G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members
bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
edited January 2021 West Australian Racing
Hands up! Whose got a mask?

I have to say, on the basis of going through hell here in Victoria because of our goose of a Premier, who failed us by employing people who had absolutely no idea what they were doing, to look after our hotel quarantine and we had 800 needless deaths as a result, that it gives me no satisfaction that Perth people are going through a 5 day lock down due to a similar circumstance.

What this shows you is that this can happen in any State at any time.

My boss, i.e. the missus and I were due to come to Perth on Friday February 5. We cancelled when McGowan decided that even though Victoria hadn't had a case, at that stage for 14 days running, it's now 25, that we would have had to spend two weeks of our three and a half week holiday locked up in our hotel in quarantine.

So we cancelled the trip. That meant, no $2,500 for the hotel, no $1,100 for Bayswater car rental, no money for cafes restaurants, entertainment etc. Then he changes the rules and says that from February 5 at 12.01 AM you can come from Victoria, and Queensland, for that matter, and don't need to quarantine. 

We had already decided that we would come to Perth, God and health, willing, in November. I'd like to be there for the last two weeks in November for the two big meetings, and we were given a two year credit from qantas on our tickets, so we weren't worried about the change.

Now it turns out that the lock down doesn't finish until 5.00 pm on Friday, so we would have had to change our flights because we were due in at 12.00 p.m. That would have been a nice mess.

This is why your tourism has lost $275 million over the last 10 months because no one has come into the State in that time. As some who flew in from Victoria about a month ago found out, your bloke, like ours, closes the border if someone sneezes. Some arrived, got off the plane and had to get a flight to go straight back.

We then decided we'd drive over to Adelaide and spend a couple of weeks there, so we are going over on Friday. I'm looking forward to Morphetville on Saturday. There are  no guarantees that our holiday won't be incident free, but at least we can get in the car and drive back home. I hope!!

All I can do is to wish you all well over there, and hope they get on top of things ASAP. This will probably affect race meetings, etc. but the main thing is to reign it in and hope it hasn't spread.

So, on behalf of my wife who absolutely loves Perth and if not for the fact that she would miss the grand kids too much if we lived there, not the kids mind you, would move there in a heart beat, we hope you stay safe and healthy, and wish you all the best.

Comments

• JimmyPopJimmyPop    316 posts
    Bunbury will be abandoned.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Doesn't start till half hour after the last Jimmy
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    lockdown applies from 6pm so i doubt it...
    of course i could be wrong  8-} f me they overreact fair dinkum!

detonator, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    Bunbury abandoned
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    What a joke. We've had so many positives in NSW yet they are traced and managed and most things stay open. Blanket lockdowns come at such a significant cost but politicians bank on it being hidden and hard to measure. As long as nobody dies of Covid, they are willing to throw thousands of people under the bus.
  • HotJulesHotJules    226 posts
    I support this and hopefully back up and running Friday.
  • SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    McClown... can't stand this power tripping lunatic. Absolute peanut.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Should have listened to Jimmy
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    In a move that was easily predicted Mark Magoo creates a state of panic due to ONE person testing positive. This and previous actions are all about the forthcoming election. 

detonator, bookielover likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    edited January 2021
    Pretty funny he had no power to move on a tent city of 100 people for 2 weeks yet can shut down 95% of the state in an instant.  

Edit - not to trivialise the homelessness issue at all more pointing out the hypocrisy of the bloke who has no power when it suits him when in reality he has total control of the state Under the state of emergency and he loves it

SLIPPERGOLDEN, detonator, Manchild likes this post.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    Bunbury races abandoned so they all pile in to parks tavern across the road. Had a peek through the door just now, and the punters are crammed in like sardines. Shoulder to shoulder. Go figure.

detonator, SLIPPERGOLDEN, SKIDS, thefalcon likes this post.

=)) 

#whattajoke.

bookielover likes this post.

• careycarey    6,368 posts

Hands up! Whose got a mask?

I have to say, on the basis of going through hell here in Victoria because of our goose of a Premier, who failed us by employing people who had absolutely no idea what they were doing, to look after our hotel quarantine and we had 800 needless deaths as a result, that it gives me no satisfaction that Perth people are going through a 5 day lock down due to a similar circumstance.

What this shows you is that this can happen in any State at any time.

My boss, i.e. the missus and I were due to come to Perth on Friday February 5. We cancelled when McGowan decided that even though Victoria hadn't had a case, at that stage for 14 days running, it's now 25, that we would have had to spend two weeks of our three and a half week holiday locked up in our hotel in quarantine.

So we cancelled the trip. That meant, no $2,500 for the hotel, no $1,100 for Bayswater car rental, no money for cafes restaurants, entertainment etc. Then he changes the rules and says that from February 5 at 12.01 AM you can come from Victoria, and Queensland, for that matter, and don't need to quarantine. 

We had already decided that we would come to Perth, God and health, willing, in November. I'd like to be there for the last two weeks in November for the two big meetings, and we were given a two year credit from qantas on our tickets, so we weren't worried about the change.

Now it turns out that the lock down doesn't finish until 5.00 pm on Friday, so we would have had to change our flights because we were due in at 12.00 p.m. That would have been a nice mess.

This is why your tourism has lost $275 million over the last 10 months because no one has come into the State in that time. As some who flew in from Victoria about a month ago found out, your bloke, like ours, closes the border if someone sneezes. Some arrived, got off the plane and had to get a flight to go straight back.

We then decided we'd drive over to Adelaide and spend a couple of weeks there, so we are going over on Friday. I'm looking forward to Morphetville on Saturday. There are  no guarantees that our holiday won't be incident free, but at least we can get in the car and drive back home. I hope!!

All I can do is to wish you all well over there, and hope they get on top of things ASAP. This will probably affect race meetings, etc. but the main thing is to reign it in and hope it hasn't spread.

So, on behalf of my wife who absolutely loves Perth and if not for the fact that she would miss the grand kids too much if we lived there, not the kids mind you, would move there in a heart beat, we hope you stay safe and healthy, and wish you all the best.
    blabber blabber blabber
    edited January 2021
    Carey's out of Forum Lockdown then?

Blabber to you Carey but what you readily dismiss would be interesting reading for others.

Given yours and Bookie's I know whose posts I would prioritise on the reading front 

• careycarey    6,368 posts
    privilege and self entitlement is what i reading.
    it was nothing to do with you, although i am sure you have that very same disease blue boy.
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    Privilege....straight out of the lefty playbook. Many people have worked very hard for their 'privilege'.

SLIPPERGOLDEN, bookielover, Manchild likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Business largely as usual in WA for months.
    Hard short lockdown because of a certified Q hotel based virus breach to ascertain the landscape and reassess.

Shock horror whinge whine. Out come the conservatives harrumphing because they are reminded they are in a society and might have to ration the brandy and cigars for a couple of days.

Please.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    The right action for mine. Let's hope the contact tracing is done and dusted over the next few days and no positives come out of it. If there is one positive then this will be longer than 5 days rest assured.

The individual seemingly did all the right things (checked in everywhere, got tested etc etc) and still unfortunately returned a positive result.

curmudgeon, oldhendo, savethegame, RIO, JayJay likes this post.

edited January 2021
    I wasn't going to bite back at Carey but Rodent your point is clearly made.

Good to have Curmudgeon chipping in. I like the Conservatives comment. Hey Mudge Conservatives always have plenty of brandy and cigars in stock...Even the non drinkers and non smokers..... Just in case as per today we are driven to it. 

curmudgeon, bookielover likes this post.

• HotJulesHotJules    226 posts

Pretty funny he had no power to move on a tent city of 100 people for 2 weeks yet can shut down 95% of the state in an instant.  

Edit - not to trivialise the homelessness issue at all more pointing out the hypocrisy of the bloke who has no power when it suits him when in reality he has total control of the state Under the state of emergency and he loves it

You do understand the difference between State and Local governments right? Division of powers ring a bell?
    Ignorance is golden I suppose.

RIO likes this post.

edited January 2021
    HotJules said:

You do understand the difference between State and Local governments right? Division of powers ring a bell?
    Ignorance is golden I suppose.
    You do understand that when he was called out on it And the pressure came they were moved on within 24hours by the police on the request of the STATE government.  Brad Petit wasn’t going to do a thing, that we know.  There is ignorance here and it’s not from my side

RIO dislikes this post.

I understand the local government in this case the Fremantle Greenies Council were going to wait at least another three weeks to contemplate sorting out the dangerous camp situation... Assaults and alleged rapes etc. McGoo with that scenario was entitled to demand the camp clearance and it was only after media and public uproar that he did act.
    Exactly, my point Slip is the fact he for 2 weeks basically said he had no power to do anything about it when clearly he did and proved that in the end after the heat came on.  

I wasn't going to bite back at Carey but Rodent your point is clearly made.

Good to have Curmudgeon chipping in. I like the Conservatives comment. Hey Mudge Conservatives always have plenty of brandy and cigars in stock...Even the non drinkers and non smokers..... Just in case as per today we are driven to it. 
    You are welcome to it Slip...terrible stuff. The difference between the political factions is never better illustrated than during the strictures of lockdown ....some are happy wipe their clacker with the West Australian while another group insist on the luxury of the Financial Review as outhouse de rigeur.

Markovina, thefalcon likes this post.

:D

Toilette de rigueur that is. 

Hey no need for West Australian or Financial Review unless you missed out on the crazy toilet paper buying frenzy.

:D

Toilette de rigueur that is. 

Hey no need for West Australian or Financial Review unless you missed out on the crazy toilet paper buying frenzy.
    I have a pile of Kalgoorlie Miners precisely for occasions like this .....it will give a touch of authenticity and print of difference when I regale my bored stiff grandkids with tales of how I endured the Great 5 Day Lockdown of 2021. 

oldhendo, RIO likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    Just count our lucky stars we are not in some European countries at the moment..we really have been spoilt and have no idea how bad other countries have it,... and then we whinge about a 5 day lockdown.... bloody embarrassing...

edited January 2021
    Can it not be both though? Just because we are better off than 98% of other places mainly due to geography doesn’t mean we should cop any sort of draconian measure without question.

And the 5 days won’t be 5 days that’s guaranteed.  Even if no other person tests positive which actually means there’s still been no community transmition the coming out of restrictions will be slow and painful.  

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    Now wait for the cover up of how the guard got infected. 

This discussion has been closed.