G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 23 Non Members

ASCOT 27/3/2021

West Australian Racing
where's train?

now, what are we going to do about Hoboken? down in class, good barrier. currently $51 fixed.
wish one of the other brothers was on top..

Comments

• TrainTrain    186 posts
    R1- UNRELIABLE went to a new level last week beating a handy staying field with authority. Sat wide and made a sustained run from the 800 off the back of a strong tempo. Won a class one two back when having to pick up in the straight which doesn’t suit him. Drawn three in a small field he gets the chance to improve into the race as he pleases and with 51.5kg he can make it three on the spin.

R2- LORD LONSDALE looks a horse who can go through the grades this campaign. Was a two time winner from three starts last prep and looked to appreciate the addition of blinkers when winning at his last start. His recent trial was strong in quick time without the race day blinkers and although 1200 is short of his best distance, he gets a chance to lead them which should offset that. Looks very well placed after Bennett’s claim and she knows the horse well.

R3- STORY BOOK was never a chance in the Gimcrack when last and wide on a day that suited those on the fence. Actually got to the line okay in nice enough sectionals to suggest she’ll improve here. She beat He’s Gold and Diamond Blue on debut which looks outstanding form for this. Finds herself in a much weaker field here and drops 2kg on the run after Bennett’s claim. On the backup she looks much better suited in this.

R4- WESTERN EMPIRE looks a genuine $1.10 chance in a very uninspiring edition of the Melvista Stakes. Has bolted in at 3/4 starts this prep with his only loss coming after over racing badly in the Challenge Stakes. 2200 shouldn’t be a problem provided he doesn’t over race which in a field with no speed from barrier one pretty much means he has to lead. From there he can Pike can have them go as slow as Western Empire allows and save his turn of foot for as long as possible.

R5- GRANRANDELL won’t know himself with 52.5kg. Has been going okay including a last start second to KIA ORA STAR who he meets again here and although being well beaten on that occasion gets a 5kg pull in the weights. Should lead without a great deal of pressure in this field from a low draw and although untried at 1800, has found the find kind of race to give him a good chance.

R6- TINSNIP has recaptured his best form and put in two good runs this campaign. Loomed the winner first up before peaking on his run when third in a fast run mile before getting the job done in another fast run race. Beat Bruce Almighty who has won since and run a close second and the first three in that race spaces fourth. Should get another nice run midfield with cover and if he can hold this form should be winning another race soon.

R7- Best Bet: AMASENUS arguably should be unbeaten this prep. Was nearly put through the fence first up before beating a strong class three line up. Last start was able to sit much handier and still show her strong turn of foot when comfortably winning a 60+. This the strongest race she’s contested but getting to 1200 looks in her favour. As does gate seven which she looks capable of using to sit midfield again and from there with the speed on she’ll be hard to hold out.

R8- PURE DEVOTION has been the run of race in both the lead ups to the Oaks. Had to weave through the field when a fast finishing third in the 1000 Guineas before picking up off the back of crawl in the Natasha and was a massive effort to get within 0.5L of Solaia. 2400 looks perfect and this looks her grand final which the stable are always great at having horses set for races. Pike on is the cherry on top and she looks a deserving favourite.

R9- RIVER BEAU got the job done in a fast run race last start. Didn’t win by a big margin but isn’t the kind of horse who does that and can tend to float when he hits the front. Barrier ten here means he can sit out the back with cover in what looks like being another fast run race. He broke 33 seconds for his last 600 first up and if he can reproduce something like that can match motors with MISS CONTEKI. Against a similar field to last start he should prove the testing material to the hype horse in Miss Conteki.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2021
    Just the one bet - this mare in some quarters is better than $2 a place, she’s a tough nut to crack, can get back in the ruck and be hampered and blocked for runs, can be a fraction disappointing on occasions too, but she has an X factor and more importantly has Willy Pike aboard.

Race 5 win and mostly place - Beret.
  • psychopsycho    652 posts
    thefalcon said:

where's train?

now, what are we going to do about Hoboken? down in class, good barrier. currently $51 fixed.
    wish one of the other brothers was on top..
    Down in class, good barrier, last start was 1200m (not best distance) and the trick you missed was the Blinkers GO ON, is a rediculous price I say go for it
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    yeah, missed the blinkers, psycho....its still 51's....i'm on...
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    Reliable star is the best stayer in the Oaks without any doubt in my mind, would love Carberry to go forward and make an actual test of it it because the stablemate who’s probably a 1600m horse will out sprint her if it’s another walk.  Just hope he’s not been scared off after the last tome he tried it on a peters horse
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Tried it on :O)
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    What are you saying exactly?  Just say it in words rather than hiding behind ambiguous emojis
    edited March 2021
    Pay 1,2 on the Melvista and Western Empire likely to be $1.04 a place on the tote or the dreaded $1.00 money back ( you can’t win but u can lose bet ) so might be a bit of value for that runners up position, going for the two prong attack of Off Wego and Flash Ducati both should be around $3+ a place to knock off the second elect Outback Jack for second. Clint Johnston - Porter and Chris Parnham to ride those two - they’ll do.

Those three should have a good tussle for the runners up cheque.

The rank outsider and likely last place getter My Friend Paul am sure has the same name as a horse that came from over east or NZ to run in a Railway Stakes many moons ago, didn’t win it but ran quite well from memory and was highly fancied.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited March 2021
    As per normal a few selections at odds;

R5 Last chance saloon for Watch Me Ney Ney. Will appreciate distance. Interstate the saver.
    R6 Lucky Linda Lulu is suited here. Odds are incredible. Get on each way.
    R7 I don't mind Point Taken each way
    R8 First three in betting pick themselves but a mad one for novelties who shapes as if it could run 5 laps... not certain at what speed :D    ... Will be passing the ones that don't stay... Denzoe

bigorangecat likes this post.

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Going to the track today. Bit of a SFR reunion happening.
    I'm 14 months without a drink so I reckon by about race 6 the crew will be annoying enough to see me heading for the gate
    :-*

Race 1 - Just a little on the 4 to win.

Race 2 - Another token bet - Pink N Gray

Race 3 - Going a bit E/w on Kentucky Blue.

Race 5 - Looks made for Kia Ora Star.

Race 7 Sweet Dreamin' - Black & White stripes to win again :)

Sticking with Reliable Star in the Oaks.

All Jeed Up - race 7 at Toowoomba. Come on big fella! 4 seconds from 5 starts this prep, been messed around by the weather, but geez, he looks better than these... $2.70 is stealing money!
  • GoddGodd    199 posts
    Each way
    R4- Kentucky blue
    R7- point taken
    R8-reliable star
    R9- state attorney & kramden
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited March 2021
    Bit more focused on Rosehill but two i like one with an asterisk Notorius One in R6 who STILL looked green in the trial, must be hard work getting this bugger to toe the line hopefully he runs well and pretty straight because i think he has pretty decent ability.

AND good luck to those backing Hoboken today in a way at the odds i can see why it's worth a stab i have a ? though, why not the stablemate and fellow journey horse David Niven?? their very similar animals with similar underwhelming win records and it's 34's just saying...
    Nevermind the Parnham pair though and i'll slightly knock the fav from gate 1 too..and suggest River Beau will be steaming home at a rate these cannnot match, wider gate suits him tracking up and goes whooshka late.

Look's Bob's Oaks to lose no spoil the price but W.Pike V Chrissy Parnham could be an exciting finish to watch.

thefalcon likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Good luck today

Unreliable
    Uncanny Timing
    Sockoff
    Western Empire
    Melarab
    Downforce
    Absolute
    Pure Devotion
    Miss Conteki

• savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
     3kg Apprentice .K. Bennett has handy book of 5 rides. with a interesting  booking Magniforce who posses enough ability to win a saturday race terrible gate but if they decide to go forward he can wing the gate having a trial  under his belt, with a second up card showing 3 from 4. at 20s might get you outta the chair at the 200 m. mark,

thefalcon, bigorangecat likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    pike on diablerie??? worth a few bucks?

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Trying to understand the tactics used on Kersley horses is a rapid fire way to send yourself to the nut house.

curmudgeon likes this post.

edited March 2021
    She was good Beret coming from along way back that’s 16 starts now and never been out of top 5.

The other one who is very good - takes a bit to convince me with the hoops - Clint Johnston - Porter another polished exhibition on winner Miss Marietta.
    edited March 2021
    It’s a fine line whether they slot in from barrier 10 in a field of 11 at the 1800 - and for Miss Marietta the difference between winning and running seventh, variables and luck in running - that’s what it’s all about.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    And then the same pilot pulls the head off one, making sure it is tucked in behind a wall of horses, rather than taking a dream run along the fence!!!!!

Yep, all in the running!!!!!
    edited March 2021
    What’s that saying Rio...one moment a bug and the next a windscreen!

Just had a cursory look at Giddyup tips on that race Dipara - best roughie and Wild Fusion in top 4.

Don’t advocate any tipping service their worse than me, and do your own stuff, but their actually fairly close to the mark. Maybe it’s just when I look!
    Another good one - the ox is slow but the earth is patient. When back Beret week in week out that’s one to remember.

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    GIDDY UP...up tp 1200 on the gallops and under 400 on the dogs, i find them to be doing okay..

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• WhatisthepointWhatisthepoint    181 posts
    Gee pike left it late a few times today lol perth racing nice price the winner in oaks perth racing she goes good.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Boilover in WA Oaks. Pike got too far back on the fav - only just got beaten. Winner too good.....outstayed them
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    What a disaster!
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    WTF was that s***.
    Reckon Pike has been riding over east too much.
    He has forgotten how short the Ascot straight is.
    [-X

RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    :))
    Recall about 4 or 5 runs ago Lunar Impact rolled in a 1500 metre maiden at Albany, thought might take a little while for her to win a race.

Pure Devotion SP $1.85 keep your nerve and lay every odds on fave in Perth racing for 12 months and you’ll be a mile in front!
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Lunar Impact - the daughter of Real Impact who won the George Ryder Stakes. Real Impact is the sire of Deep Impact.
    Hasn’t run too badly but last four runs for Lunar Impact SP odds, 100/1, 70/1, 100/1 and 50/1.