G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 36 Non Members

GP and Albany Friday 19th February

Harness & Greyhounds
Peter Anderson has the entire field of six runners in the 2yo race at Albany.

Shades of Graham Tindale and Mick Lombardo some years back.

Comments

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Remember when Tinny had six of the seven runners at GMTC after the race he looked like he dropped 50dollars and found 10cents when the other horse bolted in Ambro Quicksilver

Rocket_Reign, curmudgeon likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,628 posts
    If all starters are owned and double Westbred bred by Allwood/Bob Fowler, then a collect of $20,188.05 for a $7500 stake race.

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    JayJay said:

If all starters are owned and double Westbred bred by Allwood/Bob Fowler, then a collect of $20,188.05 for a $7500 stake race.

That’s impressive and very well placed.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    edited February 2021
    All horses owned by Allwood or RWWA Director Bob Fowler so Jayjay's projections apply..

curmudgeon likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

All horses owned by Allwood or RWWA Director Bob Fowler so Jayjay's projections apply..

There is a reason the bloke is a successful businessman over a long period of time

VillageKid likes this post.

Perhaps his new CEO is programming the horses as well.

freodockers likes this post.

So glad it goes to Bob Fowler have witnessed his passion &commitment to harness racing over a long time from afar never meet the man. But  what he has always done has  provided opportunity for what level you can afford at yearling sales.

Imagine breeding , then pray nothing happens during pregnancy  mare slips the foal foal born dead blood & septicemia immune disorders running around pacing like beauty then dead,then the ones  born with twisted legs showing 10 to 2. then having to get knees scraped plus continually corrective hoof trimming.etc--etc etc.,

Then 18 months later after paying staff, farriers vets, feed merchants the whole exercise may have cost north of 30k.--- then he gets 5k.

Back again next yearling sale to provide opportunities for who ever, battlers- top enders  no doubt his other business interests allows this to happen. 

I Like to throw the skids under rwwa and rightly so on alot of fronts but they can be highly commended for the continual improvement with the westbred scheme,

But my first involvement in yearlings  sale was a quarter-share in the highest price colt in 1976 yearling sale. 4,250 was his sale price by Garry Rowan  outta -Maori Express,thought he was my shortcut to a .G.T.. Things you remember the highest price of the sale was a Bengazi Hanover outta classic winner Tartan Maid filly that sold for 5k.

That was my money saving up for a car, Harness allows people to display passion from any level.My mates use to say hows the G.T. going you guest it.--- finished up with a putt bang bang putt.

Still retain the passion.-- More power to Bob Fowler & the Charles family---& who else provides a affordable option.
     Remember seeing a drawn up list of kiwis about 20  to 30 years ago not to buy off trainers various reasons whether they were beach trainers & not much improvement or total sharks, lately read where a son  of one that the sheet had mentioned not much of a wrap attached has been  very naughty.so breeding is a big thing ------Was Garry Rowan's second crop.---what a dynasty he started. 

curmudgeon likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Re Allwood Stud - Bob Fowler he sponsors ( or he did maybe the pandemic has halted/changed things ) a yearling sale in South Australia

So you can  buy a pretty cheap yearling in SA - and there is a limited number of horses sold ( so the buyers odds of winning are much better ) then they have the  heats and finals of the races at Globe Derby - for those horses sold at that sale - 50k to 60k the finals are worth i think 

When  it 1st kicked off a couple of years back - i read about it - its a joint/combined association thing between SA Harness  racing and Allwood stud - from memory the finals might be called the Allwood classic or something along those lines
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    STG if only you’d gone back for a second dip couple years later.
    Catlow out of same mare 195.0 k in the 70s, now that was serious money back then.
    Interestingly I see it was exported to Macau.

savethegame likes this post.

Got the yearling sale book around somewhere Freo -- Maori express  have seen  a different one but you may well be right --His mother was a grand-daughter or g.g.daughter of Vedette a interdominion winner.
    Macau harness started in around 1980  --- 250  horses went from australia  in 79/80.----- 80/81 93 horses went only last 8 to 10 years.--- Sure Geoff O'neill ---Kersleys foreman got allocated a team to  train over there.

Yep remember a truckload stuck at home that were bought for Macau, only for it to fall over and close.
    Great little stand horse Iron Eyes Cody was one of them. I remember him because I you used to back him every time he went to York.
    Was trained by old George James.

Through Ken Ford I was asked to consider bookmaking in Macau in an endeavour to create greater interest. Seriously considered it but it was a bridge too far with a young family and the unknown.

Correct name I couldn’t remember, was he a steward at one stage.
    He got my father involved with the exports to Macau.
     Lucky bookmaker's story  one race- round early eighties.Fella I still call Deer Hunter, ---Owned  a pacer called Deer Hunter n.z. Heavily supported wins but they had done one extra lap someone forgot to ring the bell.
    Bookmakers clerk sure he told me it was the bookies wife,? she had walked over handed him 6k. before the horses had got back to scale and correct weight. 

He was heading down to presentation area. Loves telling you----You think Raelene Boyle  was quick----when it was declared no--race. the bookies wife? had him  in a couple of strides.
    Ken Ford was a former trainer driver who became a steward in WA before he went to Macau.

Had a Free For All horse named Halt that went okay but JayJay could elaborate.

freodockers likes this post.

• sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Greg Schofields  spent time in Macua...
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    George Pengel worked with me in a stock feed business for a couple of years. Red headed teetotaller who could talk underwater with a mouth full of marbles. Won an Oaks with Jamcaro and took her to NSW I think. He did a stint in Macau as well. Good fella....shop phone bill to his mate Ross Olivieri nearly sent me broke.
    edited February 2021

Ken Ford was a former trainer driver who became a steward in WA before he went to Macau.

Had a Free For All horse named Halt that went okay but JayJay could elaborate.

Halt was an old horse that came from over east, won a stack of races at the Melbourne Showground, FFA horse. But I don't think Mr Ford trained him, he drove him for Len Walton I think. He won a Memorial Day Stakes but not a lot else. His more illustrious brother was Festive Spring, a star for Leo Keys (Winter Cup, multiple FFA's at both GP and Richmond. In 1963(?) I think, there was a Royal Visit Invitation worth a whopping 2000 pounds and after Festive Spring won, "Leo the Spiv" got to mix with royalty. I have nothing to add about Mr Ford!!!! He was a contrasting deputy chief steward to the nicest and best steward ever to officiate at GP in Don Thomas.
    George Pengel had another good horse that he raced with a big fellow (Hickman?) but I cant think of its name....in the late 1970's. I recall Jamcaro but this was another good mare.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,275 posts
    edited February 2021
    Race 1-   Lavra Joe,  Mighty Ronaldo,  Talks Up A Storm,  Robbie Rocket
    Race 2-   Shadow Roll,  Mr Kiwi,  Liam Neil,  Bettor Be Lively
    Race 3-   Bettor Be Oscar,  Power And Grace,  Terror In Texas,  Has No Fear
    Race 4-   Howard Hughes,  PatrickThePiranha,  Fifty Five Reborn,  Dredlock Rockstar
    Race 5-   Wildwest,  Vultan Tin,  Major Times,  Wainui Creek
    Race 6-   Always An Angel,  American Arma,  Black Jack Baby,  Rumour Has It
    Race 7-   Matai Geordie,  Cordero,  Valentines Brook,  Boom Time
    Race 8-   Antero,  Al Guerrero,  Diego,  Carrera Mach
    Race 9-   Miss Limelight,  Intheskyrocket,  Weewah,  All The Bells
    Race 10- Always A Dreamer,  Dark Secret,  My Mdina,  War Spirit

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

• MuldoonMuldoon    317 posts
    edited February 2021

Peter Anderson has the entire field of six runners in the 2yo race at Albany.

Shades of Graham Tindale and Mick Lombardo some years back.
    Is the WA TAB really on the ball or care ?

Here we are at 11.30am Friday and still no Fixed odds up for Albany's meeting tonight, yet Sportsbet had markets up at 5.30pm last night.  

No wonder everyone has corporate accounts.

VillageKid, freodockers, JayJay likes this post.

No to both questions.
    Sky exceeded their normal level of biased incompetence race 1 GP. Switched to sky2  on quarter screen with dogs standing around with over 4 minutes before they jumped in some non event gallops race at Toowoomba. Could have run the race, interviewed the winning driver and had a cuppa before they jumped at the gallops. The dogs held, so it eventually went full screen but it is a disgrace.

VillageKid, JimmyPop likes this post.

Fair comment JayJay but GP mobile was still on the outside fence at start time for no apparent reason. It works both ways. Don't give Sky the opportunity to flick you by running late. Field was released 1:39 after advertised starting time.

JayJay likes this post.

Correct...but a bit of common sense and fair play wouldn't go astray. They need little encouragement to dump the trots as we are now known once again.
    I hope they didn’t pay someone to come up with “trots”.

JayJay, Pinballwizard likes this post.

Took a long time for the mouse to turn the wheel a full circle. I have never ever heard anyone ever say 'Oh bewt, we are off to the Harness Races tonight". Some trendy marketing type produced an epic fail years ago with that name change.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    No tips tonight lads?
    Stewards inquired into the reason for the sulkies of MR KIWI NZ (G. Hall Jnr) and SHADOW ROLL NZ (A. Cortopassi) becoming engaged in the front straight to receive the bell, with the sulkies being unable to be disengaged for a considerable distance resulting in both runners effectively taking no competitive part in the event thereafter. In this incident BETTOR BE LIVELY (S. Suvaljko) was severely checked, C C CHEVRON NZ (C. Voak) was checked and TWENTYNINE TWELVE NZ (M. Miller) was inconvenienced. Stewards ascertained that MR KIWI NZ and SHADOW ROLL were racing tightly however there was no discernible movement from either runner and no further action was taken in this incident.

Bad look and $100s of thousands of punters money went out the window at the bell. I wonder if it had been Joe Blow and his mate involved that blame may have been apportioned. Not talking through my kick as I backed neither and was on the winner to be placed.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts

Stewards inquired into the reason for the sulkies of MR KIWI NZ (G. Hall Jnr) and SHADOW ROLL NZ (A. Cortopassi) becoming engaged in the front straight to receive the bell, with the sulkies being unable to be disengaged for a considerable distance resulting in both runners effectively taking no competitive part in the event thereafter. In this incident BETTOR BE LIVELY (S. Suvaljko) was severely checked, C C CHEVRON NZ (C. Voak) was checked and TWENTYNINE TWELVE NZ (M. Miller) was inconvenienced. Stewards ascertained that MR KIWI NZ and SHADOW ROLL were racing tightly however there was no discernible movement from either runner and no further action was taken in this incident.

Bad look and $100s of thousands of punters money went out the window at the bell. I wonder if it had been Joe Blow and his mate involved that blame may have been apportioned. Not talking through my kick as I backed neither and was on the winner to be placed.
    If no one is to blame for the incident then surely the equipment being used is not suitable and a new cart design needs to made so it doesnt continue multiple times a week.

savethegame likes this post.

Absolute garbage,, Aldo sitting there minding his own business and a wheel from another runner drives up underneath him and no one is to blame.
    What the stewards are saying just doesn't make sense.
    If,, and its a big if they were racing tight then obviously one was racing too tight and disrupted half the field.
    Aldo was sitting on the fence just minding his own business, no mention of his horse getting up the track. 
    What is he supposed to do drive over the pegs to allow for the horse improving to his outside.