G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 30 Non Members

WAFL 2020

Sport
VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
With the Covid-19 Phase 4 conditions eased beginning from this Saturday it is time to get the WAFL up and running asap.
Just keep the inept WAFC away from running the show though.

Comments

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    July 18th!
    I'll be at Basso, 2nd day of RnR, lovely.

VillageKid, spinking likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    We have got the garlic munchers first up too at Basso Skids.

spinking likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    As long as its not raining i will be at the can bar on the hill

VillageKid likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    I'm jealous sounds like a good day ahead..forgive my ignorance whom are the garlic munchers? :D
    West Perth Thunder

Thunderstruck, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

Oh that bunch of poonces ay Spink, go the Swannies!

edited June 2020
    Yep as Spink has posted West Perth are the "Garlic Munchers" due to their supporter base being largely made up of an Italian/Greek/Slav background with the old market gardens that used to be around their old Leederville Oval territory in Balcatta/Osborne Park etc. 
    Now they are based up in Joondalup you could call them the "Fish and Chip Munchers" with all of the ex Brits up that way but it doesnt quite have the same ring/flavour to it as Garlic does! 
    :P

savethegame, spinking likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Parliamentary inquiry announced into the WAFC today.Open the link to see terms of reference.

Report date November 5th

Its strange isn't it how you stated above VK all the tradional home bases have been carved up . Who would imagined East Perth now having their loathed enemie's home ground as their own

• PAULPAUL    2,665 posts
    WAFL FIXTURES

ROUND 1 (Saturday July 18)
    South Fremantle v East Fremantle, Fremantle Oval
    Subiaco v Claremont, Leederville Oval
    Swan Districts v West Perth, Bassendean Oval
    Peel Thunder v Perth, Rushton Park

ROUND 2 (Saturday July 25)
    East Fremantle v Peel Thunder, East Fremantle Oval
    Perth v East Perth, Lathlain Park
    West Perth v South Fremantle, Arena Joondalup
    Claremont v Swan Districts, Claremont Oval

ROUND 3 (Saturday August 1)
    East Perth v East Fremantle, Leederville Oval
    Swan Districts v Subiaco, Bassendean Oval
    South Fremantle v Claremont, Fremantle Oval
    Peel Thunder v West Perth, Rushton Park

ROUND 4 (Saturday August 8)
    West Perth v East Perth, Arena Joondalup
    East Fremantle v Perth, East Fremantle Oval
    Subiaco v South Fremantle, Leederville Oval
    Claremont v Peel Thunder, Claremont Oval

ROUND 5 (Saturday August 15)
    East Perth v Claremont, Leederville Oval
    South Fremantle v Swan Districts, Fremantle Oval
    Peel Thunder v Subiaco, Rushton Park
    Perth v West Perth, Lathlain Park

ROUND 6 (Saturday August 22)
    Subiaco v East Perth, Leederville Oval
    West Perth v East Fremantle, Arena Joondalup
    Swan Districts v Peel Thunder, Bassendean Oval
    Claremont v Perth, Claremont Oval

ROUND 7 (Saturday August 29)
    East Perth v Swan Districts, Leederville Oval
    Peel Thunder v South Fremantle, Rushton Park
    Perth v Subiaco, Lathlain Park
    East Fremantle v Claremont, East Fremantle Oval

ROUND 8 (Saturday September 5)
    Subiaco v East Fremantle, Leederville Oval
    Swan Districts v Perth, Bassendean Oval
    South Fremantle v East Perth, Fremantle Oval
    Claremont v West Perth, Claremont Oval

ROUND 9 (Saturday September 12)
    East Perth v Peel Thunder, Leederville Oval
    Perth v South Fremantle, Lathlain Park
    East Fremantle v Swan Districts, East Fremantle Oval
    West Perth v Subiaco, Arena Joondalup

FINALS
    Semi Finals, Sunday September 20
    Preliminary Final, Sunday September 27
    Grand Final, Sunday October 4

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    The question for me re the WAFL - is when is Perth FC going to become good - they have been deadset hopeless for  well  over 30 years - very few finals appearances if any 

I mean Subiaco ( who i barrack for ) were a joke for a fair while - but Subi pulled themselves out of the mire - Hayden Bunton jnr and won flags - and now are a powerhouse 

But with Perth - i can remember John Todd - when he was a dual premiership coach - right at the top of his game - he was going to coach Perth - but he pulled out at the last moment - and Laurie Connell  was going to tip a bucket full of money into Perth FC 

Perth have had everyone coaching them - they had that ex Carlton star David Glascott - but there was no joy with him whatsoever 

So when are Perth going to come good - maybe never
    Perth will go alright this year Marko.
    I know we have heard it all before for the last 43 years.
    But the shortened season and picking up the Eagle castoffs Masten, McInnes, Grey & Fisher will work in their favour.
    Subi will still be the team to beat though.
    The last round of practice matches this weekend before Round 1 finally kicks off next Saturday July 18th-

SD vs WP at Steel Blue Bassendean Oval
    SF vs EF at Fremantle Oval
    PL vs PH at Rushton Park Mandurah
    CL vs SU at Claremont Oval
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Ahhhhh, saw results last weekend and couldn’t work out what was going on.
    Practice games......
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    Yep, heading to Freo derby on Sat, which coincides with Otherside Brewing opening up a Beer Hall at Freo Markets  B-)

Tivers likes this post.

I might be in on that................
  • DurtleDurtle    33 posts
    I'll be at Fremantle. South Fremantle v East Fremantle.

Will be calling the action as I see it.
  • DurtleDurtle    33 posts
    SD vs WP at Steel Blue Bassendean Oval
    SF vs EF at Fremantle Oval
    PL vs PH at Rushton Park Mandurah
    CL vs SU at Claremont Oval

West Perth
    South Fremantle
    Perth
    Subiaco
    Old mate of mine doing it a bit tough atm is going to the Swans game, you have a good day Jeff ole son ;)
    Go the swannies.

VillageKid, oldhendo likes this post.

SD prove yet again they dont know how to win or maybe just dont want to win as badly enough as their opponents.
    It has happened oh too readily for my books in the last few years, where we play poorly for most of the game, have a patch of good footy to have the foot on the throat of an opponent and then meekly fade away and let the opposition walk all over us to take the 4 points.
    A poor last qtr surrender in front of a very good home crowd at Basso to start what looms as being another long (albeit short-8 games) season ahead for the Black Ducks.
    It is great to have local WAFL footy back...even for us long suffering SD supporters!

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Good crowd at Basso too!

I left early, couldn't keep up with the Grandkids with my dicky knee.

Went to Basso yesterday . Something about a day at the wafl standing at the can bar on the hill . Full strength beer. Good mix of demon and swans supporters some good hearted heckling from both camps no aggro . Good crowd in attendance good game of footy and the Black ducks won.Good day except for maybe the headache this morning

VillageKid, oldhendo, Gilgamesh likes this post.

spinking said:

Went to Basso yesterday . Something about a day at the wafl standing at the can bar on the hill . Full strength beer. Good mix of demon and swans supporters some good hearted heckling from both camps no aggro . Good crowd in attendance good game of footy and the Black ducks won.Good day except for maybe the headache this morning

Totally agree Spink, there is no better day out in the WAFL or even comes close to comparing to the atmosphere at Bassendean Oval (Steel Blue) on a Saturday arvo especially when the Black Ducks are up and about.
    Plenty of cheer and good humoured chants coming from the can bars and always plenty of young kids enjoying the Swans Playzone behind the Guildford end goals.
    Just hopefully we see a bit more success in 2021 then the last 5 seasons.

spinking, cisco likes this post.

Yeah we have been a tad disappointing the last few years. Good to see a couple old heads in the past players area next door to the can bar yesterday K.Caton looks as menacing on the hill as he did on the ground

VillageKid, TheDiva, cisco likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Looked a good turn out on TV

edited September 2020
    Perth will go alright this year Marko.
    I know we have heard it all before for the last 43 years.
    But the shortened season and picking up the Eagle castoffs Masten, McInnes, Grey & Fisher will work in their favour.
    Subi will still be the team to beat though.

Well I did predict before the season the Demons would "go alright" and blow me down they did despite a few stutters along the way including my mob giving them a pasting last week but Perth have made the Finals for the first time in 23 years.
    Can they win the GF for the first time in 43 years?
    I doubt it but this has been a strange year and it is fairly open with $ubi missing out.
    I am not sure SF are over the line despite unbelievably being given the GF at their doorstep, CL are very good on their day but can have a shocker every now and again whilst WP are consistent on the field despite just walking away from a million dollars of debt recently.
    I hope Perth can go all the way but actually think it will be a SF vs WP GF.

As for SD we finally played somewhere near our best footy in the last few weeks but poor patches in games especially early in this abbreviated season cost us dearly and any chance of making the late September action.
    Hopefully we can keep our core group of players together and finally realise we are just as good as any of those teams still playing but we have to improve in areas and a Top 4 finish next season should be a non negotiable!

spinking likes this post.

You where on the money there VK about Perth. I love to hate them its sort of like the Eastern suburbs derby the black ducks and the demons. But hope they win the GF its been a long time in the coming for the poor old Demons supporters. The playing group looked like they had won the GF the other night. Good on them nothing like the passion being showed in the local league

Good to see the black ducks win something this year. Congratulations to Sam Fisher on his Sandover win. Obviously had a very good year to win the medal when his team won only a couple of games

Anyone got access to tickets for this weekend ??????
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    sold out... only 7000 sold. 
    what a disgraceful decision to hold it at freo oval... in a year where people are going to be frothing to go to the footy. 
    if Optus cant accomodate a crowd of 20-25k without making a big loss... what was the point?