G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Tennis's Big 3. One GOAT or a herd?

Sport

Comments

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    It is unbelievable to think that we have 3 players still competing against each other with those grand slam numbers.
    But for me the G.O.A.T is .........RAFA.
    :x
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    For me it's probably Djokovic but Nadal is the most likeable of the three. Novak would probably have won 18-19 by now if Wimbledon hadn't been cancelled and he didn't lose his head a the U.S Open. But he's sure blown some chances over the years especially at Flushing Meadows.

detonator likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Feds for me, 3 slams at 35+ years of age cannot be ignored(and it should have been 4 htf he didnt win that Wimbledon final last year is beyond belief)but Novak closing in real fast, if he keeps his bottle next year he could win 3 of the 4 slams possibly.

My knock re Nadal is 13 of his 20 slams are on clay..also I find his antics irritating on court, the other two don't have ocd or his perceived by some opponents "gamesmanship" tactics.Great player and a warrior of a competitor no doubt.

One certainty there will never be 3 players as talented in the same era again.
    Nadal's always been OCD tho, the other two definitely use gamesmanship when they need to(e.g Federer v Davydenko, Australian Open, the shadows on court and Federer taking the longest **** in humankind), that's partly why Nadal is so revered. His record on clay will NEVER be surpassed and probably not on any other surface. Could be French Open #14  next year for the all time GS record too. Incredible
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts

Feds for me, 3 slams at 35+ years of age cannot be ignored(and it should have been 4 htf he didnt win that Wimbledon final last year is beyond belief)but Novak closing in real fast, if he keeps his bottle next year he could win 3 of the 4 slams possibly.

My knock re Nadal is 13 of his 20 slams are on clay..also I find his antics irritating on court, the other two don't have ocd or his perceived by some opponents "gamesmanship" tactics.Great player and a warrior of a competitor no doubt.

One certainty there will never be 3 players as talented in the same era again.

Everyone points to Rafa that 13 of his slams are on clay so his record is not as meaningful as Feds.
    13 times the winner of one particular slam almost deserves GOAT title with just that alone.
    Federer CAN play on clay. In the French Open he has won one title, finalist 4 times, semi finalist 3 times, quarter finalist 4 times, 4th round twice. So Rafa is not beating players that are hopeless on this surface.
    Rafa has 2 Wimbledon’s Novak 5 Wimbledon’s. Feds perceived dominance on grass doesn’t translate as much as Rafa’s on clay.
    Post match losses, Rafa is far more humble in defeat than Mr nice guy Roger.
    But all are elite talents and I reckon if all of them finished with 20 grand slams each, then that would be fitting.
    Bloke sure can play and has seemingly jumped ahead of a couple who looked to be in the queue to take over like Zverev and Tsitsipas..Thiem has also gone ahead of these two?
    Another Ruskie Andrey Rublev will be mixing it next year too i reckon is nearly 2 years younger and not as consistent just yet.

Skill level aside dont think I'll ever be a big fan of Medvedev but might gravitate towards Rublev to become the 2020's version of Marat Safin
    One sure thing russian men's tennis is in bloody good shape.
    I'm not sure about Thiem-a talent to be sure but he had the biggest gimme Gland Slam title of all time v Zverev and he fair dinkum limped over the line in the US Open. Medvedev is happy to be the villain and feeds of the negative crowd energy. 
    He seems like a dark character and yep crowd against works for some.
    Agree with Thiem but he has definitely improved a fair amount in the last two years or so, is at least right there with the other two who are their own worst enemies with inconsistency.