G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Old Racing Footage x 2

West Australian Racing
PCPC    2,190 posts
Hi all,

As promised, I would post the 1999 G2 Perth Cup (3200m) on here. The person who uploaded the race only did it a short time ago. Great race...and a tight finish. The runner- up as we know went on to much bigger and better things later that year.

Also, notice the crowd - it was packed. Great times.

**1999 Group 2 Perth Cup**

1st: King Of Saxony (52kg) - $25.40 and $6.60

2nd: Rogan Josh (52kg) - $2.60

3rd: Victory Morn (50kg) - $6.10

Race:

Cheers.
+1 -1

Tucool, hash, bigorangecat likes this post.

Comments

• spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Have a look who the strapper is?
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    spill the beans, spink... :-?

yes indeed look at the crowd, the crowd a few days earlier on boxing day would have been huge also, with at least 2 group 1's.
    "they" have certainly stuffed up a century long standing carnival. now its not worth 2 cents..
    >:P

PC likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    thefalcon said:

spill the beans, spink... :-?

yes indeed look at the crowd, the crowd a few days earlier on boxing day would have been huge also, with at least 2 group 1's.
    "they" have certainly stuffed up a century long standing carnival. now its not worth 2 cents..
    >:P

They might have tinkered a bit too much but I think its due more to the fact that there are so many more alternatives where people can get their entertainment. Coupled with the ease that people can bet online and watch the action off-track it was always going to happen.
    Even the Sydney and Melbourne crowd sizes are well down so its not just here, albeit not as dramatic

PC likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I do miss the 3200m Perth Cup. Certainly a great advertisement that Perth Racing could use going forward is by showing the 1999 edition, particularly as the runner-up went on to win the Melbourne Cup.

thefalcon likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    spinking said:

Have a look who the strapper is?

Who is the strapper?
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    looks like  M..lane

spinking, PC likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Sorry...remind me who M.Lane is?

Cheers.
    Bang on the money STG
    Fair cdhance he will train the winner of race 3 at Belmont tomorrow PC. And also the father of D.Lane

PC likes this post.

young DL is killin' 'em in japan....the mind boggles when one considers what he is earning...

PC likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Who is the race caller?

I’m probably way off as he isn’t even a race caller but the voice sounds similar to the bloke that reads the sport segment on ch9 news Mark someone
    D.Mac i would say

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• watchinguwatchingu    31 posts
    hash said:

Who is the race caller?

I’m probably way off as he isn’t even a race caller but the voice sounds similar to the bloke that reads the sport segment on ch9 news Mark someone

callers name at the beginning of the race doesn’t give it away at all ? ????
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Yep way off alright :P it's Dmac!
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    hash said:

Who is the race caller?

Mark Readings was the Ch9 host, D-Mac was the racecaller.

hash likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I guess the question should be asked...why didnt Rogan Josh go to Bart earlier on in his career? I mean hindsight is a wonderful thing but its worth asking the question. He raced best as an older horse. I know he started racing as a 4 year-old, but it was obvious he had ability.

Colin Webster is a good judge/good trainer and it was good that he suggested to the owners to send Rogan Josh to Bart Cummings.
    if he hadn't run that great second in the cup i doubt he would have gone east. from what i understand bart  was on course and with his canny eye saw the potential in the horse.
    the rest is history...

Manchild likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    thefalcon said:

if he hadn't run that great second in the cup i doubt he would have gone east. from what i understand bart  was on course and with his canny eye saw the potential in the horse.

the rest is history...

A few people that day say he probably shoukd of won that Perth Cup.

Yes Bart was in course that day, he was there to see his old mate John Miller...trainer of King Of Saxony. You are right he was impressed with his second placing in the Perth Cup. But behind the scenes the owner Wendy Green and trainer Colin Webster were thinking of a plan to sejd him to Bart. When Bart was asked to train the horse he remembered the 2nd placing in the Perth Cup and said "Yes"...as you said the rest is history. Also listen Mark Readings..he says....Rogan Josh....his time will come. Well boy his time certainly came in that spring of 1999 on the biggest stage of all.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    PC said:

thefalcon said:

the rest is history...

A few people that day said he probably should of won that Perth Cup.

Yes Bart was on course that day, he was there to see his old mate John Miller...trainer of King Of Saxony. You are right he was impressed with his 2nd placing in the Perth Cup. But behind the scenes the owner Wendy Green and trainer Colin Webster were thinking of a plan to send him to Bart. When Bart was asked to train the horse he remembered the 2nd placing in the Perth Cup and said "Yes"...as you said the rest is history. Also listen to Mark Readings..he says....Rogan Josh....his time will come. Well boy his time certainly came in that spring of 1999 on the biggest stage of all.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    thefalcon said:

the rest is history...

Question is - if he wins that Perth Cup, does he still go to Bart's stable? We will never know.
    i'd say he'd have been a better chance of east...
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    thefalcon said:

i'd say he'd have been a better chance of east...

The other way of looking at it is that had he won that Perth Cup then the owners may have been satisfied with that win and kept him in Perth.
    ^^ no way Bart would have talked them over.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Here is the presentation of the 1999 Perth Cup. A very young Bob Peters, some nice words from Johnny Miller who mentions Bart