G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Arcadia Queen - Career Over

West Australian Racing
A good career comes to an end. Where does Arcadia Queen rank in terms of the best WA horses of the past 25 years?

https://www.unnamedwebsite.com.au/news/australian-racing/arcadia-queens-racing-career-over/674990

Comments

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    edited April 2021
    That link is stuffed PC but anyways...

Very saddened about this, clearly injury cruelled her career and the number of top class wins achieved so she ended up with "only" 3 group 1's but had the potential and talent to win at least another few.At 1600/2000m was up there with the best in the country.

So although based a bit on this unrealised potential the signs were there when 100% last spring so i would say she would rank comfortably in the top 3 or 4 W.A gallopers of the last qtr century, would have given Northerly one hell of a run at 2000m and probably beats him over 1600 regularly.
    Apologies if i have forgotten any deemed more worthy. 
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    Yep hard to see any others in the same caliber as Her in that 2000m space since Northerly.  It would seem as though Bob has really dialled in his breading now though and it might not be too long before there’s another to replace her.  Truly Great could have even been the one and even Inspiriational Girl has massive upside.

Really sad Arcadia Queen didn’t fully realise her potential (some of that is on Bob for chasing the Everest $$$) but hopefully the Cerise and White and Pikey keep flying the flag over East for WA.  And that leaves more for the battlers left here as well. Everyone wins

Thunderstruck, thefalcon, Manchild likes this post.

edited April 2021
    And to put some perspective on it...she OWNS a horse like Melody Belle(who i like and is a very very good mare who won 14 and only 1 less G1 over east), some of the very best ones don't get to kick ass long term unfortunately.I would have loved to see her VE and Addeybb clash in the Queen Elizabeth she would have been right in that race barring a heavy track.

Agree too Truly Great could have been just that, what a loss there will be others no doubt still sad losses these two and TG being deceased even sadder.
    I know the star mares generally don't excel in the breeding barn but hopefully she produces some quality foals would be worth a tidy price as a broodmare i imagine.

Wonder if Showmanship will make it back thought of him when considering some of Bob's luck lately.

thefalcon, jum likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    I couldn't see Arcadia Queen beating Northerly at a mile to 1600m.

That being said she had a good career. A pity they targeted The Everest with her in 2019. She wasn't up to it at that level at 1200m. Should of been aimed at the Cox Plate although Lys Gracieux (2019 Cox Plate winner) was a good horse.

thefalcon likes this post.

edited April 2021
    At a mile you mean or..? I could because you could stalk him and catch him napping with her explosive turn of foot before he could fight like the tiger he was..all speculation of course and Northerly is the yardstick and clearly #1 but moreso later as a 2000m horse.

Everest was definitely a bad move(greedy i guess)but she went well in the 2020 CP even given the track favoured mudlarks and mistriding twice in running..yet still kept coming late.

thefalcon, jum, PC likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Yeah at a mile onwards I'm not sure in my opinion Arcadia Queen would beat Northerly.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    IMO. wouldn't discount anything when analysing what she was or was't capable of doing.Horse that i couldn't believe how she even bounced back from her sydney campaign serious doubt whether she would return to the track it took  over nine months to rebuild her body & mind was the talk..Still have doubt to what level  she got back to--- the record books will say 16 starts 8 wins. 3.9 million in stakes.

They sent her over the top in sydney ,but in the washup her time in the everest when checked at the 200-300 mark and was eased out she still run 1.08.10 .time that elite w.a sprinters like Hay List scenic blast bottom out at. Miss Andretti is the benchmark at 1.7.74.we all agree her best distance is the 1600-2000m bracket, thought flemington was her most suitable track.

Arcadia Queen won the group i fruit veg at her seventh start by 4.5 lengths first campaign 6 from 7 very unlucky not to be 7/7. Her  last nine runs there were issues every step of the way  wrong targets feet issues ,bar plates,float trip across the nullarbor. .to deal with her they had to add a norton bit.--IMO. . when you listen to pike& macdonald talk about her at different times they couldn't believe the power.

jum, thefalcon, Manchild likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Northerly's peak Timeform rating was 129. Arcadia Queen's peak Timeform rating was 121. She would have to run a new peak rating to beat Norrherly in my opinion at 1600m to 2000m.

Still a good career and a shame its ended.