0 Members & 6 Non Members

Bunbury Race 9 controversial start 13-4-20

West Australian Racing
Press conference from RWWA:

+1 -1

Uttsy likes this post.

Comments

• RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    With one hand tied behind my back, I have had to rely on very old technology in order to see what the powers that be don't want you to see.
     The gates failed to open at the proper time. The horses actually burst open the gates or the gates opened themselves about 0.4s too late. The result was that horses came out all over the shop.
     The only logic that could have been applied in not declaring a no race (and it's incredibly flawed), is that the worst affected horse was Secret Assault (after declaring Costa Del Santo a non runner) and he won the race so every horse had its chance to beat the winner.
     If I were officiating, it would most certainly have been declared a no race. 
     I bet on the race and the decision to let the race stand benefited me over $300 so I certainly am not biased.

JimmyPop likes this post.

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    Rodent said:

With one hand tied behind my back, I have had to rely on very old technology in order to see what the powers that be don't want you to see.

The gates failed to open at the proper time. The horses actually burst open the gates or the gates opened themselves about 0.4s too late. The result was that horses came out all over the shop.
     The only logic that could have been applied in not declaring a no race (and it's incredibly flawed), is that the worst affected horse was Secret Assault (after declaring Costa Del Santo a non runner) and he won the race so every horse had its chance to beat the winner.
     I bet on the race and the decision to let the race stand benefited me over $300 so I certainly am not biased.
    I agree, no matter the result it was a false start. 

Uttsy, cisco likes this post.

• UttsyUttsy    129 posts
    Rodent said:

This is what is most baffling. Unofficially via someone who was in the gates, along with a trainer who had a runner was affected, both said the gates didnt open on time and that was the problem. Im going to speak to a couple more trainers today who had runners in that race, so expecting them to say the same thing. So how does the official RWWA story become that the gates opened prematurely and that those few runners didnt receive an unfair advantage? The gates not opening on time is a completely different story?!

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    The strange thing about this is the replay doesnt start till the field has hit the ground. I watched every other replay and they all start with the horses in the gates. Was this edited so as not to show the start (all horses in the standing in the gates ready to jump) and possibly show there was definatley a false start

Uttsy, hash likes this post.

spinking said:

The strange thing about this is the replay doesnt start till the field has hit the ground. I watched every other replay and they all start with the horses in the gates. Was this edited so as not to show the start (all horses in the standing in the gates ready to jump) and possibly show there was definatley a false start

It's the only explanation. They routinely pull footage when it suits them. 

Uttsy likes this post.

There is a sequence of events at the start. You can compare the other 1108m races on the day (race 2 and 3) with race 9. Normally the gates begin to open and then horses drop down as they spring from the gates.
     In race 9, the horses start to drop down as they attempt to spring from the gates but the gates don't open for another 0.4s so they all crashed into the gates.

Uttsy likes this post.

in the vision on cris and the tab replay which are the same i think , all you se is the runners hitting the turf after the start
    edited April 2020
    Race 2 where the inside horse jumped well. You can see the gates have been released as the mechanism (in the red circle) is pointing up. Inside horse standing tall will crouch and jump in the subsequent frames. This is normal. Compare it to the final image of race 9 taken at exactly the same point of start sequence when mechanism 1st points up. 

image :-&
    png
    png
    r22.png

Uttsy likes this post.

edited April 2020
    Race 9: Before horses attempt to jump

Uttsy likes this post.

Race 9 after horses attempt to jump, you can see mechanism still pointing down.

PNG
    PNG
    222.PNG

Uttsy likes this post.

This image can be compared to race 2 (normal) as it is the first frame where the starting mechanism points up. Look at the difference of the horses' positions. Race 2 all standing straight up and then race 9 seen here

PNG
    PNG
    333.PNG
    edited April 2020
    Not as obvious with stills but when advancing frame by frame you can see in race 9 the horses lunging at the gates before they open whereas in race 2 they don't lunge forward until after the gates open.
    You can see this all just from the TV footage Rodent. Yet the people who were there involved with the situation cant seem to make the correct decision and come up with a completely different description of what has happened? 
    How on earth can stakeholders be happy with the integrity of racing if something as obvious as this can occur?
    Low and behold the vision for the last race from yesterday has now changed on both cris and the tab to show the same vision as the other 2 races on the card of the same distance. 
    Wowweee, that was nice of Sky Racing to do that for everyone
    There is something completley strange about this race. I had costa del sol as one of my quddie legs. in the official tab list he was number 2, even though he completed the race according to the tab he was a late scratching. After seeing this i watched the race replay over a few times he was definatley called in the run and run last . The reason i looked as being declared a non runner i sureley would have got something back being my percentage would have dropped. The funny thing though and my eyes may be deceiving me as the last horse goes past the post (costa del santo) if that is a number 2 saddlecloth i will walk east
    If you count up the runners on the head on shot on the back straight, theres only 13 runners, so pretty certain CDS didnt even get to leave the gates. 
    You didnt get anything back because that scratched runner reverts to the fave in the race Im pretty sure! Exact same thing happened to me.
    That was just Richy Bell doing Richy things, he rarely gets through a call on thoroughbreds without cooking it. 

loose_goose likes this post.

• ElitistElitist    365 posts
    The horse is Pasadonna, number 14. Probably wearing different colours because of the new silks/COVID rules. I backed Costa and couldn't find it in the run but Bell kept calling it, even though Pasadonna is a chestnut.

spinking likes this post.

i betta start walking
    Elitist i looked back through the day and those colours were not used on another runner throughout the day
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    spinking said:

Elitist i looked back through the day and those colours were not used on another runner throughout the day

im pretty sure denis couper saddled up delaney earlier in the day. 
    probably only has one set of colours. Get those walking shoes on Spink  :D
    Stewards report out.
    Apparently MHQ lunges at the gates causing it to open prematurely, that act then caused random gate numbers 5 and 14 to open prematurely as well...
    CDS’s gate opened, but refused to jump. Yet he’s somehow allowed to be denied a fair start and scratched?
    The reason he didn’t jump is because he hit his head into the barriers when the horse next to him jumped and got through the gate.
    Contradictory?

As I said above Diva . I beta start walking, but I will only walk to SA the reason being I could not watch the race yesterday So on looking at the replay this morning and RBell calling that horse that finished last as Costa Del Santo I thought it was . Look at the very similar colours the last horse carried as compared to CDS . So when I said I will walk east I was looking for a Jackie Panniza runner earlier in the day not a DC runner . And just on that any trainer who sends a horse out to race with a set of reins freyed or shitty enough to have to have another bridle sent over at the barrier most probably would not have a second set. The most stupid thing out of all of this is according to Tony they posted a steward report earlier and retracted it. On posting the latest report they said CDS stayed in the machine and didn't jump and looking after the punter once again failed to order it back to trials

Uttsy, TheDiva likes this post.

I’ll pay that...SA it is and self isolate for 14 days at the border!

Uttsy, spinking likes this post.

To be fair I would be battling to walk 2 laps of ascot (dodgy knees) I could walk one lap and self isolate in the 1800 bar for a a week. On a serious note how could that horse not be ordered to trial to stewards satisfaction if it refused to jump. That decision astounds me

TheDiva likes this post.

• BobcatBobcat    159 posts
    Some riders and I have witnessed it try and anticipate the start, prime example except they shouldn’t have opened. 
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    Watch heat number three from Bunbury trials on the 23rd of March.  Same thing looks to have happened and they look to be using the race day gates 

Rodent, Uttsy likes this post.

• BobcatBobcat    159 posts
    That was a horse head butting the gates and getting it’s head stuck before opening.