G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members
Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
edited November 2020 West Australian Racing
Two of the longest priced placegetters in WA Group One racing previous five years have been Dark Musket who finished third to Perfect Reflection at 150/1 in the 2015 Kingston Town and the underrated Uni Time also third at 100/1 in yesterday's Group One Railway Stakes.

The common thread on Dark Musket and Uni Time both ridden by Jason Whiting.

Noticed Dark Musket picked up a cool 90k for that placing, nice work for the 150/1 pop. Uni Time's overall record and prize money also more than handy.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2020
    Was positive mentioned something about Uni Time being a future top liner and Railway Stakes horse somewhere back through the pages..although around the time Go Crying beat him, was a bit dissapointed and also mentioned if Uni Time runs well in a Railway I'll walk to China! Or words to that effect 3:-O
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    I had a few bob on Uni Time at 300-1 but nothing the place of course  >:P
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    he was my "ruffie" mentioned on these pages...17 bucks a tickie and not a zac on it..

edited November 2020
    Was called possibly second over the line, ouch if had him for second, novelties would've gone up massively.

53kgs....about 20 odd years ago, would've only had 48kgs....recall backing a horse a place named Micron many moons ago, think it only had 48 or 49 when running third, ridden by Victorian lightweight hoop Dale "Spike" Short.

300/1 betfair must have been around 33/1 - 50/1 a place ?
    ^^ :((
    hey riders, remember peter bakos? almost a midget, rode at about 40kg.
    when retired became a whipmaker.

Tucool, Manchild, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited November 2020

300/1 betfair must have been around 33/1 - 50/1 a place ?

Plenty of $3.80 available about the winner, whose SP was $2.60. It(the 'right' price) makes more difference than a do-gooder O:-) :-@ $-)
    For sure Falcon.

Big talk about Pikey's ride from barrier 11, was a great effort, which makes the runs and rides on Railway Stakes winners Marjoleo and Marwong pretty good they drew 16 in a field of 16.
    Marjoleo at the old 1500 metre start.
    Regal Honour think drew about 15 last year ? Can't recall now..that was big too.
  • spinkingspinking    3,737 posts
    Marjoleo Norm Fawcett trainer?
    edited November 2020
    Could've been Spink, not sure now. Did David Brosnan ride it ?

Can you remember a trainer John Davidson ?
    Sure can Riders. John trained out of the same street as my parents place in Ascot. Starglow Ngawyni to name a few. At the time a couple of these blokes where riding there if my memory serves me correct, i was only young at the time . Phil Columbera.  There were two brothers who rode at the time and think one was apprentised to him . There names may have been Davidson as well but no relation . Think M. Sestich first ride which was a winner may have been JD as well but stand to be corrected
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Robert& Phil davidson from kalg. not 100 %who they were apprentice to robert may have been jim. Zenneker,  and phil rode a lot winners for maynard was top apprentice may have been with frank part of his apprenticeship,
     Rob was a battler may have won a couple in town on cazaly. Kalg produced a few apps. rod kemp, mark sestich, harry wulff,phil colombera,brett stapley,davidson bros.. Can any rememeber the last horse to win two metro races on the same day, one i am sure that done it was a horse called curry. whether he was the last.------ Sestich rode towkay new it was owned by Harry chappell -collie.
    i reckon jim zinnaker....JJ's pa-in-law, would have retired by then...i stand corrected.
    Widows Boy won 2 races on the same day...at belmont way back...
  • JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    spinking said:

Sure was. Great win from the wide draw. I'm pretty sure he was a 3yo when he won. Memory says he was by Indian Conquest.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    Robert Davidson apprenticed to Ted Sullivan.

savethegame likes this post.

JimmyPop said:

spinking said:

Sure was. Great win from the wide draw. I'm pretty sure he was a 3yo when he won. Memory says he was by Indian Conquest.
    Yep, Gerry Donnelly rode with something like 46 or 47 kgs on its back at about 50/1. Beat Burgess Queen. I think Detonator carried the grandstand and ran close up.
    good trainer, norm fawcett, married gail page, daughter of bill who owned plenty of horses.
    dad and bill had a horse, kerim bey trained by eric denning, he's dead now poor bugger but could not train wild ivy...i'll tell you the story of its first win one day...
    :-\"
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Rob Davidson did not Ride Cazaly ,he rode another one trained by Ernie Cook. I dont remember its name

savethegame likes this post.

King Ozzile or similar

Manchild likes this post.

Zinnaker was kemps master,Trying to remember who was with jock campbell,
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Yes that one
    jock would be a hard task-master.....ron sibly, bobby marlow, gordon dickinson?
    Did Eric train out in Gosnells Falc? Kerim Lodge? Had a horse called Emocling? I recall a big plunge one day .....100's into 5/4 or something silly like that. Norm Coombe...I reckon Kerim Bay won plenty of races after that.
    No one would know that more about Jock being a hard task master than Billy Gould Falc. I am positive Billy was adopted by Jock and his wife when Bill was young . Worked for him for all of Jocks life and the majority of his. Think old Billy lifelong association with horses was what finally got him believe Billy Gould died from injuries received from being kicked. There is a park in Ascot by the river named after Billy Gould
    thefalcon said:

jock would be a hard task-master.....ron sibly, bobby marlow, gordon dickinson?

Keith Mifflin? John McNair started with him before shifting to Len Pike.
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    JimmyPop said:

spinking said:

Yep, Gerry Donnelly rode with something like 46 or 47 kgs on its back at about 50/1. Beat Burgess Queen. I think Detonator carried the grandstand and ran close up.

Good memory JayJay. Marjoleo carried 46.5 and officially started 25/1. Detonator 6th that year but don't know what weight he carried. He did carry 67kg to bolt in the 1976 Bunbury Stakes.

JayJay, Tucool likes this post.

Good find, I like the look of that link to The Age past editions. Cheers.
    Little snippets from that railway sure bart cummings flew the newcastle whiz kid over to  ride romantic dream Robert thompson who rode a winner last week..P.Davison rode third placegetter for frank maynard, makatilla -----plus he trained 2nd, burgess queen  Think top leg man  from trots W.F.pop Johnson fixed bynsaab who broke down. and got her back to the track for W. Mitchell at some stage of her career.
  • tomtom    76 posts
    Pretty sure last horse to win 2 in one day at a metro track was Pins Mate ridden by F Treen will stand corrected though