G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 9 Non Members

Bunbury Wednesday

Harness & Greyhounds
I read on Sunday that the Bunbury day (morning) meetings are providing a "20% boost to turnover".  Ernie Manning I think it was, Sunday Times. Of course, it  is great news for the industry and a feather in the cap of the new business model which had KPI's of increased turnover, less odds on favourites, more competitive "like for like" racing, a greater retention of racing stock and more opportunities for horses across the board to remain competitive.

A quick check of the early races ....and they are pari-mutual figures only and obviously only part of the overall turnover figures....reveals pool sizes that are the lowest I can ever recall. The 10.14am start, which is patently absurd for any trainers having to travel from outside the immediate surrounds of Bunbury.......Perth based trainer in race 1 would have to be on the road at 7.00am minimum to be on course 1 hour before the first....appears to be too early for most punters. Those win pools are smaller than the old Non TAB pools of the 1970's when I was working for the NE Districts Council at Merredin, Wylie, Keller and Trayning.  And, in passing, with the early start, who is going to attend to the working of the trainers other horses back at home base? Win pools of under $2000 and place pools of less than $1000 are outrageously small and are way less than the recognised betting "blackhole" time slots of Saturday Night and Sunday Afternoon. So unless the corporates are holding absolutely huge amounts, the claim of a 20% boost are at least questionable based on today's figures.

Anyway, back to the numbers, they do have a bit of a spike after midday but are still nothing to get excited about. Now, 5 of the nine races were no 3rd dividend races, is that part of the reason? Early markets showed 9 odds on favourites but one drifted leaving just the 8. Is that part of the reason? Of the 9 races, 7 were won by slightly better than bank interest odds on pops, so the races were basically uncompetitive. Is that part of the reason?

Anyway, great to see the new model being so successful, hitting it's marks and delivering an exciting and marketable product. We are in very good hands.

Comments

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    Totes dead has been for years anyone with half a clue wouldn’t bet into a tote pool
  • JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Race 4 at Belmont today held more than the entire 9 races at Bunbury (and probably races 1 to 3 as well, haven't checked). So, the races tote pools seem to have some life in them, punters happy to invest in them ....$120k on Belmont race 4 ($40k in the win pool) plus $132k in the quaddie pool.....Bunbury race 1 total investment of less than $10k across all pools (win pool $2k) and $1,152 in the quaddie pool. So yes, harness tote pools are dead and cremated, no one bets on them but they are happy to bet on the gallops. Question is why? The NBM was meant to address these issues. It has clearly failed to do so.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Totes dead has been for years anyone with half a clue wouldn’t bet into a tote pool

Yes i agree with that - if your having a decent sized bet - you can never trust the tote - and you are crunching your own odds 

Only time i will put a tote bet ( and i normally put all my bets on Aust wide around lunchtime in one hit ) is if it is a smallish e/w bet - and it might be 20s fixed - but look it could blow out and [pay 50s or 60s on the tote

Or the other occasion - if you notice there is an abnormal amount in the win pool  - like at Bankstown a mth or 2 back - one race there was 10k in the win pool early - and one horse was $1.04 - so you know you are going to get overs in that situation on the tote

The conundrum for WA Harness racing - alot are whinging about all these short price faves - and some keep whinging about the handicapping - endlessly blaming that

However AHR - site on a weekly basis basis - use to put up all the big bets on TAB.Com - and the big punters love these short price faves - eg - like 16k on at $1.30 - one bet 

So who knows - with all these short price faves in WA Harness racing- the fixed odds turnover might be going through the roof

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    204 posts
    I reckon apologize can win today marko,the more you bet the more you get.
    JayJay said:

Race 4 at Belmont today held more than the entire 9 races at Bunbury (and probably races 1 to 3 as well, haven't checked). So, the races tote pools seem to have some life in them, punters happy to invest in them ....$120k on Belmont race 4 ($40k in the win pool) plus $132k in the quaddie pool.....Bunbury race 1 total investment of less than $10k across all pools (win pool $2k) and $1,152 in the quaddie pool. So yes, harness tote pools are dead and cremated, no one bets on them but they are happy to bet on the gallops. Question is why? The NBM was meant to address these issues. It has clearly failed to do so.

Not sure why so much hate for the handicapping system from a training and managing a stable point a view I find it brilliant
    And very good for you, I am delighted it is working in your favour......in the present.  But taking perhaps a slightly broader view of things, with the diminished horse population (fields of 6 and 7 everywhere, city and country and especially juvenile racing), with the associated decline in licensed personal (trainers, drivers, junior drivers all but non existent), with the constantly falling number of foalings, stallions, actively bred mares in the local industry, with the riverside mortuary atmosphere prevalent at headquarters each meeting,  with the almost total lack of public interest in the industry, with the declining proportional share of turnover, with race stakes at the gallops absolutely surging ahead by comparison, with the allocation currently enjoyed way above what it should be and likely to have the knife taken to it when the patience of the "subsidy" providers wears thin, with the sale of the TAB umbilical chord imminent, with the NZ industry at its lowest ebb in terms of foalings and exports, with fees for imported horses rising......and with rising levels of stakes and confidence in the Eastern States product and superior bonus breeding schemes.....whilst it is noted, they are united in using localised forms of NR whilst WA is the outrider with its own very superior system, with the ageing demographic of many of the leading lights, with the active push to further reduce the number of tracks and no sign of on course stabling anywhere for those wishing to avoid the ransom of real estate in establishing their own properties......yep, everything is fine and dandy, a buoyant vibrant future surely awaits us all.

curmudgeon, savethegame, Arapaho likes this post.

It’ll be right need some new young blood in there to make some changes to many old fossils calling the shots games evolved to far from their capabilities
    Look, I hope you are right, I really do. I have tried hard to take the NBM on board, I hated it to begin with, we argued long and strong for some changes, tweaks were made, I still hated it, then, well, it wasn't going away in a hurry, so lets try and work with it. Then I thought, maybe its the programming that is all wrong, there were horses marching out to the East hand over fist, fields were falling over. Then Covid arrived, RWWA to their credit kept it all rolling along against considerable odds and maybe not fair to make judgements when that was over shadowing everything. Then, relative normality returned but the patrons didn't, I hate it that GP is a ghost town, the on course experience is non existant, I can't get used to that. The promises of less odds on favourites has never been achieved, field sizes are dismal and todays awful meeting at Bunbury was just not acceptable. I still think the over preponderance of RBD is not a good thing but when they tried PBD L3, it lasted about 2 weeks before there was a mutiny. Programming is stagnant, stale, unchanged week in week out....as is the product. As I say, I hope you are right but I can't see much changing in the short term.....and as one of the afore- mentioned fossils, maybe it's time to just pack it in and take up scrabble.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Anyone that owned trained or  has Driven a winner at the G.M.T.C can thank the old fossils of the  day in 50s---- 20 odd that put  x amount of their own money to get the club going again when there was only two horses in the region.

JayJay, curmudgeon, Arapaho likes this post.

Reading this thread - the state of play WA Trots - and by the way - if i want to keep posting i will - i dont care if some call me a d/head - that is water on a ducks back to me - its just a Trots forum - that is the bottom line

However if i was the CEO  of GP - and taking on board Jay jay and VK - who both love GP - but are bemoaning the fact that no one goes anymore 

Ok - so know one is attending Frid - our main metro meeting - so the things i would try . Over EAST NSW VIC QLD SA - Saturday night is their big night . So why not give a trial run for Sat night  for GP meetings . 
    Some how my last post got posted - before id finished

Advantages of Sat GP - promote heavily the fact WA City gallops and Trots are on the 1 day Sat . Id have the 1st race at GP about 7-8 minutes after the last race at Ascot/Belmont - so gallops punters in TAB outlets have got City WA Trots to bet into . You could have a combined entry ticket which gave you admission to both the races and Trots . In winter youve got football accross the road - afternoon matches finish around 6-30 - you can get patrons who dont want to go home then - they want some other form of entertainment - well City class Trots are across the road - promote that aspect - tell people about that option

Ithink Sat night which is in every other state the big trotting night  of the week is worth a trial run for WA - you have got nothing to lose because no one is attending on a Friday night 

Iam highly critical of the current mob in charge of GP - because they dont try anything to improve things 

jum likes this post.

We can’t get on sky on a Saturday night hence why our Saturday meeting usually plays on Sky2 and has terrible turnover
  • jumjum    3,512 posts

We can’t get on sky on a Saturday night hence why our Saturday meeting usually plays on Sky2 and has terrible turnover

how many of our Friday night races are pushed to Sky 2. Well the earlier ones especially.

Anyone that owned trained or  has Driven a winner at the G.M.T.C can thank the old fossils of the  day in 50s---- 20 odd that put  x amount of their own money to get the club going again when there was only two horses in the region.

Found article in book Called Goldfields Sport----IN 1989 The club was the highest  stake-paying country trotting club in Australia. It paid out in excess of 300,000 in stakes over 21 race meetings. This compared with stakes of 3,300 in 1955.
    STG, for some unknown reason....I can't remember why...but ages ago, I compiled some data on stakes paid, numbers of meetings etc and compared all WA Country Clubs with a selection of Easrtern States Country or Provincial Clubs for the 1983/84 season. Below is the list based on average stakes paid per meeting:

1. Bunbury 20 meetings @$13,940
    2. Pinjarra 22 meetings @ $10,834
    3. Kalgoorlie 14 meetings @ $10,160
    4. Harvey 12 meetings @ $10,008
    5. Northam 20 meetings @ $9,652
    6. York 15 meetings @ $9,516
    7. Kellerberrin 6 meetings @ $8,991
    8. Busselton 6 meetings @ $8,750
    9. Narrogin 8 meetings @ $8,650
    10. Wagin 12 meetings @ $8,508
    11. Collie 4 meetings @ $7.300
    12. Williams 7 meetings @ $7,014
    13. Katanning 5 meetings @ $5,960
    14. Merredin 9 meetings @ $5,833
    15. Wyalkatchem 5 meetings @ $5,640
    16. Trayning 4 meetings @$5,400
    17. Bridgetown 10 meetings @ $5,220
    18. Albany 10 meetings @ $4,170

This data does not differentiate between TAB/Non TAB meetings or number of races run, it is just raw average data based on total stakes paid divided by the number of race meetings conducted. However, it does give an insight into what was happening at the 18....yes 18.... clubs in operation  in provincial WA.

By comparison, some of the Eastern States data:

Cranbourne 14 meetings @ $19,664
    Bendigo 19 meetings @ $16,673
    Mildura 18 meetings $14,211
    Penrith 23 meetings @ $13,373
    Gawler 31 meetings @ $7,842
    Port Pirie 16 meetings @ $4,259
    Cairns 52 meetings @ $2,216

Maybe of interest to some, you could draw all sorts of conclusions about the success or failure of the direction the administrators have taken the industry but one thing very obvious, racing a horse in Cairns in 1984 was not a very lucrative proposition, Cane Smoke country.
    edited June 2022
    Why Kalgoorlie went huge was the fact it was called stakes to race---when we held two-up after meetings the money was put into stakes so at the end of the financial year if your stakes total was 250k you would be matched dollar for dollar from the Tab. to start the next season with 250k then during the year we added the earnings from twoup-so Kalgoorlie was growing at alarming rate---which upset . quite a few of the country clubs & we were making rapid ground on Richmond Raceway stakes

So the powers  to be changed the fomat then stewards would bring a cheque for 14k,for seven races and made Kalgoorlie a 'b' class track----at 2k. a race -- then we had to try and top up.when for memory we had some races already at 3,500. another 12 months we would have been nearly racing for same as richmond raceway..---1989.----Have v.hs copy of the president going crook on gwn news

curmudgeon likes this post.

No doubt the balance wasn't right regards the Tab supporting---- Non -Tab meetings.Thinking back not sure but Tab machines would come by truck  setup.- think there  was a machine for every number those problems are a  million miles away just close you down.now.-- 
    Yes, I recall the "dollar for dollar" days when on the Northam Committee.....any "external" money you could put into stakes got the stakes payout from TAB a nice boost. The "machines" may have gone by truck to Kal but we had machines based in Northam and they went by an ageing HR Holden Station Wagon to Trayning, Wylie etc. I used to work for NEDTC who had responsibility for running the non TAB totes, a percentage of which went directly back to the club. But as you say, ancient history, simplest solution evolved int mass shutdown under the guise of "rationalisation" .....and still that theme continues. Wait until there are only 3 or 4 tracks operating.

savethegame, curmudgeon likes this post.

What i wasn't aware of W.A. had tracks at  Bruce Rock, Corrigin, Quairading-- before Bunbury was even.formed.
    Jay-Jay did  Manjimup  hold their own meetings or had them  at Bridgetown?
    & what did the  K.T.Y Trayning stand for?
    edited June 2022
    There were tracks everywhere STG. Manjimup raced at the Recreation Ground  (now the home of the Manjimup Imperials Footy Club) in the centre of town from 1929. Lights were installed in 1935 to become just the second country club to race under lights (Kalgoorlie preceded them). There was a great hullabaloo for the first night meeting December 21st 1935 with the Premier James Mitchell in attendance and special trophies worth 25 pounds for the main race. It is a well documented meeting. The track was 550 yards and remnants of it remain today around the outside of the footy oval. Racing ceased in 1949. Other tracks in recent memory were at Dumbleyoung and Goomalling (I attended both, Goomalling as a very young lad). Others in addition to the ones you named above include Nungarin, Woodanilling, Donnybrook......in fact any town on a rail spur as the horses often went by train from town to town with meetings coinciding with the local Show. There were also numerous country "circuits" which leading metro trainers would patronise.....the fore runner of the now dead concept of race rounds with two or three meetings at a track before loading up and heading to the next town, sometimes doing a "loop" especially through the wheatbelt.

KTY stood for Kunnonoppin, Trayning and Yelbini, all of which had tracks. In the 1960's and 70's, Yelbini was only a wheat bin, a small store and an infamous Shire Traffic Inspector, who would hide behind the wheat bin and pinch Industry participants en route to the Trayning Trots. For some unfathomable reason, the speed limit through Yelbini was 70 km/hr and the humourless said officer, reveling in his power,  salivated if you were 1 km over or maybe had a float light not working.

The "modern" edition of the Bunbury Trotting Club formed in 1950 but there were previous incarnations, with Bunbury being the 5th country club to race under lights in 1936.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

Whoops, slight mistake on Manjimup's first night meeting. It wasn't James Mitchell who was present but someone who thought himself far more important, none other than President of the WATA J.P Stratton who donated the Anniversary Cup.

Some notes from the meeting...85 nominations (GP would be envious), 1000 patrons in attendance (GP would be more envious), gate receipts were over 100 pounds. The lighting was installed by the Manjimup Road Board under the direction of electrical engineer Mr J.H James, it was adjudged "entirely satisfactory" by the reinsmen, the chief steward Mr J.Comer remarked that it compared favourably with that of Kalgoorlie and the track was in good order, as exemplified by Lady Kola running 2.26 in winning "The Electric Mile" from 25 yards behind for Mr A Coverly of Bridgetown. Nutmeg won teh Anniverasary Cup for W.A.Anthony. The stewards were "alert" and inquired into why a horse attendant ran onto the course to shout advice to a driver in the course of a race (caution given), the driver of Fair Antique who after a 2 length 2nd placing in Race 1 was successful by 60 yards in race 3 for Mr W.A. Anthony (explanation accepted) and a broken head check Alto Boy (harness was in good condition). The totalisator investments in the place pool were a record with Queen Dudley 3rd in the Cup returning 3 pounds 10 shillings for each of the eight tickets taken on her. It was also noted that in race 2, Imperial Boy was unable to make ground from his 185 yard handicap. The night time event was favourably received by many farmers who previously had been unable to attend due to milking duties in the afternoon.

curmudgeon, savethegame likes this post.

Ive posted this before - but Victoria were quite fortunate - when Denis Napthine  became Premier - because he was from a country town - and he said racing and trotting were part of the fabric of the town etc - so when he got in power he opened a heap of Trots and gallops tracks that had been closed 

And Napthine didnt muck around - i can remember Robbie Waterhouse who was all good and fielding again in NSW - but still a bit of a controversial character - but Napthine invited Robbie to field at the big Spring Carnival - that caused a bit of friction that - but it showed that Napthine had a real interest in racing 

You look at all the tracks that have closed in WA - i think the big problem for WA Harness - and im not having a go at John Burt - he was the 800 grand supremo that oversaw and was in charge of all 3 codes - and i can remember when he closed Kalgoorlie - i listened to him giving the reasons - pretty lame duck - and i didnt like it  one bit - and no one was prepared to grill him on it - that wasnt coming from a Trotting person - no way 

What WA Trotting desperately needs is its own CEO - he oversees everything - GP is just like any other club - they all report to this CEO who is in charge of everything - preparing the Profit and Loss Statement - the Balance Sheet - all the financials - plus the3-5 year business plans going forward - just like the NSW and Vic counterparts do - and all that info is made publicly available 

If you had a WA Harness stand alone very competent CEO - and a Trotting lover - then he or she would look at all those country tracks that had closed - and say - look all those towns have an annual agricultural show - can we run a couple of Trotting races at those country shows . But under the one structure model  no one can be bothered doing that 

I mean even in Tasmania - they have a couple of meetings per year at King Island - an Island in the middle of nowhere - theve got to boat the horses over their - but they combine it with a big food/cheese/wine festival - but no one in WA can be bothered doing that for Trotting 

As ive mentioned previously - Peter Morris ( of Young Mister Charles fame - and Robbies father ) he gave the NSW Trotting administrators a legendary spray - what actually happened - he got 6 months - and he lodged his appeal documents in writing ( pre internet ) and they acknowledged they received them - then they lost them in their office - so they were at fault - and did he give it to them - he basically said - word for word - look alot of Trotting Administrators are very good at clocking on at 9am - clocking off at 5pm - and picking up their wages - and thats all their good at 

And WA has got that feel about  it - there is no one driving it with a passion . WA  Harness ( and im entitled to my opinion and i couldnt give a rats aarse what other forum posters think ) is basically just set up for the rich boys with their toys - bring in ready made NZ Imports - and thats about it - there is basically no breeding industry - i mean you look at QLD - Sat night - little old Redcliffe had a 103k final - for Aust bred 2 yr olds sold at the Redcliffe yearling sale - WA has got nothing like that -  all it has got is boat load after boat  load of NZ imports

JayJay, savethegame, freodockers, sonny likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    Richard Burt not John Burt. John Burt is the President of GPHR.
    Hit the nail on the head Chariots. The administration of Harness Racing engenders zero confidence....I currently have my own "lost documents" saga unfolding with my license renewal documents, lodged and paid for on February 21st, 2021, nowhere to be found, a second set completed 3 weeks ago and still no acknowledgement of license status. And a further saga of "misplaced"  DNA  and microchip data for a recent foal, which is now finally resolved, took multiple emails, phone calls and hours of my time.  There seems a single mindedness to persist with current policies and programming and no desire to alter the current model and it is taking the industry nowhere. But the purple circle has immense power and won't be giving up on their favoured situation in a hurry. They are very happy for the status quo to be maintained and have self appointed mouthpieces all lined up to continue to push their barrow and denigrate alternative views. The nonsense of 7 or 8 out out of 10 races falling to bank interest favourites each meeting is a death spiral for the industry.
    And the rumours of agitation for further track
    "rationalisation" should be sending shivers down the spines of many
    country venues and the diminishing pool of participants.

As
    far as your CEO concept goes, and all clubs reporting to a CEO, totally
    support but unfortunately, there is a prevailing view the GP is much
    more than "just another club", that it's influence on the overall
    product is far greater than it should be in terms of, amongst other
    things, programming etc etc. And getting information made public as you
    suggest on things like turnover and the like is currently mission
    impossible. And by public, I mean access all areas, not to just some
    small group of privileged recipients. The defense that it deserves such
    influence because of turnover from the track is I suspect more related
    to timeslot and racing dates, it certainly doesn't stem from on course
    attendance or being the show piece of harness racing.

As
    a venue, GP has already disappeared into the vortex death spiral, the
    "race night experience" is funereal and I doubt that charging owners $50
    for an "Appreciation Night" will turn the tide.
    JayJay said:

Hit the nail on the head Chariots.

Of course apologies Marko, hit the nail on the head Marko.
    Another old book  W.A.T.B.A---Trotting Register  1949--1950. has every results  from every track in western australia , plus every horse that started at G.P. for the season.

The query regards Manjimup was based on 28/1/1950 they held a meeting at Bridgetown--25/2/1950 meeting just says Manjimup.---It stated Collie and the newly formed Bunbury Club hope to race on their  own courses. J.J. I appreciate the clarification 

G.P. Had 44 meetings---Richmond Raceway had-- 12 meetings. The season started 13th August  at G.P. -----Final meeting of the season was at Richmond raceway 15 July 1950.

Then Country Harness started 3rd August 1949 ---82 meetings across  the state  8 Aug 1950. at Kalg.was the final meet for Country 1950.

Christmas period was busy at G.P. with meetings on  24th--26th--28th-- 31st dec.---- 2nd jan -- 7th Jan.

No ducks and Drakes in Christmas Hcp. 12 divisons all 12 winners into final. --Final was won by Royal Shadow  Max Johnson----- Also was leading driver in the state 51/52. he drove winners for  over 6 decades.
    The individual Trotting Registers of every state were eventually combined leading to the Australian Trotting Year Books being produced, the first edition of which covered the 1960/1961 season. I have a copy of it, albeit old and battered (like the owner)  but complete. I have been trying for years to complete my collection (I have most of them up to 1984).

Have recently acquired the 1969 edition and the 1970 edition is on its way to me via post from the USA where I tracked it down in an Historical Bookshop for US $20 bucks. The 1967 edition is apparently almost non existent but I live in hope.

I did a historical piece for the Trots WA Magazine ("When The Boat Comes In") some time back on the 1950/51 carnival which featured the mighty Single Direct who won the Cup defeating defending champ Royal Shadow for a 5,000 pound purse. The Christmas Handicap was also run over 12 heats, winners only to the final, and was won by Beaudale (Ron Porter) who claimed Super Junior ( a youthful Laurie Robinson) in the shadows of the post with Willack and Avon King flying home for 3rd and 4th. Max drove Red Sol in the final off a handicap of 72 yards.
  • Mikes27091Mikes27091    158 posts
    JayJay said:

And the rumours of agitation for further track
    "rationalisation" should be sending shivers down the spines of many
    country venues and the diminishing pool of participants.

As
    far as your CEO concept goes, and all clubs reporting to a CEO, totally
    support but unfortunately, there is a prevailing view the GP is much
    more than "just another club", that it's influence on the overall
    product is far greater than it should be in terms of, amongst other
    things, programming etc etc. And getting information made public as you
    suggest on things like turnover and the like is currently mission
    impossible. And by public, I mean access all areas, not to just some
    small group of privileged recipients. The defense that it deserves such
    influence because of turnover from the track is I suspect more related
    to timeslot and racing dates, it certainly doesn't stem from on course
    attendance or being the show piece of harness racing.

As
    a venue, GP has already disappeared into the vortex death spiral, the
    "race night experience" is funereal and I doubt that charging owners $50
    for an "Appreciation Night" will turn the tide.

Sorry I don't know if  I am speaking out of turn , but I am t not from a background of a trainer or owner just a really huge supporter and I am starting to dip my toes into ownership , with the GP track I do agree it has a lost a lot of energy even over the 5- 7 years and I come from a non horse background from my family and I feel I am a lone wolf in my age category , because unless your involved I don't see anybody in my age bracket really even know what Totters or Pacers are.

Arapaho, freodockers, JayJay likes this post.

Not speaking out of turn at all Mike, "lost a lot of energy" may be one of the great understatements of all time. Lost a lot of patrons in the same time period and probably before that as well.

All GP Members sent an email this afternoon advising of an article in tomorrows paper re the future of Gloucester Park, along with an attachment concerning redevelopment/revitalisation concept  plans in conjunction with Heritage retention specialists Hesperia. It sort of reads like a long term mission statement, nothing specific, with retention of racing at the venue. Residential development onsite a possible source of funds for redevelopment. Turnover on GP meetings put forward as to why racing should be retained there. Members assured they will be fully consulted etc, the usual type of corporate reassurance. Be interesting to see what the article says as the pre -emptive email from Radley is a bit unusual though probably not unprecedented.

Mikes27091 likes this post.