G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 37 Non Members

Coronavirus - Worth a read

West Australian Racing
https://twitter.com/libertines11111/status/1238102872430182402?s=20

The link contains an excellent article. While it doesn't have anything the do directly with Racing, I feel it necessary to share. Everyone has their own opinions and this article just sheds the reality of the situation for all.

Please remove if not appropriate Admin.

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Coronavirus? what race and how much is it paying fixed odds??

Thunderstruck, Manchild, Notapuntas likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    well, it just became relevant:

having said that... its not relevant to Perth Racing as I doubt we draw a crowd of more than 500? 

oldhendo likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Good for racing surely ?
    No one got anything to do but sit at home and punt !

H-BOMBER, jum, TheDiva likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    best ever result... 

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    just heard ernie manning waffling on...tonights trots and tomorrows racing in dire risk of cancellation!!
    we are off to hell in a hand cart..fair dinkum!!

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    Someone we know living here in Perth, has not been anywhere, has come into contact with someone carrying the virus. She and her family are now in a 14 day lock down.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    I know I'll get shot down by many/all but..under 200 cases confirmed out of 26 million people..Am not worried even a little except to say if someone hears Mingenew gallops are off pm me!
    :))
    friends in Norway..(yep scandi) returned from holiday with their 2 school age kids. no symptoms, no contacts but parents are not allowed to work for 2 weeks..they can stay home and do what they like, go shopping, to the pub, movies etc just prohibited from working their 9 to 5 jobs. the kids are carrying on normally, school, sports etc..
    the world has definitely gone stark raving mad!!!

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

I know I'll get shot down by many/all but..under 200 cases confirmed out of 26 million people..Am not worried even a little except to say if someone hears Mingenew gallops are off pm me!

I know of a confirmed case in Melbourne which could have dozens of potential contacts
    edited March 2020
    Happy to hear your views align el Falco!

It's a WOFTAM deluxe style :P

The USA only had 325 confirmed cases last Friday, they have five times that now. Surgeon General has said in an interview that perhaps 70M will carry the virus if this spreads as per current modelling. Mortality is ten times greater than that of the flu.
    Damo..to be fair though the yanks are NOT bright.
    I acknowledge I'm in the minority, stubborn asf even but I'll never be convinced we aren't overreacting.
    As for the mortality rate I can't say any more or I'll really put myself in the gun..lol

thefalcon, jum likes this post.

thefalcon said:

just heard ernie manning waffling on...tonights trots and tomorrows racing in dire risk of cancellation!!
    we are off to hell in a hand cart..fair dinkum!!
    Moonee Valley(tonight) & Caulfield are going ahead without spectators. Only participants and officials allowed.

Thunderstruck dislikes this post.

we have definitely gone nuts... 8-}

Rodent dislikes this post.

Ken oath! :))
  • ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    Belmont should be safe

Manchild likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    If you read the article, you'll be aware that confirmed cases today will be only a tiny snapshot of the actual cases.
    And for those who haven't read

The models used from Wihan indicate that confirmed cases could be around 27 times less than the actual cases.

Retrospectively, when Wuhan on a the 22nd January had 444 cases, the actual cases that have now been confirmed for THAT DATE were 12000+.

So 200 confirmed cases in Australia could mean as many as 5000 infected. And if you understand exponential growth you'll realise that left as is this number will climb rapidly within a month to more than 160000.

It's not scaremongering to inconvenience anyone. It's fact.
    @H-BOMBER China only has half that many cases tho. They managed to lock down an entire city  whereas there's clusters here everywhere. If they don't stop people arriving on planes-yet even from the US-OF-A)then who knows how bad this is gonna get? Contact tracing can only contain things for so long. I surprised the NRL is currently allowing fans until Monday, especially in Sydney...a Sharks player has a test result pending  which may change things

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    If we do everything we can now to slow the spread, then our health system has a chance of treating the vulnerable and saving their lives.
     Inaction will lead to a death rate 10x higher than it need be.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Well said @rodent

therealkramer, H-BOMBER, JimmyPop likes this post.

17 more cases in WA today jumping to 52 in total.

If people thought they might be put out now, just wait in the next 2 weeks if the trend continues. If it hasn't sunk in yet how serious this is then it will shortly. Hard to see schools and daycares being kept open for much longer and that will cause chaos!
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    Why would they close schools Bomber
    Kids bring it to the Teachers is the first thought.

So many people were laughing at this virus two weeks ago. Some had glaring obvious motives to do so. But you don't hear that much from them on social media now.

What you do hear are conspiracy theories and the idiots who believe in them.

Italy had 475 people pass away yesterday alone. Now more than 2,500. Meanwhile, Americans kids enjoy Spring break by the thousands on the beach.

From hospital records of admissions in the US, 28% under the age of 39, 18% 40-49, 18% 50-64, 5% under 19, 5% over 85 (I didn't get the other groupings). Mortality is  highest of those aged 65 plus but it is killing people under 65 especially if they have existing issues.

Singapore didn’t close schools and they’ve had the greatest model of containment and “flattening the curve” we’ve seen worldwide.

JimmyPop likes this post.

I'm lead to believe that their model and vigilance has allowed them not to close schools. Hope they don't!
    As we’ve heard from the infectious disease experts, kids aren’t generally spreading this virus nor are they getting sick as a rule. Closing schools aims to placate wealthy parents nothing more nothing less.

The lack of perspective around Corona is frightening, yep it can be serious, people die, but the world has gone completely mad about a virus that is predominantly A symptomatic in a huge population of sufferers

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

17 more cases in WA today jumping to 52 in total.

If people thought they might be put out now, just wait in the next 2 weeks if the trend continues. If it hasn't sunk in yet how serious this is then it will shortly. Hard to see schools and daycares being kept open for much longer and that will cause chaos!

They’re saying this virus could stick around for 6 months plus... 6 months for kids to be out of school without a proper education is insane
    edited March 2020

As we’ve heard from the infectious disease experts, kids aren’t generally spreading this virus nor are they getting sick as a rule. Closing schools aims to placate wealthy parents nothing more nothing less.

The lack of perspective around Corona is frightening, yep it can be serious, people die, but the world has gone completely mad about a virus that is predominantly A symptomatic in a huge population of sufferers

That's not entirely true. One of the first cases here in Sydney was some high school kid who contracted the virus from his mother, who is a health care worker. His whole school had to be shut down and cleaned whilst close contacts were isolated.
    edited March 2020

That's not entirely true. One of the first cases here in Sydney was some high school kid who contracted the virus from his mother, who is a health care worker. His whole school had to be shut down and cleaned whilst close contacts were isolated.
    That’s why I said kids aren’t generally spreading, not they weren’t able to spread it or get it.

This discussion has been closed.