G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

Group One Railway Stakes

West Australian Racing
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited November 2019 West Australian Racing
Just a week away, perhaps not the strongest edition, but should be very open, unsure of eastern states horse's arriving, noticed Best Of Days and Land Of Plenty still in betting and a few others, but looking a bit thin there too.

At this stage looks even with the barrier draw crucial. Tell'em We're Comin with Willy Pike on board a likely favourite, with The Velvet King and Samizdat just under 10/1.

Not overly keen on the fave's, but even less keen on the outsiders. Even though won't be as well off at the weights give Star Exhibit some hope, just the way it won first up, seemed to have lengths up his sleeve, but was 50/1 and better, same as Perth Cup victory! Can't catch him but can't knock the first up win either. Will throw him in somewhere.

Tell'em We're Comin, he's a deserving fave in a race that looks to have many chances, with luck in running the key. Seen Railway's dominated by on speed runners over the 1600 and others where they've flooded home.

For many many years the Railway was over the 1500 metre journey, think was about 20 years ago changed to the 1600 metres.

Any thoughts on the prospective winner most welcome!

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2019
    Did see a replay of an eastern states horse named Iko winning a Railway he was last into the straight, Marwong too he came from a mile back to win, and think drew an outside barrier, they came with withering runs.

A great old horse Marjoleo won from the despised 16 barrier draw and another very good WA horse Fair Sir was placed from the extreme outside draw.

Then other Railway's the first 5 or 6 in running have stayed that way, with the backmarkers unable to get into it.

Miss Muffet she was a great winner. Better Loosen Up another, he'd pick this field up at the 200 and race away. No comparison the eastern states horse's that arrive today compared to Iko, Marwong and Better Loosen up - those three were all class. Getting Closer another superb winner from over east.

Better Loosen Up won a Railway Stakes and a Japan Cup! A winning double that will never be repeated for eternity.
  • OhsomodestOhsomodest    67 posts
    I like Regal Power. Meets Samizdat 3kg better and Samizdat was third up last start whereas RP was first up. Extra distance suits.
    Has it been confirmed that Pike rides Tellem We’re Comin? Would’ve thought Bob might have a say in that.

Ohsomodest likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Riders I think BLU was actually for sale when he won the railway or just after winning it
    edited November 2019
    That did cross the mind, after writing thought gee's is Pikey definetly riding the fave! Still inclined to think a 90% chance of that. Hoops have to be declared before the barrier draw. Don't know if that was always the case ?

No more important barrier draw for a Railway than this one! There's a few of the fave's that wouldn't go anywhere near from an outside draw.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    I think you are being very generous saying perhaps not the strongest edition. This would most likely be the lowest rated group 1 of the year. No disrespect to any horse in the race or any owners having a crack, if I had an 90+ rater running around at the moment I'd be getting excited about having a Group1 runner. I agree, it will be an open race.

While there is no evidence he'll make the trip, I thought Cliffs Edge could have been the perfect candidate for the race, leading them a merry dance and grinding them down in the run home.

Looking at the order of entry and the fact that most of the ES states horses won't be coming, Tell em Were Coming looks the best chance and the market reflects that. I would be warming to Reykjavik after a good win at 1400 last start and won the winter championship at Flemington last prep after a similar step in races. Gatting going under the radar for mine at $14 and has to carry 4kg more than last year, bit what a year it's been for the champ, he is up to his ears here. Let's not forget his win 4 starts ago against a far superior lineup and the latest run here was excellent finding one better in Star Exhibit, who gets weight off Gatting again and looks well forward to last year in it's prep toward a 3rd Perth Cup, which is probably off the cards as of he goes well in the next 3 starts and wins one then Bob won't run him with 60kg surely in the PC. Samizdat and The Velvet King are the up and comers and I'm leaning Samizdat between those two. Massive query on a hard run 1600m for Samizdat not running ever past 1400m while the Velvet King has won at 1600m, albeit in much weaker company. The last for me is Variation, gets in on the minimum and was a ripping run over 1400m at Flemington last start.

Lots to digest but am looking forward to a final field soon to get stuck in

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    just wait until Tuesday afternoons barrier draw..all is mere speculation until then.

hash likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Yeah, true bomber, but that saying.."have you ever tried to win one" comes into play, but agree too, for a Group One, my goodness but then again there's a few Group Ones on the Australian Racing calendar that are questionable and over east too.

However when calling a race a Group One - let's have a few more Group runners. Thank goodness for 10/1 chance Gatting the grand campaigner at least gives the race some Group One worthiness.

Not being negative and despite the "have you ever tried to win one"...this is not what would call a Group One field. We all want to see the locals do well - but top class eastern states representation is a must. It's the same every year - I mean last year horse's like Hartnell were mentioned as possibilities - many of the ES horse's had as much chance of coming as the good lord arriving for the second coming tomorrow!

But get an 8/1 or 12/1 winner and it doesn't matter! Also if an owner, don't blame ya...I'd be hoping none of them come.

Still need to look at the overall picture and despite how the spin doctors will be saying this is a very good edition of the Railway ( they always do )...well it's not really. In saying that the winner will be more than deserving.
    edited November 2019
    Also the field sizes in the lead up race's the Lee Steere and Peter's....their should be a racing Royal Commission into field sizes!

7 horse's ran in the Lee Steere - an important lead up to a Railway and get 7 runners, okey doke nothing to see here..move on.

As Steve Wolfe said in that interview - somebody with initiative needs to take WA racing forward!

Can recall many years of back page "West Australian" newspaper headlines of very good WA horse's missing a start in a Railway - balloted out to the emergency list, or right out completely. These horse's were very capable, mostly up and comers.

thefalcon likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    I thought B Avdulla was riding TEL rm were comin

H-BOMBER likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Variation is an interesting one bomber, didn't give him any chance, but with the field falling away, and that run at Flemington he's right back in the good books.

Didn't like him at Flemmo, but think I still overrate those Eastern Staters!
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Is there Racing on ?
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Brenton Advulla has been confirmed to ride Tell Em Were Comin. I’d expect Pike to ride Regal Power
    just wait and see what horses step off the planes due today and tomorrow....until then...a speculative raffle...
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    Avdulla*
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Winners trained at ascot on a daily basis.to win a railway  seems like   hard work nowadays-------could have made a mistake multiple winner Lucky Grey (2) only horse trained from ascot since  belle bizarre   won in 2006
    edited November 2019
    That's very interesting with the riding engagements.

Also thats true when final field takes shape and barrier draw, the race always looks better, and then a good time to get stuck into it.

Can only beat what's against you, will be good to see Avdulla here too, the ES hoops add something to the race and day.
  • ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    I have a feeling Best Of Days will be the only ES runner in the Railway.As Snowden has just pulled the plug on Land of Plenty.
    Ashlor out of Winterbottom
    but 2 planes are due, Chelsea, one today and another tomorrow.
  • ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    edited November 2019
    thefalcon said:

Falc I would say that uncle Bob has a great idea who’s coming.
    Willie Pike already booked for Regal Power and he was number 55 in order of entry,also scratched yesterday
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Looking back at history of winners (and respective weights). Not a race for top weights, last winner at top weight was Luckgray. Starting to think gattings chance was last year :((
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    thefalcon said:

They put on two planes,all expenses seemingly covered and still nobody comes?

Says quite a bit actually. L Smith must be loving it the free transport and all. Power to him.

It just another million dollar race now. They just don't get out of bed for that anymore with what's available on their door step. Geez Newcastle had a million dollar race yesterday!!!

thefalcon, detonator, Chelsea likes this post.

they (RWWA) cover the airfares but if you win one of the big ones you have to cough up..which is fair enough..
  • ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    Final list of horses tomorrow on @PerthRacing chartered flight. At the moment...
    Godolphin - Best of Days, Tally, Trekking, Widespread and possibly Home of the Brave.
    McEvoy - Hey Doc
    @OTIRacing - Gailo Chop and Tom Melbourne
    @cmaherracing - Dubious and possible Spirit Of Valour
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

thefalcon said:

They put on two planes,all expenses seemingly covered and still nobody comes?

Says quite a bit actually. L Smith must be loving it the free transport and all. Power to him.

It just another million dollar race now. They just don't get out of bed for that anymore with what's available on their door step. Geez Newcastle had a million dollar race yesterday!!!

And there is a million dollar mile at Kembla Grange on Saturday against the Railway

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    Avduffer is riding the fav? 8-X
    edited November 2019
    That's not great news on the eastern state non arrivals....hope nobody touched the silly prepost all in markets on any ES horse - unless Best Of Days which they probably had short enought in the 478% market anyway.

Their was just something about the win of Star Exhibit, gotta watch replay again, but seeing it live, don't know if just me but reckon had 6 lengths up its sleeve, but 50/1 chances don't normally win like that.

Second up into a Railway with the weight disadvantage and will get back, but will be watching closely in regards to Perth Cup and in what's not the strongest Railway give him a chance just the same.
    edited November 2019
    Those others who look like coming - Gailo Chop well he's 8 and knocks around with them ok, and Tom Melbourne, yep pass.

Tally - pretty sure ran a second to a very handy horse - Winx.

Hey Doc - seen win some good races.
    edited November 2019
    With subject to change before the all important barrier draw and final field declared...these are my five. No particular order.
    1. Regal Power
    2. Star Exhibit
    3. Gatting
    4. Tell'em We're Commin
    5. Best Of Days - always get sucked into the e staters.

Next best The Velvet King - if draws 3 - 8 goes up a notch.

Shouldn't but could easily miss the winner in those six, so suddenly the Group 1 doesn't look too bad and at the very least should be 5/1 or 6/1 the field.

Gotta bit doubt a few at the tough Railway 1600 metres, might be the stronger types swooping late. Shall see.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    So why doesn't anyone want to come here ?
    maybe they remember the LG > HR protest...... X(

jum likes this post.