G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 2 Non Members

Too many Stallions in WA

Breeding
DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
I may have suggested this five years ago or so, but it appears in this morning's ANZ Bloodstock News as a revelation.

I don't know if that link will work unless you subscribe.

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Neville been doing his bit in last few years Playing God .God has  Spoken, Rommel.and mentioned  War Saint. as possible sire after his guineas win ,as ones that have come through his yard..

Does W.A Trainers operate on same eastern states trainers guidelines if they have trained a entire that has won a group 1 or 2 race it entitle's them to one lifetime sevice--- free of any sevice fee.when it goes to stud.

No wonder the trainers are recommending the well bred ones or any that are showing early day promise  to keep the plums, could make more out them if they cut the mustard as a sire.then on racetrack. 

Remmeber  reading about a person who had invested in 5k. share in sir tristram at the start of his stud life, at career end it had earned him 2mil.  Can see why stallions are coming from all angles. with everybody hoping.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    There are no Stallion making races in Perth. There would be a case for a Karrakatta Plate winner that went on to win a Winterbottom perhaps, but the only real value in winning here is if you have won a time honored event in the East.

Simply winning races is not enough either. You must come from a producing family at least of Gr 3 level and above.

There are very few examples I can hold up locally with the passing of Blackfriars, who would have been the most recent example of a genuine group horse who produced group horses. War Chant would have been close but he is very much a senior citizen now at 22 years of age.

So what we have in WA are producers of Wednesday and Saturday horses with the occasional black type winner if Bob Peters has one get under his guard. If people are advocating a reduction in overall numbers, I couldn't tell them where to begin because I think the majority are in the same boat.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts

Neville been doing his bit in last few years Playing God .God has  Spoken, Rommel.and mentioned  War Saint. as possible sire after his guineas win ,as ones that have come through his yard..

Does W.A Trainers operate on same eastern states trainers guidelines if they have trained a entire that has won a group 1 or 2 race it entitle's them to one lifetime sevice--- free of any sevice fee.when it goes to stud.

No wonder the trainers are recommending the well bred ones or any that are showing early day promise  to keep the plums, could make more out them if they cut the mustard as a sire.then on racetrack. 

Remmeber  reading about a person who had invested in 5k. share in sir tristram at the start of his stud life, at career end it had earned him 2mil.  Can see why stallions are coming from all angles. with everybody hoping.

I reckon the trainers would get the free service (or something equal to it), i know for sure that the jockeys do.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Add another one. Leonardo Da Hinchie
    paraletic said:

Add another one. Leonardo Da Hinchie

Where is he standing ? Not listed on the Breeders page, I presume it is a purchase for next season.

Leonardo da Hinchi although he didn't win a Gr 1, he does have a strong family history behind him that recently includes Jet Spur and further back to Zeditave 35 stakes winners (sire of Magic Albert 20 stakes winners and Strategic sire of 25 stakes winners) and Alannon 2 stakes winners (sire of Falvalon 11 stakes winners) that's not a bad curriculum vitae. A lot will depend on who is standing him and the quality of mares he can attract. That being the single largest problem in the State at the moment, getting outside mares.
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Standing at Gold Front

DamienWyer likes this post.

The number of Stallions continues to grow with Long Leaf announced as standing this coming season at Rangeview, but no withdrawals from the market of note. With War Chant rising 23 years of age and Blackfriars, Trade Fair and Demerit all deceased and in the WA Top Ten by stakes earnings, it seems that there will be room for something to take over here in WA. Most likely that will be  Universal Ruler by sheer weight of numbers but there still is a long time until the breeding season opens for business.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts

The number of Stallions continues to grow with Long Leaf announced as standing this coming season at Rangeview, but no withdrawals from the market of note. With War Chant rising 23 years of age and Blackfriars, Trade Fair and Demerit all deceased and in the WA Top Ten by stakes earnings, it seems that there will be room for something to take over here in WA. Most likely that will be  Universal Ruler by sheer weight of numbers but there still is a long time until the breeding season opens for business.

From the success Maschino has had so far surely his popularity is on the rise, considering not too many mares that went his way appear to be high quality

Bucks, MinesACorona likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    Would be nice to have the mare population to support a 15-30k proven bull here. Second stringers UR, PG, Maschino, Sessions, Snippetson, All American are looking like they'd keep a stallion like that honest

MinesACorona likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    War Chant probably the closest comparison to that ?
    Didn't get the numbers here due to issues other than the ability of his stock, so i'd think (age, fertility etc).
    Don't get carried away with two year old racing, after all it doesn't have the RJ Peters influence.

MinesACorona dislikes this post.

• MinesACoronaMinesACorona    184 posts

Don't get carried away with two year old racing, after all it doesn't have the RJ Peters influence.

Given the pattern of breeding in WA I think it important to get "carried away" with 2yo racing.
    The prizemoney with WestSpeed is superb.
    Why should the RJ Peter's lack of 2yos have any influence on the breeding in WA.
    It's a window for those that haven't access to the same breeding opportunities as Mr Peter's.