G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

2021 Melbourne Cup Thread

East Coast Racing
PCPC    2,190 posts
Hi everyone,

This can be the Melbourne Cup discussion thread for all things about the Melbourne Cup for 2021....this thread can be seelrate from the others threads so that it's easy to find.

I'll get the ball rolling by posting below the nominations:

https://www.punters.com.au/news/international-melbourne-cup-entries-halved_200270/
+1 -1

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Comments

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Also, Spanish Mission ran in the G2 Lonsdale Cup (3200m) tonight, Stradivarius won. It was a tight finish, both horses going hammer and tongs. Thats his last race in England. He will go into quarantine and head to Australia for the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup. Currently $41 for the win and $8.50 for the place on Sportsbet for the Melbourne Cup. Might be worth having a few dollars each way.

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    I missed the "value" odds for She's Ideel, she was 100's then Baker spruiked her on racing sites now the last time i looked backed right into $34.

Pretty good chance Verry Elleegant($31)will have another crack at the race depends on any increase in weight i suppose.

@PC i just looked and Spanish Mission has been wound right in to near favourite at $13, these fn bookies give away nothing deadset....

• PCPC    2,190 posts

I missed the "value" odds for She's Ideel, she was 100's then Baker spruiked her on racing sites now the last time i looked backed right into $34.

Pretty good chance Verry Elleegant($31)will have another crack at the race depends on any increase in weight i suppose.

@PC i just looked and Spanish Mission has been wound right in to near favourite at $13, these fn bookies give away nothing deadset....

Yep - Spanish Mission has been absolutely hammered in the betting and is favourite for the Melbourne Cup in some betting markets. Currently favourite with the WA TAB....paying $9.75, and yet was $41 an hour ago.

Glad I got on at $41 an hour ago before the betting markets woke up. Just a few dollars each way.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    And Sportsbet has Spanish Mission at $13...in from $41. Price came right in the past hour
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    WA TAB has shortened Spanish Mission from $9.75 to $9.25
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    York Ebor tonight may confirm visitors. Entries include Miraan, Sonnyboyliston & Away He Goes.

The equal favourites Hamish hasn't started for 428 days and Mt Leinster for 314 days but you can't dismiss them however I think Miraan can win and is worth an each way bet at least @ $12. An absolute maddie for a place is Blue Cup first time up to the 2800 metres.

Gilgamesh, PC likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited August 2021
    Hamish was scratched and indeed my selections would have differed after track deterioration but Sonnyboyliston is set for a trip to Melbourne.

PC likes this post.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    Will be interesting when weights are released. I think next month?
    Surefire, one Waller has imported looks a likely type who should hit the tracks next month probably in Mebourne, saw a booming win by him over 2400 at his latest run in the UK at Ascot.
    Only issue he is only a northern hemisphere 3yo with just the 5 starts to date so may be a bit new this year.
    Is $61 probably because of this.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    its folly talking and betting at 2 months from the big day......scores and scores of hopefuls will fall by the wayside...
    Safer option then Falc have something on a local, Verry Elleegant she will get there or at least is at much less risk she won't  :D
    ^^ 2 miles? :-?
    thefalcon said:

^^ 2 miles? :-?

Yeh i reckon she gets it, probably the 3rd best run last year behind the winner and Prince Of Arran and the only horse to break 35 seconds her last 600(a rarity in itself).
    Nowhere near a standout but she will get the same weight i'd say and Zahra won't be 19th at the 400 this year left her too much to do!..likely runs a beauty again i know it's not your thing just putting her up in lights on the premise that she is pretty likely to run and $36 boosted is still available.

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    News just in that Prince Of Arran has been retired.
    edited September 2021
    PC said:

News just in that Prince Of Arran has been retired.

Rest well old boy, sure did thrive when he raced out here ...quite unlucky not to have won the big dance last year had great results nonetheless.
  • Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    Was just a thought I heard throw out randomly today but wouldn’t he be a great pick up for living legends?   Up to connections obviously but clearly had a greater reputation here than in the UK

Great idea though i did hear Fellowes say he might get into Showjumping down the track over there.I really liked this horse he went super in Oz and would love it no doubt.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    Incentivise - i wonder if his rating will go up now due to that G1 Makybe Diva Stakes win which could mean more weight for the Cups

• PCPC    2,190 posts
    https://www.rsn.net.au/featured/13/09/2021/cup-at-mercy-of-incentivise-form-guru/

Also, weights for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups will be released today by Carps (Greg Carpenter).
    edited September 2021
    Wow 55.5 for Incentivise they didnt miss him..plus a penalty should he win the Caulfield Cup.

I'm not going to deep dive the weights for the MC any time real soon but how the phuck does Verry Elleegant cop 1.5kg more for running 7th and only a kilo less than Twilight Payment?

Seems like whatshisface was half cut doing the weights....
    Unpopular opinion no doubt(plus i have been a bit of a critic of this galloper)and i don't know at all if they are going there but to me Sir Dragonet even with 58 is a big chance in the CC.. $46 boosted
  • PCPC    2,190 posts

Wow 55.5 for Incentivise they didnt miss him..plus a penalty should he win the Caulfield Cup.

I'm not going to deep dive the weights for the MC any time real soon but how the phuck does Verry Elleegant cop 1.5kg more for running 7th and only a kilo less than Twilight Payment?

Verry Elleegant gets the 2kg mares allowance.
  • PCPC    2,190 posts
    I actually had a feeling Incentivise would get around 55kg to 56kg. Had he not won that G1 Makybe Diva Stakes on the weekend then his handicap rating doesn't go up, which it was 111 at the time of weights being declared. 111 equates to 55.5kg. I reckon had he not won that G1 then he gets roughly 53.5kg to 54.5kg
    PC said:

Verry Elleegant gets the 2kg mares allowance.
    all good i forgot or didn't consider her subsequent group 1 wins in the autumn bumping up her weight, not sure she will run in the MC anyway.

thefalcon likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts
    edited September 2021
    Verry Elleegant can win the MC even at the weight. Over half of the top 10 in the market likely don’t run and she’s basically a lock as long as she runs ok in the Cox Plate.  The current odds are verry good

edited September 2021
    True that she can, can't remember if they have announced a rider for her yet in Melbourne? maybe not but at least it won't be Zahra having her too far back like last year(though he would have learnt i guess).Beaut run in the cup last year and not far behind the winner and Prince Of Arran for the best run of the race.
    Probably runs in the Caulfield Stakes 9 Oct as her first run there and a clash with Zaaki to wet the appetite for the Cox Plate..
    i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.
    thefalcon said:

i'll tell you blokes something for nothing...something way down in the weights will take the cup home.

Surefire C.Waller? one i mentioned earlier in this thread :D