Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Outside of the obvious WA champions, in no particular order-

Zakara
    Our Pow Wow
    Scotlyn Ray
    Graymoore Dream
    Paavo

Could have thrown in many others as well- Governor Guinness, Ballantines, Sinn Fein, Indian Chant, Justaboyden....

curmudgeon, JayJay likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Henry Butler 1st emeg
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Tattoo

Sneaky Charlie

Snakes and Ladders

Keval ( saw it one night at RR - put the sword right through Morgan James - ha ) 

And i am going  to chuck a galloper in - because as a kid in the 60s - this horse had the biggest boom on it outside of Phar Lap - and it was a great horse - Tobin Bronze

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Social Aspect good horse & liked the name,

curmudgeon likes this post.

You do realise participants ....these lists will be examined by expert psychologists to work out your individual characteristics? ;) :-j

VillageKid, Yilgarna, JayJay, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Chivalrous Fella
    Motobucci
    Scanio
    Of Auld Aberdeen

curmudgeon, JayJay, Gilgamesh likes this post.

They’ll be more confused than I am by the time their finished

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    1. Red Monaro
    2.Syrian Prince
    3.Pride Of Kentucky
    4.Kiwi Raider
    5. Mark Tabella

I was going to put in one of Graham Taylors - but i cant remember its name 

He allways had 2-3 handy horses - not world beaters - but earners

The one im trying to remember - won the last  race at a Northam Sat night meeting - because i was in attendance - was out 5-6 wide around the 1st bend - then there was a scrimmage - it  as a result lobbed a beautiful spot - and went on and won 

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Was it Graymoore Dream Marko?

Some of those you named Snakes And Ladders was a fav of mine, Keval ran in a WA Pacing Cup final (85) the one Village Kid upset Preux Chevalier thanks to a superb drive from Coulson. Sneaky Charlie was a little bit before my time but do remember him racing first up at GP one day after a few years break from the track.

Markovina likes this post.

• YilgarnaYilgarna    32 posts
    Paleface Pennant
    Parking
    Melton Neptune
    Watsie
    Anna's Ann

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

Maybe Sportsmans Dream, very good horse, knocked off Chandon in the Champagne Stakes, one of the few to beat Chandon. Also won the 3yo Sires Produce Stakes, the Battle Of Bunbury etc. He was a good trainer Graham Taylor, had a lot of success in between building horse floats I think.

VillageKid likes this post.

My first emergency was Mystery Cargo 2nd em Keystone Express.

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    Allwoods chief
    Norms daughter
    Golden goddess
    No blue manna
    Saab

curmudgeon, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Nebulizer
    Lively Medley
    Shattering Class
    Elite Shadow
    Our Sir Vancelot

The Accelerator (Emg 1)
    Lock And Load (Emg 2)

Nebulizer narrowly beaten in the 98 Pacing Cup, my grandfather took me up and I watched that from the press box at Gloucester Park. Our Sir Vancelot beat him who is also one of my favs.

Lively Medley was as good a horse on raw ability I’ve ever seen....injury riddled career and didn’t get to the heights he should have done.

Shattering Class as mentioned many times before, he was an absolute delight to watch growing up and loved how he performed on nights with the track playing as a heavy 10.

Elite Shadow running second in the Pacing Cup to Sunshine Band was the first one I ever went too as a child. He was a fav but probably more so because Kim drove him.

The Accelerator and Lock And Load were two great free for all horses who I enjoyed watching.

Those were the golden years for me and the reason I’m doomed to never leave this industry haha

curmudgeon, JayJay, Offthebit, Gilgamesh, jum likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Please don't,PMP.. Great industry run by people who have little idea..The tab included.. imo

VillageKid likes this post.

• OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    5 horses that sucked me in as a young fella going to GP every friday night

Chandon
    Whitby Heritage
    Talladega
    Highfield Jewel
    Our Royal Lad

I remember Our Royal Lad zooming around a very quick mile one night, maybe broke the track record...think he did that a couple of times, once at Pinjarra and once at GP. He had some toe that horse.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Our Royal Lad's feet never touched the ground that night with Phil Coulson sitting as quiet as a church mouse and broke the track record that stood for many years. Ran 10th at his next start. B-)

LBH trained but he didn't drive that night (suspended?) but horse ran 1.54.2 and won easily, as you say hard held....on a dead track. It was an Inters heat night and Norm's Daughter won a heat later in the night in 1.56.0. It did put a picket fence together about 6 months later.

Offthebit, curmudgeon likes this post.

Lyle Lindau - had a couple of smart pacers - and the one im thinking of ( again i cant remember its name ) - but 2 things happened with this horse 

It was in a Sat  night meeting at Harvey ( i was in attendance again )  - and it was backed ( there was about 7-8 bookies their ) from evens to about  5 to 2 on take 2/5 . Keval was a young horse at the time ( FRK might have had it ) and it was about 5 to 1 ( the only other horse in the market ) and it led all the way ( it had a bit of zip then ) and it beat Lyles horse a half head 

And i will never forget - Bill Mack -( it was one of those Mack bros bookies ) - i can picture the expression he had on his face now - he was smiling like a Cheshire   Cat - and honestly he was nearly doing handstands in the betting ring - and he was shaking hands with everyone on sight - must have laid that fave for a stack - and was deadset delirious got beat

That same pacer of Lyles did one of thing -or was the 1st pacer to do it - and this was just shy of 40 years ago  - GP had just made a rule re the mobile start - being if you gallop at the start /score up - then its no longer a false start - you just get left - and Lyles horse was odds on again - drew about  gate 3 - and it got left 100 metre - and it was declared a start ( 1st time that happened under the new rule ) much to the ire of the favourite punters

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Sinbad Bay - had so many leg issues, but just so much guts. Still won as a 12yo.
    Zakara - Tough, and that big flowing mane, just beautiful looking horse.
    Motobuchi - drove him in trackwork a couple of times, kind and was just an all round professional.
    Themightyquinn -  Electric.
    Shardons Rocket -  gave plenty of ppl the sh$ts with his racing style, but to stand up right to the end of his age limit, was remarkable.

• OffthebitOffthebit    597 posts
    JayJay said:

LBH trained but he didn't drive that night (suspended?) but horse ran 1.54.2 and won easily, as you say hard held....on a dead track. It was an Inters heat night and Norm's Daughter won a heat later in the night in 1.56.0. It did put a picket fence together about 6 months later.

Spot on JayJay except for the dead track. It was a still balmy night hence the fact norms daughter broke the 2100m track record a few races later. Village Kid had his two track records taken off him within a matter of hours.

John hunt rightly put it after the second record fell, willie would not be amused by this....

I'm a bit biased putting our royal lad on the list. A mate of mine and i bought him cheaply a few starts after he broke the track record and spelled him. He won 6 races for us and gave us a great thrill as our first ever winner as owners. Best win was his last win at bunbury winning by a massive margin taking the scalps of flashing star and leg before.
    I remember at the time thinking...how easy is this owning caper?? 
    How long has this been going on?? 
    Unfortunately after many attempts and owning lots of handy ones (plenty of barinas), i never had one as good as him.

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    I left out Popular Alm,never saw him live and only on my old mans video tapes “vin knight a knight to remember” but what an animal could also throw in bag limit.

• squid69squid69    1,434 posts
    edited May 2020
    Billy Conda - used to watch the replays on ABC telly on a Friday night. He was a little fella who used to love sitting three or four back on the pegs then fly home.

Cornish Rouge - I saw him race as a kid, a big bay or chestnut I think - striking looking

Aran - listening to ABC radio, I think he was a Kersley horse who used to fly the stand start. The callers used to mention that a lot (I hope I have the name right)

Southern Knight - massive talent with a huge sprint and a lot of tricks, especially pulling up just after the line

Chandon - massive talent with a huge sprint who we simply didn’t see enough of.

Billy was a ripper, Eric and Shirley Elliott from Meckering, unfashionably bred, won the Country Derby at Fremantle at long odds.....actually, he was invariably at odds, claimed a lot of scalps.

I've got a photo on my wall of Cornish Rogue running 3rd to Gleaming......only a tiny little bay horse for Fred Godecke. Fred's big imposing chestnut horse was Red Monaro but he was bit before Cornish Rogue I think? Aran definiyely a FRK horse by old Mambrino Globe, went better than okay to.

Chariotsonfire, squid69 likes this post.

squid69 said:

Billy Conda - used to watch the replays on ABC telly on a Friday night. He was a little fella who used to love sitting three or four back on the pegs then fly home.

Cornish Rouge - I saw him race as a kid, a big bay or chestnut I think - striking looking

Aran - listening to ABC radio, I think he was a Kersley horse who used to fly the stand start. The callers used to mention that a lot (I hope I have the name right)

Southern Knight - massive talent with a huge sprint and a lot of tricks, especially pulling up just after the line

Chandon - massive talent with a huge sprint who we simply didn’t see enough of.

I  used to watch those GP replays on ABC TV late on a Friday night as well 

Like if you had been out for the evening - you could put all your bets on earlier - and then watch all those replays ( basically live ) back to back to see how your bets went 

It was interesting - those  GP Trots replays  were the last transmission for the night - come on about  11.30pm - as soon as those finished - i think they played the national anthem - and in the background have classic vision - like the Indian Pacific roaring through the Aust outback - vision of the  current PM then Fraser - honestly with the anthem playing you felt like standing to attention and saluting - then ABC went into Test Pattern mode - and it was time for bed - ha

squid69 likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    As i am originally from NSW. . One of my all time fav. was The Scotsman trained and driven by Graeme Sparks trained at Fairfield.. and also Manora . Neville Hargraves.
    Manaroa?
    Monara