G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Dean Jones RIP

Sport
therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
News filtering through on social media that Dean Jones has passed away at 59. 

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Rip champion, there werent many better sights in cricket than him demolishing bowling attacks.

Was in India, a heart attack reported as the cause of death .. :(

cisco likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    That is sad news, what a great batsman Deano was in both Test and One Day cricket for Australia.
    Gone way too soon at only 59.

R.I.P Legend

cisco likes this post.

Geez Binga would be cut having been there trying to revive him.

You guys remember the test innings in India where he notched a double ton under extreme duress? One of the most courageous and team orientated knocks ever.

cisco likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Don't know when it was or what ground it was at but I vividly recall him getting a huge double century in about 55 degrees and 100% humidity....he was literally throwing up between overs but just kept belting a pretty decent Indian attack. It was an innings for the ages. Great player.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    I was just explaining to my son last week that he was the Olden days Glenn maxwell... but it wasn’t acceptable to bat with that much flair n those days.

JayJay, cisco likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    59 years old, way too young to depart this earth. RIP
    Feel for Brett Lee, must have been terrible to witness and then try to bring him back.

therealkramer, cisco likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Rip Deano. I remember him taking a world class W.indies attack apart in Adelaide. He scored a double ton. Not many did that against Abrose and co.

JayJay, cisco likes this post.

Just watched that last night....Aussies were 3 for not many and Deano and Border dug in and then cut loose. Hooking head high killer balls from Ambrose and just belting the crap out of them. And AB at the other end none too shabby either. Brilliant.

The_Bull, cisco likes this post.

Also did some surfing post the sad news,

AB loved him declared same in a tribute, they must have been very best buddies.

Also read an article quoting that eclectic fool Greg Matthews who said Deano's innings in Madras wasn't in his top 50 innings for courage/endeavour etc...what a DH...pissed me off reading it tbh.

cisco likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    There was the funny story from the Tied Test in Madras where Dean Jones was batting with Allan Border.
    Deano was really struggling in the heat & humidity and was losing bodily fluids at an alarming rate and at one point wanted to retire hurt.
    Border sidled up to a crook Jones and said to him yeah go on you can retire and I will get a real cricketer a Queenslander (Greg Ritchie from memory) out here to help me and the side out.
    That was all the incentive Jones needed to stay out there as a proud Victorian!

cisco likes this post.

There was another story...again from India....some Indian quickie gave Deano the stare after he danced down the wicket using his feet and deposited the ball outside the stadium. Deano says to him "Whats the matter champ, is it against the rules to use my feet and belt your pies into the crowd?" (or words to that effect). Even the umpire, one of those fastidiously fair trigger happy Indian Umpires, took an over or two to stop laughing.

cisco likes this post.

• ciscocisco    805 posts
    Very sad news. I had the chance to witness Deano's work ethic at Melbourne in District Cricket in the late 1980's. At training when he was batting he hit every ball off the middle of the bat. It was as if he knew where the ball would pitch. As to running between the wickets he was the King!!

RIP

VillageKid, goose likes this post.