G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

2020 - Moments of the year

Harness & Greyhounds
As the year and season wraps up, I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts on what was the moment of the year in WA Harness Racing. We have seen some great moments in what has been a tough year.

What were some of your favourites?

Will be mentioned on OneOutOneBack Tuesday week on the last show of the year...cheers!
+1 -1

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Comments

• K Davies recovering from a serious illness to me is a Massive highlight this year.

On track, having the Bull back in action
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Industry wise....... K Davies for sure, Peter King and Longreach Bay, Vultan Tin's win "for the battlers" in the Cup, the emergence of Magnificent Storm as possibly our next super star, Bully coming back from injury, Captain Proud's win in the Busso Cup for local connections was fabulous to be on course and witness, the emergence of E.J.Suvaljko as a driver of class ....gee I could go on lots of great moments. Have to mention the continuation of racing throughout the Covid lockdown, credit where credit is due to RWWA even though there a lots of things that I don't agree with, that was a definite plus. Personally, Son Of A Tigers win in the Northam Cup is something I will never forget. Good post Matt, it is a timely call to reflect on some positives.
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    The emergence of Emily Suvaljko in the driving ranks.

VillageKid, PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    In general terms my thoughts re the last 12 months

1. The retention of the TAB into the future and its reinvigorated performance during this pandemic was a ironically a tonic for all codes. Ian Edwards promotion to RWWA CEO is timely as he seems strongly across the wagering product requirements. From my one meeting with him during the Outreach sessions it was apparent he is an enthusiastic, grounded and personable character.  Holes have appeared in some the Corporate Betting models during the pandemic and prudent TAB management in WA can be a huge plus for harness going forward....with the management stage now set the possibilities for growth seem better than for some time.
    2. The take up of female and younger participants in the harness industry continued to be highly encouraging. Whether it was ownership, training, driving or club and industry affiliate  management there seems to be plenty of youthful & enthusiastic faces becoming recognisable around the traps along with the rusted on reliables . Various forms of social media PR and communications bring a sense of familiarity across an industry that absorbs a lot of time just getting to the track for whatever purpose you are designated to be involved in. The passion is still out there. To cultivate the interest further it is a priority for RWWA to establish a training complex to enable involvement without the need for young people to have to buy the acreage required to train. ie Investment is freed up within the industry rather than trying to break into the industry. 
    3. The upsurge in number and quality of Westbred horses racing in WA and the RWWA focus on the local product. WA breeders are to be applauded for their efforts.
    4. Watching some really competitive racing all year on tv and on track. If you look closely there seems to be little difference in the satisfaction levels across the entire spectrum of competitors when they are competing and achieving success on the racetrack. 
    5 Seeing the industry support and embrace given to a number of its people who have had to endure trying times within the year is an uplifting feeling. 
    6.Watching the baton of on track supremacy being transferred between drivers and trainers and owners all year...it's the beauty of this industry....you can never stop looking over your shoulder....somewhere sometime there is an 18 y/o or an 88 y/o with a good horse ready to upset the prevailing applecart. 
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    Well said fellas, I agree with all of the above.

The only thing I will add was the great season Dylan Egerton-Green has had in the sulky winning multiple Group 1's and he was also responsible for my personal pick for "drive of the year" on Tyler Brett at GP about a month or so back, it was a pearler.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    I’d like to give the Charles family a shout out for breeding so many quality horses which would be a very time consuming exercise and unlike in the other codes not an overly profitable one.

Not really a moment but it is what springs to mind.
    ps...a nod to the race callers ....harness in WA has a bloody good group of callers 

VillageKid, JayJay, JimmyPop likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Also the number of trot men having a go at the gallops(and very successfull).I think your show is great listening .Hope they renew the show for next year. .Its the only segment I listen to now...Good Work...

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

Not sure that I share your enthusiasm about the trainers feeling the need to head to the gallops, not exactly a vote of confidence in the industry but understand that financially, they may have little option. Agree totally One Out One Back is a winner and it is critical that it keeps going. Should have included that in my list of positives.

curmudgeon, JimmyPop likes this post.

Hi Jay Jay, It was meant as a positive as Trot men are much better horsemen. I think it is a challenge for them rather than money(but that helps)....

freodockers, JayJay likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Fair comment Sonny but I’m with JJ, it does nothing for pacing.
    AFL you take the best players you pay, racing no structure it’s a free for all.
    Race 1 on Thursday could a "moment"...fantastic field and the draw should result in a fabulous race. Not sure about the 3 o"clock start on a stinker of a day. Might they move the start time back back? Couple of other races look like being clinkers as well.
  • AbbysAceAbbysAce    560 posts
    cisco said:

The emergence of Emily Suvaljko in the driving ranks.

What did you think of her drive tonight on The White Rabbit?
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    No issue with the drive from me.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I think King of Swing deserves a mention - still owned by the WA interests - but its achievements past 12 months or so - excellent 

I actually watched a replay yesterday morning of In The Gig - it was the show 2 weeks back after KOS won the big race at AP 

There was an excellent interview with Glen Moore one of the part owners - and Gareth asked him - why was the horse transferred to  Cross/Luke McCarthy - and he simply said - Hall Snr had tried everything possible in his horsemanship skills to get KOS to handle GP - but he said the track was too tight - and unless it led - it just couldnt handle the track it would get on one knee - thus they trfd it over East 

Constantlybroke likes this post.

JayJay said:

Race 1 on Thursday could a "moment"...fantastic field and the draw should result in a fabulous race. Not sure about the 3 o"clock start on a stinker of a day. Might they move the start time back back? Couple of other races look like being clinkers as well.

I think the fav is impossible given the draw
    On that same In The Gig show - Adam  H - interviewed the CEO of NSW Trots 

One thing which caught my attention - re their efforts to get race crowds on track at Menangle

They got 3000 their - they showed vision of it - just looked like a race crowd on the lawn area in the front straight - they hold an up market - food market - so you have got all these people their - and they would be spending money - beverages meals etc - probably have a few bets - all watching the races

He said the participants love it - because there is an actual atmosphere their - so why dont GP try something like that - have 1 a month - you are going to get 3 or 4 thousand people their - i cant see why it wouldnt be worth  a try
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts

JayJay said:

I think the fav is impossible given the draw

Do you mean magnificent storm is impossible? Am I reading that right?
    Next to impossible if not impossible......nothing to do with his ability, there are just too many good horses drawn to advantage over him for mine. Any one of six or seven are capable of running crazy peg sectionals...and I don't think MS is seasoned enough or at a stage of his preparation that will enable him to dominate them yet. We will see.
    Worst moment of the year for Dean Cernovskis and Oscar The Great...all ok though

https://www.facebook.com/HarnessedInformant/videos/205060201225403
    Yeah i watched that race live at Goulburn - and when it happened - i thought the worst - i thought it snapped a leg - like the poor old Jag Doug at Griffith 

Ididnt even think it had choked down  at the time - it looked like some nervous reaction - like it had been bitten by a snake 

But glad alls good - that could have been disastrous - hes a pretty good trainer/reinsman Dean C - based outside of Canberra - and takes them up to Albion Park and they win 

Next to impossible if not impossible......nothing to do with his ability, there are just too many good horses drawn to advantage over him for mine. Any one of six or seven are capable of running crazy peg sectionals...and I don't think MS is seasoned enough or at a stage of his preparation that will enable him to dominate them yet. We will see.

Wish you were setting markets I think it’s a genuine $1.10 shot and will win like one

curmudgeon likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Does meet his stiffest test to date with a quality field and three Hall horses to contend with.

Interesting that Hall Jnr has chosen Gardys Legacy over Snr's three starters.

Wouldn't be taking $1.10 but anywhere close to evens would interest me.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Opened $1.20 with Gardys Legacy $3.30 with Bet 365.

Double figures the rest with Sportsbet copying and pasting with every price identical.

Opened $1.20 with Gardys Legacy $3.30 with Bet 365.

Double figures the rest with Sportsbet copying and pasting with every price identical.

Opened expected price? It’s $1.9 to win the nugget pre draw.. The nugget will be a better field than this
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    He should land midfield and hopefully will get one kick at them 3,4,5, wide.
    If it’s the case he will kick over them easily.
    Should be the feature race of the night.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    John Pryce----- Huge moment to hear the passing of former boulder boy Harness driver & trainer probably one of the greatest givers in harness racing  western australian has seen Past.President of  Kambalda Trotting Club

.Any horse people racing or pacing that were down on there luck John would get them a job, in a heartbeat,in the kambalda mines there was level underground that had purely trainers,drivers, jockeys,footballers. 

Alot trainers prepared gallopers & pacers at Kambalda John organised the stabling to be built also  had  800m fast track installed.

Through his efforts  Kambalda would pay excellent stakemoney plus leading drivers & cup winners would receive new carts. President Kambalda football club for a time.

Hellva lot people got a start through  John Pryce never outta overalls just doing things for harness even with G.M.T C. John enjoyed success over  a round with mare called hasty flight, as the driver, later years had stunning looking black stallion Lew Neptune.who won quite a few races.

R.I.P. JOHN.                                
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for the advice STG ...albeit sadly the passing of another engine room harness contributor.
    JP was a bewdy ...like you say....he picked up many over the years who were down on their luck in life and in the industry.
    The overalls...what a trademark they were.
    Outside of an era and a location John was probably not extraordinarily well known....but widespread within the goldfields he was a legend in harness and mining.

The sort of person who always could make something positive out of nothing.
    RIP Pricey 
    What a breath of fresh air is one out one back. Biiiiig thank you to Matt and the participants.. Thank you ..
  • PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Thanks for that Sonny, more than happy to take some opinions on a good feature interview to run with next month.

Gilgamesh likes this post.