G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 10 Non Members

Belmont 14/5/22

West Australian Racing
R1- TOP OF THE POPS is undefeated after two and has been improving with every public outing. Put away a maiden field easily at Pinjarra and seemed to appreciate the longer Scarpside course. Brought that form to town and was smashed late in betting. He looked in trouble of straightening but knuckled down well to grab them on the line. Comes to a more forgiving Belmont course drawn one and getting to 1400 looks up his alley. Can probably hold leaders back and that makes things much easier.

R2- MEDIA BARON looks ready to run a race. Has run last of six at two runs back but hasn’t been beaten far at either and over sprint trips with some quality sprinters engaged. Now steps to the mile into what is, besides GOD HAS CHOSEN, a very moderate race while the best of Media Baron has seen him win back to back Old Comrades. From barrier five in a small field it’s a fairly simple ride, don’t go to the fence no matter what.

R3- DEVOTED will be looking to follow the precedent set by Advanced at Northam Thursday. Is having his first start for the Grantham yard after a couple of very nice trials that looked to show he had improved on his initial campaign. Produced a big rating on debut beating a handy one with 7L to third before finding 1200 too short behind Hardly Ever and Buzzoom. He then chimed into the 3yo features acquitting himself well without gaining too many ratings points unlike STAY SAFE who he meets here 3kg better at the weights. Looks a terrific kick off point for him.

R4- KOLCHINO was a tad disappointing first up when taking a sit. Don’t think that’s the excuse enough for him to be that plain but thinking he can rebound in a race like this. Gets back to Belmont where he is one from one, looks a horse who will appreciate the wet and finds a with no other real speed engaged. His two trials leading into this campaign were good and if he can come on from the run he should be able to run these along and keep going. Hard race to bet into if you don’t like him.

R5- ZEPHYRA was ultra impressive on debut. She beat nothing but her sectionals were impressive enough to suggest she has future. Although drawn wide she was always going to find herself in the second half of the field, this just ensures she won’t get trapped on the fence and likely allows her to stalk her main danger. Trialled well in the soft and is another who looks suited getting to the vast expanses of Belmont.

R6- NOWHITEFLAG is a nice horse resuming. Can be a bit temperamental this looks a straight forward race for him. Drawn out so that he won’t cop any pressure to his outside around the Belmont 1000m where there is only one sweeping bend so that if he has to sit wide he isn’t doing too much. First up last prep he was one of the softest wins you’ll likely see and either side of things not going his way he won a Westspeed final race nicely too. Could blow these apart or could blow himself apart. You’ll know your fate after about 50m.

R7- Best Bet: THERE’S A CHANCE was a revelation for Nick Carapellotti last season in Kalgoorlie. In his five starts past a mile in Kal he won three races and was beaten a nose twice putting up some nice figures along the way. Resumed in a 70+ 1200 last start and was a super run when forced to take a sit and pick and sprint behind Magniforce. Ran the fastest 4-2 and 2-home splits to really get away from those back in field running second. Comes straight to the mile, looks the leader and gets Holly Watson on board. Lots to like if you trust the Kal form. (Save KORANIS and HIP WIGGLE)

R8- ELITE STREET returned with a nice win in the Northam stakes off a quiet trial. Beat a big chunk of this field in that race and did so at varying degrees of worse at the weights under SW&P. Most of the newcomers still shouldn’t worry him at 1200 and from barrier five he should be able to hold a position away from the fence without getting too far back. Think at his best he simply is the best sprinter in the state and if he can improve on the first up run looks like going one better in the Roma Cup.

R9- SECRET PLAN is an open class sprinter in a 66+. First up last prep in this grade he made a mess of a stronger field before contesting, and being competitive in, races behind Wilchino and Triple Missile. His recent trial was super behind Red Can Man who went super himself first up and despite being a get back sprinter with the apprentice on think he has the turn of foot to get himself out of trouble. There’s also plenty of speed engaged to further help him.

Comments

• TucoolTucool    156 posts
    Thank you.

thefalcon likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,741 posts
    edited May 2022
    Who is Train? Is it Thomas The Tip Engine? No matter winners or losers the time and effort is appreciated.

Now for Slip The Tip Engine :D

Selected a few at each way odds here (just for a change) :-B

R6 Blazing Billy will go well at odds
    R7 Baby Blues is an each way special
    R8 Kaptain Kaos has very good first up form. each way all day. Smart tip. Get Smart.. Kaos.
    R9 Solid Azza is a best bet. This horse has scope for great improvement.

Mikes27091, Chris likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Elite Street/Red Can Man likely run the quinella again in the feature.
    KK, well Lucy will need rockets to launch past these two and a few others like Valour Road or Amasenus who could fill a hole imo.

Bit earlier and aside from some shorties that should bankroll things, R5 i like Mosquito 3rd up should be ready to rock and roll.

My one at odds runs in R9 - Gunmetal Grey
    CJP could get the right run and be right in the finish.This mare has her fair share of ability as evidenced by her last 2 runs in listed company prior to spelling.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,218 posts
    Devoted a moral

Thunderstruck, meatpie likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    strong words, chris.... [-X

double digit is well weighted....so is guns of navarone....
    :-B
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Chris said:

Devoted a moral

And won Accordingly.  =D>

thefalcon, Thunderstruck, Tucool, Manchild likes this post.

toot toot...the clint and chris train just keeps on a goin'.....
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,246 posts
    M Grantham will be bobs no 1 trainer the way he’s started

Thunderstruck, Tucool, meatpie likes this post.

Great ride p Carbery zephyra.

meatpie likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,676 posts
    Hoping for another on Madam Kisses.

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Anyone got an idea of whats going on....Even the radio have no idea!!
  • spinkingspinking    3,738 posts
    Hopefully the barriers are in the wrong place again and no race get our money back
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    spinking said:

Hopefully the barriers are in the wrong place again and no race get our money back

hahahaha.....i'm hoping for a 2nd v 1st protest and second horse gets it!!!!

RIO dislikes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,235 posts
    Had a rare bet on the horses today, a $100 crack on a 4 leg multi at 28-1 on

Top of the Pops
    God Has Chosen
    The Velvet Queen
    Elite Street

The Velvet Queen was absolutely sickening to watch and reminds me to keep the hand in the pocket where the ponies are concerned

RIO, Uttsy likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,360 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

Top of the Pops
    God Has Chosen
    The Velvet Queen
    Elite Street

The Velvet Queen was absolutely sickening to watch and reminds me to keep the hand in the pocket where the ponies are concerned

Ouch !!
    ^^  [-X
  • UttsyUttsy    129 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

Top of the Pops
    God Has Chosen
    The Velvet Queen
    Elite Street

That sickening watch cost me a lazy 46k in multies... probably an unpopular opinion, but it was a relatively common watch from that jock.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Definite unpopular opinion
    I too was on it but it was always a slight concern jumping from that barrier but like I said to a few mates of mine she will lose more than she wins because of it’s racing pattern
    It’s always a good place bet though as it runs good splits and always into the money

Manchild, Tucool likes this post.

and it took that ride from Paddy to beat her. If he'd ridden any less positively... she wins it. 
    I dont think you should have an issue with Chris... you should have one with Paddy! 
    hash said:

I too was on it but it was always a slight concern jumping from that barrier but like I said to a few mates of mine she will lose more than she wins because of it’s racing pattern
    It’s always a good place bet though as it runs good splits and always into the money

Sat much handier previous start and was a good thing licked, plenty of opportunity to get her moving in that start but just happy to hold her. Decision just looks to be premeditated with a lot of those types of rides, maybe it's just the ones I'm backing.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    Uttsy said:

hash said:

Sat much handier previous start and was a good thing licked, plenty of opportunity to get her moving in that start but just happy to hold her. Decision just looks to be premeditated with a lot of those types of rides, maybe it's just the ones I'm backing.

Chris was drawn to the inside of Pat and jumped as well if not better than him. So I agree it is easy to look at it and go "he should have been the one pushing forward and controlling the race, possibly taking the site on Pat if he still did elect to go forward"

Also yes it was further forward in running.

Here's my BUT. It was further forward in the run last start because it lobbed there, no effort was put in to even hold that position. If you go back and have a look at its run prior to a spell on the 8th of Jan she was asked to hold a position and absolutely resented it racing with its head up and pulling.

So i would say 100% it is deliberate with this horse as they are trying to educate it but it isnt something that wasn't predictable.

Tivers, Manchild likes this post.

Gilgamesh said:

Uttsy said:

hash said:

Chris was drawn to the inside of Pat and jumped as well if not better than him. So I agree it is easy to look at it and go "he should have been the one pushing forward and controlling the race, possibly taking the site on Pat if he still did elect to go forward"

Also yes it was further forward in running.

Here's my BUT. It was further forward in the run last start because it lobbed there, no effort was put in to even hold that position. If you go back and have a look at its run prior to a spell on the 8th of Jan she was asked to hold a position and absolutely resented it racing with its head up and pulling.

So i would say 100% it is deliberate with this horse as they are trying to educate it but it isnt something that wasn't predictable.
    Oh yeah I wasn't saying he should've gone forward, don't think that's her go. But there's a difference between premediating coming out in the back half of the field and premediating being last. Mainly the decision making between the 6-800 where it was thought you'd get a cart into the race from Dash of Brandy. No effort to improve to the inside of that runner, just happy coming from dead last. War Gem improves and takes that spot in a blink of an eye. The argument is based around if the horse can sit on a higher tempo previous start, then surely it can do a bit more work from the 6-800 and still have a sprint. Alternatively on a horse like her, maybe three wide and last was a better option and not relying on a cart into it off an average runner?