G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 50 Non Members

Comments

• FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts
    This looks like it will be big. Involves a subsequent Group 1 winner!
  • Goes on in a lot of farms Flanders.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,197 posts

Goes on in a lot of farms Flanders.

Thoroughbred farms?
  • tonytony    2,361 posts
    Buckley doing wrong. Who would have thought.

Manchild likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Can I ask an ignorant question?

The surrogate mare is inseminated? Not even an egg from the right mare?

Then the embryo result is flushed from the surrogate and implanted to the actual mare?

So for arguments sake, Rebutes Hoist does the job with Ballack Cartier and she gets pregnant.

They then take that embryo and put it into Mabribey Beaver?

So it's a RH x BC instead of RH x MB?

:-t
  • BobcatBobcat    159 posts
    Harvest the egg from the good mare, fertilise the egg and plant it in a **** mare. 

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,234 posts
    A number of people would need to be involved wouldn't they ? Vet , Laboratory to do the egg implanting stuff maybe, Stud workers etc....mare owners...
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    H
    Yes, the DNA still matches the good mare, by hence why it can’t be picked up other than by catching in the act.

As far as AI goes - I find it hard to believe some of these bulls cover as many as they do (naturally).
    Especially with so many front ended (early season).
    Different matter....... but while on the general topic.

H-BOMBER, JimmyPop, thefalcon, Rodent, Manchild, RIO likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Bobcat said:

Harvest the egg from the good mare, fertilise the egg and plant it in a **** mare. 

I don’t see what the issue with it is as it’s not like the broodmare can produce more than one egg/foal each season, it’s not like they’re pumping out 10 foals from the same dam as Winx in the one season and getting 10 different dud broodmares to give birth to them?
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    hash said:

Bobcat said:

I don’t see what the issue with it is as it’s not like the broodmare can produce more than one egg/foal each season, it’s not like they’re pumping out 10 foals from the same dam as Winx in the one season and getting 10 different dud broodmares to give birth to them?
    Not exactly right. You could harvest multiple eggs from a champion broodmare and implant them in several surrogates. Then just keep the best live foal or colt/filly depending on preference.

RIO likes this post.

Yes effectively using surrogate mares as incubators. 

With my mad scientist hat on, it would be interesting to see the difference in ability and conformation if there were a scenario where a sire had fertilised mutiple eggs from the one "super" mare and produced multiple progeny in the same year. It would certainly kill the breeding industry off initially and then the racing industry in general

Ethically and morally this would be a disaster

thefalcon, RIO likes this post.

Could physically do it yes, but obviously wouldn't pass muster..............(DNA testing for studbook rego)

thefalcon likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Rodent said:

hash said:

Bobcat said:

Not exactly right. You could harvest multiple eggs from a champion broodmare and implant them in several surrogates. Then just keep the best live foal or colt/filly depending on preference.

Wouldn’t they keep them all because the breeding is the same though
    As above - could only register one or would be sprung

RIO likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    The rules against this are only to protect the breeding industry, nothing to do with racing.   If you want breed to a top eastern states sire it should be the service fee and freight charges.  Why are we flying mares around the country for the same result? 
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    this could be a biggy... :-B

The rules against this are only to protect the breeding industry, nothing to do with racing.   If you want breed to a top eastern states sire it should be the service fee and freight charges.  Why are we flying mares around the country for the same result? 

Yes. Could achieve same by just putting a limit on each bull for the season (so don’t end up with half the mares in the country in foal to the one bull).

Rodent likes this post.

Excellent point, I've never understood why the process has to be el naturale. I would think though there would have to be stricter conditions of use and regulations. If done correctly it could be and even bigger windfall for the breeders
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    AI has been allowed in Standardbreds for yonks.

Manchild likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    and greyhounds also, rodent. the industry also allows "el naturale".
    as an aside, our champ quick jagger is now a pappy 2 times over. i'm going down to have a pick from each litter.