G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

The West's Brilliant Racing Coverage

West Australian Racing
It is a given that the West Australian almost totally ignores the Harness and Greyhound codes, choosing to concentrate on local Racing to a certain  extent, and filling up column space with non descript "cut and paste" stories on Eastern States racing, somewhat at odds with it's claim to be a voice of the people, WA's own paper etc etc., all the sort of parochial flannel that you'd expect since DeCeglie and Stokes have re-imaged the local masthead.

But this little pearl of nothingness caught my eye this morning......bottom right page 52. Would love to know exactly what it means.

"Kevin Sheedy and Denis Pagan will lead Victoria's best city and country jockeys in the second-annual (sic) Rapid Racing at Flemington on January 29. All seven races on the punchy program will be run over 1000m to 1200m with 30-minute (sic) gaps."

If that doesn't illustrate the disdain it has for racing and the complete disrespect with which it treats its readers, nothing will. You wouldn't wrap up your potato peelings in it......what a stark comparison to what it once was.
+1 -1

oldhendo, VillageKid, thefalcon likes this post.

Comments

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Personally ( and i do get the The West Aust home  delivered )- but i would prefer more pictures

I love looking at pictures/photos  of horses in full flight - with the jockey or driver - and there maybe a bit of background - shots of the track - even a picture of greyhounds competing 

There was a terrific  race picture of Magnificent Storm-  pacer  ( in Sat West )

So for me - more pictures/photos ( and current ) and less waffle 

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    R.W.W.A  pays the west 105k. a year for whatever------- plus 375k for the tabform.---but pay SKY 9.815.000 mil. to have split screens no audio,with joints like sheffield dogs given right of way  flicked to the blue channel with  still two minutes.to start time on the red. 

The West only real news now it allows a check  that you haven't made the pushing up daisys column.. 
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    stg, perhaps if our races got away at the advertised start time, the split screens and sky2 would not be the bones of contention... :-
    can't they leave the mounting yard a few minutes earlier or is that too much to ask..?
  • LooksLikeTroubleLooksLikeTrouble    134 posts
    edited January 2021
    Their always late.i reckon it’s to squeeze the last few bucks out of the poor old mug punter ????
    they'd be one buck punters LLT..its sheer incompetence on all concerned..
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Without Gerry Harvey there would be no Waste Australian.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Bring back the good ol Daily News. Can still hear the paper boys cry Daily news paper pape pape

savethegame, thefalcon, VillageKid likes this post.

spinking said:

Bring back the good ol Daily News. Can still hear the paper boys cry Daily news paper pape pape

Rigby the boy and dog somewhere in the cartoon? daily news. Sure Ernie Manning had breaking news from a sydney carnival regarding E.J.? but not another word mentioned any- where at the time. from any other publications think a carpet was moved in sydney.

spinking likes this post.

Urchin was his name STG. Got to like a bloke who created a foolowing of people dedicated to falling over and going limp in public. Bloke I would like to have drink with

savethegame, thefalcon likes this post.

spinking said:

Mate - i used to love Rodney Whites trotting previews - only reason i bought that paper 

Couldnt wait to read big Rods views of all the GP Trots  races 

spinking, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

paul rigby was a good mate of dads, he went to new york and really made a name for himself. his partner in crime, bernie kirwan-ward, who wrote the column underneath the cartoon stayed on in perth. i went to school with his son.
    yeah that limp club, had a name but i've forgotten, started at the palace hotel.

spinking, savethegame likes this post.

thursdays daily news had the sat. fields.....used to meet my mate rumours at the saloon bar of the parmelia and go thru them.....took an early mark.. :!!

Thunderstruck, spinking, savethegame likes this post.

There were some good sport writers back then. Not potting today's mob , but blokes like Nev Catchpole Brian Dock Paddick Gino De Mori Rod White as Marko mentioned above . All had their own ways of describeing a sporting event to full effect

VillageKid, thefalcon, savethegame likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Sponsorship night for The West at GP tonight, The West Australian Nights Of Thunder Final etc...not a solitary word on Harness Racing in the paper. $60 a month payrise coming up for me....after decades of ritually subscribing and having it home delivered, they can shove it up their jacksie.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    JayJay said:

Sponsorship night for The West at GP tonight, The West Australian Nights Of Thunder Final etc...not a solitary word on Harness Racing in the paper. $60 a month payrise coming up for me....after decades of ritually subscribing and having it home delivered, they can shove it up their jacksie.

I love it when people actually make a statement, and carry it out. A lot of people, JayJay, are great in the kitchen, but when it comes to actually doing something, give in like pricked balloon.

It's not just the $720 a year that they won't be getting, it's the loss of possible support of their advertisers, by you or members of your family who read your copy of the paper. If you don't see the add, there is no possibility of you buying the product.

Just for interest, have you let the powers that be at Gloucester Park know your feelings? And what about the paper. have you told them why they won't get another penny from you?

• MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts

JayJay said:

I love it when people actually make a statement, and carry it out. A lot of people, JayJay, are great in the kitchen, but when it comes to actually doing something, give in like pricked balloon.

It's not just the $720 a year that they won't be getting, it's the loss of possible support of their advertisers, by you or members of your family who read your copy of the paper. If you don't see the add, there is no possibility of you buying the product.

Just for interest, have you let the powers that be at Gloucester Park know your feelings? And what about the paper. have you told them why they won't get another penny from you?

They give The West plenty of money, but seeing HN advertising turns me off getting the paper. They are a glorified Car Salesman under a roof.

oldhendo, bookielover, Manchild likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    BL, subscription cancelled at 1.08 pm Friday WST saving $66.79 per month for the Monday to Saturday West, the Sunday Times and the local Manjimup Bridgetown Times. Apology sent to the local agent who has supplied excellent delivery service rain, hail or shine for many decades. Not a GP problem, it is RWWA that run the industry.

bookielover likes this post.

jayjay, after decades you'll miss it. a mate of mine spat the dummy...a) his wife missed the tv guides and b) he missed the whole sheebang. the result? got sat. and sun. delivered, she's happy and he's got his form guides and results.....i reckon the TABtouch is in the car or in the shed...must ask him to fess up... ;)
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited January 2021
    Back in the 70s what was the racing (sports) paper that came out on a Thursday/Friday. Featured form guides and race turns and finishes pics.. I used to study it on a Friday in the library at high school. Was it Sporting something? Sports something? Sports Review?
  • NgawyniNgawyni    738 posts
    Sports Review
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Sporting Globe?
  • oldhendooldhendo    763 posts
    Truth?
  • HotJulesHotJules    226 posts

Back in the 70s what was the racing (sports) paper that came out on a Thursday/Friday. Featured form guides and race turns and finishes pics.. I used to study it on a Friday in the library at high school. Was it Sporting something? Sports something? Sports Review?

Sportsman

bookielover, savethegame likes this post.

Sportsman & Sporting Globe (pretty in pink) were Eastern States produced and I think the one on my mind was local. Ngawyni is correct I think.

The Truth paper. Yes covered racing but uncovered a lot more. B-)

detonator, savethegame likes this post.

^^ headlines like "butcher in the stew"; "dentists wife gets drilled"...all the sordid divorces...at the age of @6 i was forbidden to read it....

SLIPPERGOLDEN, savethegame, Manchild likes this post.

Sportsman & Sporting Globe (pretty in pink) were Eastern States produced and I think the one on my mind was local. Ngawyni is correct I think.

The Truth paper. Yes covered racing but uncovered a lot more. B-)
    The Truth newspaper hey - i use to buy that many years ago - when Ron Taylor was turf editor - purely because of the Eastern states gallops form guide - last 6-7 runs etc  it was great and way ahead of its time 

However some of the headlines in the front part of the paper - and ive never forgotten one  of them - and im not making fun of the incident - just the headline 

There was an alleged sexual assault at a Laundromat - and the Truth headline was 

" Nut screws washer and then bolts  "
    Bank Teller Opens Her Drawers For Cash
    Sporting  Globe pink sleeve---Trying to remmeber the clockers sure Deane Lester was cranborune's man. Philock was perths man  Rollo Roylance was a big part of the globe,think another one was under  Skipton..
    edited January 2021
    spinking said:

There were some good sport writers back then. 

I recall (knew through an associate) in the late eighties a pitiful journalist who was one of the main players for a locally produced Trotting paper. He spent more time trying to organise fixes than he did with actual journalism. The bloke was a twat of the first degree. 
    edited January 2021

Sporting  Globe pink sleeve---

I recall in the mid seventies my favourite Melbourne jockey on rain affected tracks was N Barrett (Chris). He rode a long priced double in town one day resulting in and for a small investment  a very large at the time windfall for a certain underage punter who will remain anonymous (SLIP).

Further to that result I sent a letter to the Sporting Globe asking for copies of the race finishes as produced by the publication and I would pay for the copies. Amazingly they sent me two professional finish prints and did not want any payment. I have never forgotten that fine gesture.