G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Bill Lawry, A Glorious Life.

Sport
ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the special honouring this cricket legend tonight(it followed on from some BS ninja show its seriously crap)

I reckon my interest in Australian cricket has waned a bit in the last decade or so but back in the day he was fantastic in the commentary box with Greigy.Clearly remember him calling Tugger on the Perfect Day too(a truly great cricketing occasion and maybe my all time favourite), Lawry was just a great, passionate and self deprecating man..very good cricketer too before my time.Still pretty sharp at 83 years young too.

"Thanks for the memories Bill"

Comments

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Great Stuff Thunder could not agree more!!

Boys if you get a chance google Bill Lawry 1965-1966 district cricket final. I was lucky enough to buy Bill Lawry's book. Apparently in the last game of that season a catch was dropped on purpose to allow Northcote (Bill Lawry's team) to make the finals and thus enabled this amazing innings to eventuate!!

Cheers cisco

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    I caught it last night by chance and glad I did.

Thunderstruck, cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited July 2020
    cisco said:

Great Stuff Thunder could not agree more!!

Boys if you get a chance google Bill Lawry 1965-1966 district cricket final. I was lucky enough to buy Bill Lawry's book. Apparently in the last game of that season a catch was dropped on purpose to allow Northcote (Bill Lawry's team) to make the finals and thus enabled this amazing innings to eventuate!!

Cheers cisco

Was that when he scored the 280 odd Cisco?

Love Bill!

P.s i noticed the daughters have inherited the famous honker too :))

cisco, detonator, VillageKid likes this post.

Yes mate he was on the ground for the whole five days. Fielded whilst Essendon batted and then he batted through the whole of Northcote's innings. Bloody amazing his concentration must have been super!!

Thunderstruck, VillageKid likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i've got the book...chasing a century bill lawry.

cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I didnt see the show - but i liked him - exciting commentator 

Very good opening bat - extremely difficult to get out - like even just before he got sacked as test capt - and dumped completely - he batted through an innings - made about 60 not out - when John Snow had most of the Aust batsmen worked out 

But Bill and also Geoffrey Boycott were terribly slow batsmen - i can remember when Lawry went over to England  - the pommy press called him - " the corpse with pads on " - did that get a mention last night 

VillageKid, cisco, savethegame, oldhendo likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Bill had long retired playing before I was born but gee he was a huge part of every summer growing up along with Richie, Tony, Chapelli, Tangles etc in the Channel 9 Cricket coverage.
    The cries of 'Got Him' and his ongoing banter with South African Pom Greigy were legendary and they are all sorely missed these days when watching the cricket.
    Good to see Bill is still going strong in retirement.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Yeh Marko that did get a mention lol.

True VK Its a part of our youth for sure, Greigy and Bill were great mates and their banter was priceless.

cisco, Markovina, VillageKid, oldhendo likes this post.

I think the most positive aspect is that this was done whilst Bill was alive. This is the tv media at its best.

Cheers cisco

thefalcon likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    What did B. Lawry and St Kilda superstar Trevor Barker have in common?
    Ovals named after them savethegame?

VillageKid likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Oh Trevor Barker, now there was a player.......few better to watch, a genuine super star.

Did they both fancy pigeons?

cisco, Thunderstruck, VillageKid likes this post.

I think you got me JayJay Barks was pretty good with the girls too. Ha Ha. 

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Cisco I was thinking of racing pigeons but had heard Barker was very busy with the polski ogorki after training----

cisco likes this post.

Yes mate the old Saturday night discos in the 80's at the Moorabbin ground would have been legendary. If only the walls could talk!! 
    The Sainters did not have too much success on the field but with Barks and Co they certainly kicked a number of goals off it!! 
    My understanding was Barks was being groomed for the St Kilda coaching job as he had coached Sandringham to a VFA premiership and then was an assistant at St Kilda and then, tragically, got sick.
    I know a couple of guys who played at St Kilda in that era and they all say how Barks was the hardest trainer and the most courageous player they played with.

savethegame likes this post.

Hijacking legend B.Lawry's thread couldn't imagine Bill being in same postcode outside the same level of heart&desire in the flamboyant stakes,. Barker would still be remembered as player that had everything .

Memory waning maybe sidebottom was playing and they won 6 or 7 outta first---- think 8 or 9 there starting lineup in centre had no Rovers everyone was over 180cm think big Carl ditterich got time
    S.K.looked the goods until that happened

cisco likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts

Cisco I was thinking of racing pigeons but had heard Barker was very busy with the polski ogorki after training----

=))

cisco, thefalcon likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    cisco said:

Yes mate he was on the ground for the whole five days. Fielded whilst Essendon batted and then he batted through the whole of Northcote's innings. Bloody amazing his concentration must have been super!!

Hi Cisco 

I read about that District Cricket final last night - i didnt intend to - i googled a footballer - then i got another article and another article - then somehow lobbed on Northcote Cricket Clubs history 

This might have been mentioned on the TV - but a couple of interesting things - his 282 not out was the 2nd highest ever score in Melb District cricket - only bettered by Bill Ponsfords 295 

Lawry had a little bit of luck in the innings - when well over 150 - in the one over - he got dropped in the slips - then in the same over he got caught in the slips  but it was a no ball . The next over from that same bowler - Lawry hit him for 4 boundaries 

The other interesting thing - was how many VFL players at the time were playing district cricket  - and most notably in that Essendon team ( which lost to Northcote in that final ) was  Barry Davis - the champion Dons player and Nth Melbournes 1st Premiership captain - he came in at number 8 and made 60 odd in that final
    Spot on Marko luck plays a huge part in batting and cricket. If you are looking for a good book there is Mystery Spinner - The Story Of Jack Iverson.

My Dad, who passed away a number of years ago, played at Melbourne with him in the 1950's. They were the days, like Bill Lawry's era where Australian Test players played district cricket such as Neil Harvey, etc

My Dad told me a story that Jack could hit a two bob piece on the wicket that was how accurate he was!!

Cheers cisco

Markovina, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.