G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 9 Non Members

Most Underated Pacer any age group / sex

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Morgan James would be one that springs to mind, but not sure if he was more underrated (more on the East Coast) or unlucky to come up against 2 of the all time pacing greats back to back in Preux Chevalier & then Village Kid. 
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    No i will trump you VK - i think Lincoln Storm - it was below the real topliners - but it was a superior horse to Morgan James 

Morgan James - from memory had to lead to win all its races - or that was its favourite position - what was it basically all white colours of Gary Lilleyman 

Lincoln Storm could sit outside MJ and bury it for mine 

If LS made say an Inter Dominion final ( which i dont think it did ) it would run a reasonable race- about 6th 

Pretty good horse Lincoln Storm - only saw it put in one very below par run - and im pretty sure it was reported it  had a virus and was spelled
    Lincoln Storm was a tough old pacer for sure Marko, he could stay longer than your mother in law.

Mysta Magical Mach was another with unlucky timing, he just happened to come up against one of the all time greats in Quinny most races.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    A recent example for mine is My Hard Copy. For a horse that won $1.2 million and put away some handy horses in big races including Lazarus( irrespective of the relative optics - a great effort) he never carried the same aura as other Hall champs TFS ITMQ and CB.
    I think he will be a great replacement as a sire in WA for Alta Christiano.

VillageKid, Constantlybroke likes this post.

A recent example for mine is My Hard Copy. For a horse that won $1.2 million and put away some handy horses in big races including Lazarus( irrespective of the relative optics - a great effort) he never carried the same aura as other Hall champs TFS ITMQ and CB.

I think he will be a great replacement as a sire in WA for Alta Christiano.
    Great call Curmudge, MHC was a fav of mine and has a bloody great record for one so underrated.

curmudgeon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Gee, all good noms, a bit like reading through the "Flying Under The Radar" thread. All depends on what era....I think Lincoln Storm was rated, as tough as old boots and everyone knew it and Morgan James was revered late in his career, died with his boots on at trackwork one morning but both held in the highest regard by the fraternity at least. Did Shattering Class ever get the accolades he deserved or Looks Like Lightning? Hard to say. I'll throw in a couple that courtesy of running into absolute champions probably went a bit unnoticed.
    Pacific Ruler was an outstanding young horse who must have got sick of the sight of San Simeon. Nixon Adios was a star 2, 3, 4 and 5 year old and was only bettered by Pure Steel in Cup class and Hands Turn was another high quality horse that probably missed out on his due recognition. MHC....hmmm....found it hard to like him for reasons...... other than his ability but I am sure that never bothered him. All down to opinions, isn't it?
    An afterthought....Bronze Whaler was pretty much ignored because of some Morris Eden horse ......and I would have to include a Fremantle Cup winning, Interdominion runner up as a very under rated contender, Coneeda.

VillageKid, Yilgarna likes this post.

Has The Answers probably deserves a mention - won a stack of races - could be a bit of a giant killer on its night - and at a price - bit of a speed machine 

JayJay, VillageKid, TrackBias likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Growing up one of my favourites was allwoods chief,his turn of speed on his night was electric.won some decent races to.

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Most probaly going back a bit here but i see JJ you mentioned  Bronze Whaler. I heard my late father talk about him a lot and another i am thinking from the same era whether he was undertaed or not i dont know horse called No Dill

VillageKid likes this post.

Both good horses Spin, poor old Bronze Whaler, couldn't win a trick...I think out of frustration, Ray Sweetman took him to Kalgoorlie and he won a decent race at the round, a Hannans or Kal Cup. Won his Derby heat, won a lot of races but always bloused out by the champ.
    If No Dill could tell as good a story as his trainer driver, George "The Baker" James, there would be a good book in him.He was immortalised by just one race, the Christmas Handicap Final, when George got itchy fingers and dashed past Mount Eden with 3 furlongs to go, not forgetting to give Jack Miles a bit of unsolicited advice on the way past, only for the great horse to pick himself up of the canvass and regain the lead 50 metres out as No Dill stopped to a walk.
    What is forgotten however is that No Dill was anything but a dill....he won successive Bunbury Cups, a Pinjarra Cup, a Winter Cup and a bunch of other races. He was a three quarter brother to grand mare Matilda Bay who won an Empress Stakes for Dennis Richards as I recall.

VillageKid, spinking, Yilgarna likes this post.

• PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Ima Rocket Star for the Bond's a beautiful looking Stallion always did it tough in Perth
    won over east to . ( My most under rated )
    I'd think not the best but probably the toughest horse they had .
    I'll throw in another 2,
     Hy Falutin ( Trevor Warwick )
     Big Town Walton ( Kim Prentice )

I think both Horses may have started Favourite in the W.A Pacing Cup or Freo Cup.
    Is that correct Chariots on Fire?

Rocket Star didn't win over East...but he did run 2nd in a Chariots and Hy Falutin ran 3/1 fav in Admirals Avenue's Pacing Cup win and Big Town Walton same in The Falcon strikes Cup win when TFS drew 9.
    What was that other good horse George James had in the 80s Jay Jay - Gary James  use to drive it - they use to back it every now and again 

Did he have green colours - im trying to  remember - old George James hey i reckon he would have made a good poker player - you wouldnt know whether he had a pair of 2s or 4 aces 

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Shattering Class

A winter wonder - Dashing away soaked in rain and mud at GP with the flood lights reflecting off his jet black coat.

VillageKid, TrackBias, jum likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Waxing lyrical like John Hunt, Panda.

VillageKid, jum likes this post.

Maroon and gold quarters from memory Marko. I think they cleaned up with a horse called Two Wells a few times and maybe Dallas Brigade?

Markovina, VillageKid likes this post.

Two Wells landed a plunge at Bendigo in the 50s or 60s.
    Big Town Walton ran 2nd in the Fremantle Cup and 4th in the Pacing Cup both behind The Falcon Strike in 2002.

On that basis I doubt he would have run favourite and I finished bookmaking in 2001.
    Two Wells was a 1969 (September) foal.

HRA results list Big Town Walton (4th) at 3/1 from gate 4, The Falcon Strike (1st) at 4/1 from gate 9 and Lombo Rapida (2nd) 4/1 from gate 1....don't know how accurate those prices are but that is what is recorded.
  • squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    Skiptar was very handy, made a living chasing San Simeon around from memory. Any other year...

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

Yes, Skiptar didn't do a whole lot as a 2 and 3 year old (Pacific Ruler was San Simeon's chopping block at 2 and 3) but as a 4 year old, he grew a leg and won his first 3 starts, including a win over the ageing champ Pure Steel, albeit Steelo started from a 50m handicap. Then in the 4year old classic, Skiptar lead easily with San Simeon parked in the chair...it was no contest up the straight, San Simeon ran away. In the 4 and 5 year old Championship, San Simeon won his heat and Skiptar the other ...but it was a stellar line up for the final.....Whispering Campaign, Rhetts Law, Race Ruler, All Bert, Society Guy....Skiptar ran 3rd behind San Simeon and Society Guy. Next up the Romeo Hanover at Fremantle, Skiptar lead easily with San Simeon covering the field from last to sit in the breeze....Skippy was 2nd yet again. I think that is when the very confident trainer of Skiptar, the ebullient Dougie Pelham, waved the white flag. However they met again in a lead up to the Pacing Cup heats....Skiptar lead early but San Simeon took over and order was restored with Skiptar 2nd and Pacific Ruler 3rd. In a heat of the Pacing Cup, Skiptar ran the champ to a half head and Dougie fired up for the final, but Skippy was nowhere to be seen as San Simeon easily accounted for King Carramar and Local Mark. He must have hated the sight of the white sox of Leo.

squid69, VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Remember Skiptar nearly running down San Simeon who was first up from a spell one night Squid. During the next week Doug Pelham declared San Simeon would never beat him again ( in Don Steedmans farrier shop in Byford.)
    Next start a much fitter San Simeon sat in the breeze outside Skiptar and put him to the sword.
    Skiptar was a fine little horse by the same token....the other bloke was a champion.

Yilgarna, squid69, VillageKid likes this post.

• YilgarnaYilgarna    32 posts
    edited May 2020
    FRK's pair of Rite and Ritual very really good consistent performers in top company that got a few accolades, but I thought deserved more.

Baltic Eagle was all washed up before K .Prentices training masterclass.
    1- The horse to have the desire to get of the canvas ( Career looked done and dusted )
    2- Kim Prentice in finding the Key to the Horse and pulling of a Interdom win in N.Z
        thank you very much .
    If M.Purdon the accolades wouldn't be ending.  ( Perth boy oh well ! )

As a whole I think we under estimate our Horses & Horse People

F . Kersley with Masterclass  another to be mentioned.
    Don't hear much of him in discussion.

Masterclass covered in previous thread "Top 50 WA Pacers Of All Time"....it is an old thread, and a long one, pages and pages ...and on a rotten stormy day, worth a scan through if you have a couple of hours.

VillageKid, PictureSon1973, jum likes this post.

Yilgarna said:

FRK's pair of Rite and Ritual very really good consistent performers in top company that got a few accolades, but I thought deserved more.

FRK had a stack of very good fast class pacers that were probably just short of the real top class but they won plenty of races in the 1980s- Rite, Ritual, Gap Road, Indian Chant, Aladdins Lamp, Cherokee Chief , Abenteur, Raceaway Too, Paavo, Lumber Leon, Prince Paladin.....and many more

Yilgarna likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts

Shattering Class

A winter wonder - Dashing away soaked in rain and mud at GP with the flood lights reflecting off his jet black coat.

He was a great horse. I recall as a 3yo, he was taking on the older horses in MO's etc and won a few. 

Not sure if anyone else remembers but pretty sure he bit Allwoods Chief one time, when they were jostling in a race.
    FRK won open features and/or Free For Alls with all that you mentioned above VK except Lumber Leon who never won an aged open class event....and I think Greg Harper was training Prince Palladin at the time he won in open company. Add in Graduate Boy, Neeron Boy and Nautilus ....and I thought Smiley Lad.....who ran 3rd in an APC at Globe Derby with Chooky on board....but no, he was only driving Smiley Lad because Tricky had two in the final which he won on Swapzee Bromac......a $130k race at GD Park, they wouldn't pay that amount out in a month over there now.

VillageKid, Yilgarna likes this post.

Thanks Jay Jay I'll look it up.