G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Gloucester Park Chinese Newyear celebrations 7/2/2020

Harness & Greyhounds
Thought I'd get the ball rolling early, participants have thrown their weight behind this meeting with all bar one race having full fields at acceptance time.

20 degree minimum forecast so a nice balmy night, I implore anyone who has no plans to get along, enjoy the festivities and Bet up! Hopefully we can isolate a few to have a punt on before Friday afternoon.
+1 -1

JayJay, jum, savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Always a big crowd.---------- What about the humour of 2010 Chinese new year 19/2/2010, same night as first round of heats of 2010 inters held at Harold Park.

Group of harness workers either they worked for g.p. or rwwa or both-----were sent over to bring back some ideas for the 2012  inters series --to be held at, G.P.

That night at g.p there was 7,000-7,500 at G.P. and only 3,500-4,000 at H.P. to witness the first round of inters- heats. All reports they had a good time.

VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Race 1- Sir Galahad
    Race 2- As Happy As Larry
    Race 3- Culpeka
    Race 4- Double Expresso
    Race 5- HandsAndWheels
    Race 6- Iceenothink
    Race 7- Theo Aviator
    Race 8- Has No Fear
    Race 9- Ace Bromac
    Race 10- Walsh

Not a bad card at all at GP this Friday for the Chinese New Year Fireworks Night with the Governors Cup & the Daintys Daughter Classic the standout races.

Gilgamesh, savethegame, curmudgeon likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    My main bets are looking like:

R4: No10 Misstiano. Could be leaders back but more likely 3 back the pegs behind Tiffany Rose and Star Fromthepalace. I think Grantham will run the last 1200m along trying to take the wind out of Double Expresso which will open up the field Seeing Misstiano getting off the pegs. I really think driven cold she will absolutely motor late. Has been $20 and $4 a place during the week.

R5: No12 Handsandwheels. I want to see how he looks on the night as it looks like being humid and to my eye the trip up from Capel has taken it out of him before. That said I do like 12 as a nice soft draw for him, he should be close enough that he can sprint over them.

R7: No11 Clarenden Hustler. Jayjays horse should not be 60/1 plus here. If he got the gaps I think he would have won last start. This is a completely different race but its not a given that Theo Aviator just walks to the front and does what he likes, worth a few pennies.

R9: No10 Twoandahalf Tigers. Soft run on the leaders back can get past him late. Baylan Jet isn't the worst 50/1 pop following him either.

R10: No3 Jilliby Jake I thought he might surprise and take up the running but even just off them is a winning chance.

Good luck all.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    No Tip as yet what you wing the wong number
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    Early Quaddie.

R1: Braken Sky is one of mine but I don't think he is going well enough so he is out. Money suggests Im Beta Than Gouda might be taking it up, stable is having a reasonable run so its in with Sir Galahad who I thought may just waltz to the front but if he's made to race could be vulnerable. I want a run on horse in case these two over do it so Taking Soho Thunderstruck as the late closer.
    Numbers: 3,6,8.
    R2: Looks pretty simple with Son Of A Tiger leading up Courage Tells making them the two to beat but again want a run on horse with them, I think Oneonthewood is a chance to not be too far back and he continues to race as well as he can week in week out.
    Numbers: 1,2,4.
    R3: I'm not a massive Bletchley Park fan, no doubt is an impressive horse when he gets it in on his terms but with him not being a flier off the arm he does need the others to pander to him somewhat. Probably every chance to happen here though. Conversely Culpeka impresses me more every time I see him but will no doubt be doing some work. If Burning Rubber was mine I'd be holding up and making them beat me, he has to go in. The other horse I like is Marquisard but I just can't see him getting a suitable run to cause the boilover.
    Numbers: 1,4,10.
    R4: Star Fromthepalace could surprise and hold Tiffany Rose but Deni usually isn't that kind of driver so it looks pretty simple on paper. Really looking forward to booting Misstiano home, go you good thing. Happy to take Double Expresso on. If they run it upside down there are a host of other chances.
    Numbers: 1,3,10. 100% costs $81.

No main Quaddie for me, I can't see a lot of value in it although Theo is vulnerable, I don't want to be coming home one out with Bettor Pack It at a short price but I don't want to take anything else in that leg either.,

Novelties.

I thought Race 4 was good for a First Four anchoring the 3 I like in the Quaddie to run 1,2 (1 Star Fromthepalace, 3 Tiffany Rose, 10 Misstiano) 6 Double Expresso can do work and hold on to 3rd with 11 Run For Mercy to also be a chance closing late off a soft run and 12 Blockjorg is a chance for 4th off that same run. FF:1,3,10/1,3,10/1,3,6,10,11/1,3,6,10,11,12. 100% costs $54.

Again good luck all.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Major Spoilt to run a nice race off the soft draw in the 2nd?

curmudgeon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Can mon Lillie’s cross them all and give some cheek?
  • BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Surely Jnr had a brain fade on Sir Galahad?? Drove completely different to pre race comment.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Lead time in Race 1 of 63.8 is equivalent to a mile rate of 1:50.2.
  • MorganJamesMorganJames    175 posts
    Why is the inquiry adjourned ??
    Has to be a no brainer and Automatic 6 weeks on the night 
    Cant possibly be any evidence from driver to not be charged by stewards...

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited February 2020
    I'm Betta Than Gouda and Sir Galahad they'd want a lazy day today. Richard Bell summed it up in one word - ballistic!

He also referred to a "flock of seagulls" in the run, a group by the same name had a teriffic song in the 80's - I Ran - those two in Betta and Galahad certainly did.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Im not really a fan of the pre race interviews on track - however some of them are ok - Kyle Harper i thought was very good - he said his horse in the main race was a free rolling type and he would go forward from the 6 gate - he nearly led - but challenged for about 200 metres - all good - all realistic 

As for Hall jnr in the 1st - i heard the interview - he said conservative 1st part of race - then aggressive 2nd part . Watching the start ( and tactics can change - horses can begin better or worse than expected ) but he went hard from the gate - then challenged for 3 qtrs of a lap - and never looked like leading

Now if that occurred in NSW- (and they couldnt careless if it was the no 1 driver  ) - they would say that was a totally unrealistic attempt to lead - and how long he persisted to lead - and the pre race tactics he informed the public of - then the driver would cop a penalty of 8-12 weeks 

But that wont happen in WA - because they are tremendously soft and forgiving when handing out penalties right down the line compared to NSW . You only have to look at penalties in NSW for cobalt and high TC and compare them to WA - and that is the only conclusion you can draw - the WA penalties are alot less in time than those handed out in NSW 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    There's been a couple of drivers that have done the 100% complete opposite of what was said in the parade ring at Pinjarra lately too. Drivers saying they'll hand up to a specific horse and then instead holding it out.

Isnt there a rule against it, from an impact on betting outlook? Particularly when said driver finishes well back as a consequence?
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    i tthought there was another shocking tactical drive on the weekend - and that was in the SA Pacing Cup - there main race for the year - and i wasnt financially invested - and that was K Rogers driving the number 3 - an 80-1 pop . Last night they didnt have the stewards abbreviation/comments next to the runners - but they have got it now - they queried the tactics - and like Hall it is an adjourned inquiry 

13 Furlong race - Rogers is in the breeze - Greg  Sugars driving a $3 pop - hooked 3 wide to get the breeze - Rogers on the 80-1  pop - shook his head and said i am not handing up - your posted . Rogers horse ran last beaten 159 metres - it was going that slow in the back straght the last time - you could have walked quicker than it 

It will be interesting when they hold the inquiry 

Just my opinion - which i am entitled to - but the Hall/Rogers adjourned inquiries  could end up a very good 21 hand - a pair of 10s 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited February 2020
    Hahaha he's a shocker that Ken Rogers marko, although makes a few races interesting that's for sure.

Pre-race comments - some good, some are all hocus pocus.

As mentioned somewhere else could you imagine blokes like Jim Schrader, Bob Pollock, Les Poyser etc telling you there tactics before a race haha I mean seriously, if you asked them for the right time, they'd have said its p.m and that's all.

Some of those crusty ol drivers you'd wouldn't wanna go near, and rightly so. Been saying it for ages - when the horses come onto the track - the racecourse is for the reinsman and horse - nobody else - take your cameras and get off the track!

Can't tell me where a camera and another two and sometimes three people on track hasn't occasionally stirred up a horse - it's all baloney - and put on for show, do it all OFF the course.

Under a minute before start - what a joke.
    edited February 2020
    The races have become just as bad - interviewing jockeys just as there about to go into the barrier - sometimes the horse abit unruly or beginning to play up - but we must have that interview - inane questions - inane answers.

If just one horse is bothered - it's one too many, let alone the hoops and drivers - leave them to do what they do best - ride, drive and run!

Take your cameras and inane questions and go back to Massachusetts.

Realise I'm in the minority, but hey that's the way it goes.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited February 2020
    An S Loone special in the race before the cup too Marko ....talk about getting ambition and capability mixed up.

Markovina likes this post.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    Sir Galahad sectionals
    first half 55.82
    2nd half 60.52
    3rd half 29.90, 33.56 = last half 63.46
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Riders, I wouldn't know Ken Rogers if I fell over him.....and he has clearly driven a poor race in the Cup as Marko has highlighted.....but to label him a "shocker"????. He was either leading driver in SA last year or narrow runner up to Danni Hill and is hardly deserving of that label. He will have to be answerable for that "shocker" of a  drive but I have watched him drive a lot of very good races of late (primarily on my old horse Smackwater Jack and others of Claire Goble's) and to just plonk the moniker of a shocker on him is very poor form.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    edited February 2020

Hill 106 winners, Rogers 105 winners