G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Who actually goes to the races from this forum ?

West Australian Racing
Following on from Chris' recent post about what would entice you back to the track I am wondering who actually attends race meetings on here ? Be interesting to see 2 answers

1) The last time you attended Belmont or Ascot

2) When you were last a "regular racegoer"

By regular I would say at least twice a month

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    You won’t catch me at ascot while they have the ridiculous social distancing crap and requirements to wear a mask in public

detonator, psycho, jum, JimmyPop likes this post.

• psychopsycho    652 posts
    hash said:

You won’t catch me at ascot while they have the ridiculous social distancing crap and requirements to wear a mask in public

The social distancing was non existent Hash and the mask wearing was only indoors, but do agree if we all had to do it everywhere I would think twice about going
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    I liked to go every Saturday years ago, now maybe once a year.

psycho likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    4 weeks ago, go monthly
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    i'm with manchild, they would not start if i wasn't there...now i would go maybe 3-4 times a year. its so bloody boring, no atmosphere at all plus the price of a frothie is criminal, the general publics food is crap...

Manchild likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    psycho said:

hash said:

The social distancing was non existent Hash and the mask wearing was only indoors, but do agree if we all had to do it everywhere I would think twice about going

It’s an absolute joke of a rule!
    Social distancing is encouraged yet we’re are crammed on a plane when flying? We queue up in the shopping centres and brush shoulders with strangers walking up and down the aisles yet are required to social distance?
    Wearing a mask won’t stop you from contracting the virus in my opinion, it is good though to stop you from touching your mouth :-??

thefalcon likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    What is this weeks rule at Ascot re mask`s ?
  • RodentRodent    7,024 posts
    The last time I was at Ascot was Boxing Day 1997.

JimmyPop, Manchild likes this post.

• ElitistElitist    365 posts
    There most Ascot Saturdays, drop-off during Belmont season

psycho, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Chris said:

4 weeks ago, go monthly

Not the only thing you do monthly

:))

thefalcon likes this post.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    463 posts
    Only when i have a horse racing, or a close mate has a horse racing and he wants a drinking buddy. Usually about 10 times to a dozen times a year.
  • LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    298 posts
    About 12-14 times a year. Never missed group 1s, Perth cup, or Karrakatta day
    edited May 2021
    In the 90's whenever there was a meeting on in W.A I would go to the nearest race meeting so I could get the bookie flucs. I remember going to a Bulli Trots day meeting to bet on W.A gallops. In NSW we didn't cover as many W.A meetings back then so I would go to the races 2 or 3 times per week. 
     The internet and SKY at home killed off my racecourse attendance.
    p.s back then it was illegal to transmit prices off course. Mobile phones were even banned for a time. The only place to legally get the prices was on course. Talk about an incentive to attend!
  • ManchildManchild    679 posts
    Hey Rodent , did you win that day in 1997 ?
    Don't think so. I had a woman in tow.....probably why.
    true rodent, never take a bulla* to the races...unless she has a pal to go with her.

* a NSW term that probably only rodent knows...
  • detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    The races used to be a place you can go by yourself and be entertained in the bookies ring waiting for a good price and or watching where all the money is going.
    That aspect is gone with no bookies. 
    So for me I only go if I am catching up with mates and or a corporate day such as the Melbourne Cup. 
    The tv coverage and the internet on the couch with cheap beers suits me fine these days.
    I would probably do about 15 meetings a year I reckon. Including country.

hash, Gilgamesh, psycho likes this post.

At the end of the day my thought is that technology has killed the races (crowds at the races). As has been stated on here already why would go to pay to get in, then be hit with rediculous prices for alcohol/food and have few bookies on course, when you can do this from the comfort of your lounge ? Guess for me it is a habit to get up on Saturday morning and got to the track as I have done for around 40 odd years now, and most likely will till the big man says "Sonny your numbers up" your coming with me  :-h

thefalcon, sonny likes this post.

• bradybrady    1,452 posts
    I go every week 
    So does Train Lol

jum, thefalcon, sonny likes this post.

:-S should be "psycho your numbers up"........our mate Sonny won't be too happy about impending doom... ;)

psycho, sonny likes this post.

thefalcon said:

:-S should be "psycho your numbers up"........our mate Sonny won't be too happy about impending doom... ;)

Apologies to Sonny, reckon he will make the year out hey  :)>-

sonny, thefalcon likes this post.

• bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    edited May 2021
    I haven’t been a regular since 2000.  Never seem to have the time. The last time I went in Melbourne was when Falcon was over here and we went to a midweek at Caulfield, probably about 8 years ago.

The only time I go now is when me and the boss come to perth. We actually love it, atmosphere or no atmosphere. Get a few tips from some very nice friends there and punt until they carry us out.

Love going to Gloucester Park on a Friday night too even though I’ve never been a trots follower.
    I suppose it’s the doing things on a holiday that you never do at home factor, but you could add that I was brought up at the track and it’s in the blood.

Went to Wagga and NewCastle back in March for a total of 14 days and the holiday was timed to include 5 race meetings. I’m lucky the missus enjoys going, otherwise we’d be sitting in the hotel all day!! We aren’t ones for taking in the sites.

psycho likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited May 2021
    4 years since I have been. A memorable day with my late Father which sadly was his last day at the races. We both had a very successful day on the punt but now on reflection the day spent together far exceeded the value of the punting profit. God bless him.
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Little heroes sung a song about that day you spent with your Dad Slipper
    edited May 2021
    I have a high regard for their songs One Perfect Day and Bon Voyage. I can relate to both of them particularly a girlfriend in the UK at the time (And tell me if it's still raining there in England?). Excuse my ignorance but which song are you referring to Spinking?
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    No ignorance there Slipper. The first one you mentioned one perfect day. Maybe not so much the lyrics , but definitely the title would describe that day you spent at the track with your late father. If I knew how to cut and paste would put it up here Great song
    Yes thought of the Little Heroes songs that would be the one. Thanks Spinking.
    Most on this forum do not post comments with the main intention of receiving likes for their comments but I do want to thank those that liked my previous post. Your hearts are in the right place.