G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

Mungrup Stud no more

West Australian Racing
Media Release

Closure of Mungrup Stud

A need by the partners to move on, in different directions, has resulted in a decision to close Mungrup Stud.

In determining the best course of action for all - family, dedicated and loyal staff, clients, business associates, general supporters, and themselves, Gray and Jan Williamson have announced today, with great sadness, that the business they have developed over 40 years will be wound up over the next three months.

Jan and Gray would like to extend their deepest thanks to everyone who has supported and been involved in the stud over the years. They would also like to especially thank daughters Ann and Claire and Ann’s husband Tom who, with our loyal and dedicated staff, have helped make Mungrup what it is today.

There have been so many wonderful moments in the span of Mungrup's operation. From the humble beginnings of a $700 stallion and a blind broodmare, to producing the winners of 2 Railway Stakes, 4 Karrakatta plates, 5 Perth Magic Millions 2yo winners, 6 WA Guineas winners - very few black type races in WA have escaped being won by a Mungrup horse. It is something we all can be very proud of.

Highlights in more recent times include watching Kay Cee (by our sire Playing God) win the GR1 Kingston Town, Watch Me Dance (by our sire I'm All The Talk) win the GR2 Sire's Produce and being top vendor at the Perth 2020 Yearling Sale.

The team at Mungrup will continue with all the care and attention to your horses and will be in contact to walk you through the steps going forward.

A dispersal sale of all the Mungrup stock will be held in the near future.

4/6/20

For further details and associated FAQ sheets, please contact -
Ann Williamson – Croucher, CEO Mungrup Stud on 08 98532103 or [email protected]

Comments

• BucksBucks    158 posts
    Did anyone see that coming?
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    two threads the same topic.. deleted one, apologies @Elitist  
  • ElitistElitist    365 posts
    a seriously sad day for wa racing 

(but a dispersal sale sparks my interest)

spinking, Bucks, Manchild, Uttsy, goose, RIO, Chelsea likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Shame they have been great contributers to breeding in WA. 

goose likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts

Absolutely a shocking day for WA racing.

Gray helped us out with our second horse I have ever owned. And he went on and won a Roebourne Cup for us. And I am sure he would have done the same for a lot of other people as well.

Very sad day.

goose likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    before we get the hankies out...businesses fold every week for some reason or other. i do not know mr. and mrs. williamson but i'd suggest they are possibly past normal retirement age, there could be health problems.
    its obvious the daughters did not want to take over the business.
    the animals and goods and chattel will be sold off. i presume they own the property so it will be sold and hopefully the williamsons enjoy a long, healthy and financially rewarded retirement.

Thunderstruck, jum, Tucool, Yankee likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Agree with you Falc. Must be nudging 70 so decided it's time for a rest and to enjoy the fruits of their passion and labour(bet their cashed up to the MAX) ;)
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited June 2020
    thefalcon said:

before we get the hankies out...businesses fold every week for some reason or other. i do not know mr. and mrs. williamson but i'd suggest they are possibly past normal retirement age, there could be health problems.

the animals and goods and chattel will be sold off. i presume they own the property so it will be sold and hopefully the williamsons enjoy a long, healthy and financially rewarded retirement.

If that is the case Falc, Why not try and sell the fruits of your labour and watch it continue on down the track.

If it was me, I would find it very difficult to sell off my passion, piece by piece.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Dont think anyone (well me at least is saying get the hankies out)Falc its their decision to call it quits. All i am saying they have been great contributers to the WA breeding scene for a long time . From all accounts very approachable and honest people 

jum, thefalcon, JimmyPop, cinnabelle, Chelsea likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    jum said:

thefalcon said:

If that is the case Falc, Why not try and sell the fruits of your labour and watch it continue on down the track.

If it was me, I would find it very difficult to sell off my passion, piece by piece.

Because the best financial outcome will be derived by selling off the parts, not the whole.

thefalcon likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Sad news they have done a great service for WA racing really opens up an opportunity for another stud to set up or expand operations down there if only I had a spare million or three would be a great way to live breeding horses.

jum likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,660 posts
    I was surprised to find out today that they own Playing God, I just assumed he would have been retained by his original owners. All four of the Stallions will be offered, Playing God already has attracted interest from the Eastern States.  There is no guarantee of them remaining in WA although I'm told there are some interested groups.

In the August online sale of this dispersal, there will be 70 + weanlings just made for pinhooking into the February Sale. On top of that will be all the broodmares, some of which may still be in foal at the time of the sale, otherwise they will have foals at foot.
    i do not dispute the eastern staters taking a serious interest in Playing God. ok, the horse is at mungrup, but who owns him? would be a sad loss to us (here in WA) if he is sold....which i think he will be, along with i'm all the talk.
    i am sure there  are underlying reasons for the sale....health, personal, just fed up....who knows!!
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    massive loss if those two stallions go over east

cinnabelle likes this post.

• DieselDiesel    2 posts
    I think most in the racing game would have had some involvement at some stage with Mungrup. The Metal Storm era was incredible. Wishing them all the best going forward.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Wow, some of the theorists are a long way from correct. I am 100% certain that those who know the story behind this event are keeping their mouths shut and their fingers to themselves.

Great to see. Wish them all well in the future.

whereamigoingwrong, Chelsea likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Julio tweeted this morning - Playing God to remain in Perth. Well done to the Atwell family and all at Darling View.
  • RightOakAuntRightOakAunt    44 posts
    any word on I'm all the talk

"The transfer of I’m All The Talk (Stratum) is expected to be completed within days."

In other news - Mungrup to now continue, on a reduced basis, Claire running it.

RIO likes this post.

Transfer to who?
    No deal done yet, so couldn’t say

RIO likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    RIO said:

Wow, some of the theorists are a long way from correct. I am 100% certain that those who know the story behind this event are keeping their mouths shut and their fingers to themselves.

Great to see. Wish them all well in the future.

Pretty sure you are on the money Rio

for Gods sake what has allegedly happened, happens every day of the week. nothing to be ashamed of.
    the owners should have come clean from the beginning of this thread.
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    You on the piss again Falcon... Owners have no obligation to placate you whatsoever
  • meatpiemeatpie    410 posts

You on the **** again Falcon... Owners have no obligation to placate you whatsoever

100% agree, why the farkin hell would they have to explain their reasoning to anyone.

They have been outstanding contributors to the industry, they leave on their terms, good luck to them

the industry will survive and move on, it has previously seen the closure of big operations like Haddow, Heritage and Fairfields

move on, they got nothing to explain.

Thunderstruck, oldhendo, spinking likes this post.

edited June 2020
    Yeah, lost me there......
    As far as I’m aware it’s a simple matter of retirement and going a different direction.
    Time comes for everyone at some point.
    And I can’t imagine any breeding organisation in WA being sellable (for the best $ outcome) as a whole.
    It’s too associated with the person/s running it.
    The parts are always going to be more than the whole.
    Is certainly my exit plan, one day - clearance sale the lot, Piece by piece.

Manchild likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    paraletic said:

Transfer to who?

Darling View along side Playing God
    Decent pick ups there. Credit to both parties for getting the deals done.