Race 11 : Indomitable Symbol

cisco, VillageKid likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Prec Lady
    H Larson
    H O Perseus

cisco likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    That was possibly the most ridiculous race ever contested at GP under the current conditioned racing system. Whilst delighted to see Lavra go around, how can nonsense like this be justified?

L5$ LT $25,000. 3YO and older. L5$ LT $25,000 (CONCESSIONS L5$ LT $27,500)
    NE Horses with Max Start Level 15+ Last 5 Starts NE Horses with Max Win Level 12+ Last 5 Starts
    AE Horses that have been Preferred Eligible Acceptors, other than Late
    Nominations, for the Conditioned Pace (RL14) at THIS meeting and who
    have not gained a start at this meeting.

Preference to HWOE $40,000+(RL12) (Concessions for Novice Driver,Fillies & Mares)
    DIV.1. RBD.

Their actual dollars last 5 are  Lavra Joe $67k and Typhoon Banner 57k respectively.
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    841 posts
    JayJay said:

That was possibly the most ridiculous race ever contested at GP under the current conditioned racing system. Whilst delighted to see Lavra go around, how can nonsense like this be justified?

L5$ LT $25,000. 3YO and older. L5$ LT $25,000 (CONCESSIONS L5$ LT $27,500)
    NE Horses with Max Start Level 15+ Last 5 Starts NE Horses with Max Win Level 12+ Last 5 Starts
    AE Horses that have been Preferred Eligible Acceptors, other than Late
    Nominations, for the Conditioned Pace (RL14) at THIS meeting and who
    have not gained a start at this meeting.

Preference to HWOE $40,000+(RL12) (Concessions for Novice Driver,Fillies & Mares)
    DIV.1. RBD.

Their actual dollars last 5 are  Lavra Joe $67k and Typhoon Banner 57k respectively.

Yep surely after that spectacle they’ll realise that it’s a ridiculous clause and it needs to be scrapped
    Don't hold your breath. Garbage racing.
    edited July 2022
    The "good news" is that if the Conditioned Pace falls over aging next week, as it frequently does, then Lavra  (and Typhoon) can go around in exactly the same race next week against the same horses and he has the same chance to draw gate 1 again. Indefensible nonsense.

And we may have another 6 horse FFA of follow the leader rating 2.2.3. Yep, no typo, 2.2.3, Miss Limelight in the mares FFA went 1.55.3. No wonder the crowds are flocking into GP.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,829 posts
    GP is not the only place struggling. The above image from the Rails Betting Ring at Flemington today.

freodockers likes this post.

Crowds are a thing of the past the world has moved on there’s to much convenience/comfort at home now, it’s a digital world can’t ever see anything bringing crowds back

PackedMetalPanda, Pinballwizard likes this post.

Then get over the emotional attachment to GP.
    It’s a lemon.
    Why? The track and racing is the best in Aus whether I’m there or watching from home on the couch my opinion doesn’t change
    Oh Rocket, honestly, I've been going for nearly 60 years and if that was the best racing in Australia last night, then the sport is in bigger strife than I imagined. One night is not a valid sample but I reckon 5 of the races were paid trackwork, not even close to a contest. 2.2.3 in a 6 horse FFA with million dollar earners engaged, 32.7 quarter,  that ridiculous L5 25 race, the most exciting part of race 9 when Ronald Scott broke. On this, I respectfully disagree as the pattern of late has been very similar.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

JayJay said:

Oh Rocket, honestly, I've been going for nearly 60 years and if that was the best racing in Australia last night, then the sport is in bigger strife than I imagined. One night is not a valid sample but I reckon 5 of the races were paid trackwork, not even close to a contest. 2.2.3 in a 6 horse FFA with million dollar earners engaged, 32.7 quarter,  that ridiculous L5 25 race, the most exciting part of race 9 when Ronald Scott broke. On this, I respectfully disagree as the pattern of late has been very similar.

Yeah that’s harness racing for ya you can put it on a 5000m track and you’ll still get predictable races where the winner is determined by draw and the rest drive conservatively to maximise earnings
    Yes, well I can't argue the barrier draw bit...I may have one in next Friday. My old man always told me (Tongue In Cheek)..."You can't rail against City Hall and expect a good barrier", so I better shut up but the draw will determine whether I make the 8 hour round trip, no question there.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    The main race was the the Royal Force pace - one of my all time favourite pacers - did it win a miracle mile i cant recall - it had great point to point speed

Wouldnt mind someone putting up a video of Royal Force in one of its best wins 

As for GP - and Rocket we know you love backing your short price favourites 

But fair dinkum - quote " The track and racing is the best in Aust " utter 1000% craap - it is one dimensional craap - boy do i have to quote Vinnie Knight again !!!

Please dont shove down our throats that GP is the best racing in Aust - oh man please - it is GGGGAAAARRRRBBBBAAAAGGGGGGEEEE 

LightningJake likes this post.

Markovina said:

The main race was the the Royal Force pace - one of my all time favourite pacers - did it win a miracle mile i cant recall - it had great point to point speed

Wouldnt mind someone putting up a video of Royal Force in one of its best wins 

As for GP - and Rocket we know you love backing your short price favourites 

But fair dinkum - quote " The track and racing is the best in Aust " utter 1000% craap - it is one dimensional craap - boy do i have to quote Vinnie Knight again !!!

Please dont shove down our throats that GP is the best racing in Aust - oh man please - it is GGGGAAAARRRRBBBBAAAAGGGGGGEEEE 

Not sure why you tune in then when I dislike something I just don’t watch it let alone participate in forums about it
    The following comment from a Sydney enthusiast - each to his own Marko.

That Will be disappointing if we get another carbon copy 1000m track at Penrith due to the move.

The small track makes for entertaining racing and some versatility compared to other venues in the state.

Penrith has always been my favourite track it’s sad to see it go.
    #Trots

Will be disappointing if we get another carbon copy 1000m  

track at Penrith due to the move. The small track makes for  

entertaining racing and some versatility compared to other 

venues in the state. Penrith has always been my favourite 

track it’s sad to see it go. #Trots 

the above from a NSW enthusiast - each to his own Marko.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,718 posts
    100% small tracks produce great racing but not when you have "like for like" racing with random barriers, or as JayJay has pointed out alleged like for like racing except horses who are far beyond the class can Bradbury there way in and then draw one two.

Handicap the racing and utilise the small track to its fullest advantage or keep having races where 90% of the field think they are no chance because of the draw, so we have "racing" where nothing happens.  
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    Bulli had great racing . 700 odd circum. and around 140m straight (from memory ) 
  • jumjum    3,512 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited July 2022
    Gilgamesh said:

100% small tracks produce great racing but not when you have "like for like" racing with random barriers, or as JayJay has pointed out alleged like for like racing except horses who are far beyond the class can Bradbury there way in and then draw one two.

Handicap the racing and utilise the small track to its fullest advantage or keep having races where 90% of the field think they are no chance because of the draw, so we have "racing" where nothing happens.  
    Im a few Reds in .  :\"> . So please don't knock me here.
    But imagine if GP on a Friday night had Fields like Busso, Collie and Bridgetown has on a Sunday in Summer. Stands for most of the races and a few mobiles. Just once or twice a year. 
    And your horse must be AUS bred (stops bond and hall having trials for there horses). Also forget the clock. ????????????. Just ENJOY the racing. 
    And on those weekends. Send the metro class to Pinjarra on a Saturday night.
    I haven't been to GP on a Friday night in 3 years, because I was actually sick of watching $1.40 pops win most races. 

IMO. I reckon turnover would be higher. 
    I for one would return to punting on a Friday night.
    I prefer to punt on 800 mtr tracks but not GP.
    The class of horse that go there can run sub 57 halves, go to the front and on most occasions that’s the end of it. Whereas the bush Northam, Narrogin etc they will come from anywhere in the field.
    The 3 hardest tracks to get a decent return are GP, Pinjarra and Bunbury our major tracks.
    Yet I would guess they provide the highest turnover (Bunbury probably not lately). More than likely due to location, field sizes and time slots.
    On the above discussions WA pacing has it arse about GP should be racing at Pinjarra and all country racing should be on 800 mtr tracks.
    If you look at GP long term it’s a dead duck, it’s 150 kms from our biggest horse population and nobody wants to travel into the city anymore.
    Long term the price of fuel is going to be a major factor in travelling to and from GP twice a week.
    Set up a decent training establishment in the SW sell GP and put the money back into the industry, long term returns.
    I don’t care who owns GP it’s not their money, it belongs to the people, owners, trainers, breeders that has supported it for the past 100 years.
    Just my opinion.

curmudgeon, LightningJake likes this post.

edited July 2022
    jum said:

Gilgamesh said:

But imagine if GP on a Friday night had Fields like Busso, Collie and Bridgetown has on a Sunday in Summer. Stands for most of the races and a few mobiles. Just once or twice a year. 
    And your horse must be AUS bred (stops bond and hall having trials for there horses). Also forget the clock. ????????????. Just ENJOY the racing. 
    I haven't been to GP on a Friday night in 3 years, because I was actually sick of watching $1.40 pops win most races. 

jum said:

Gilgamesh said:

I know I would be there. I'm in a similar boat mate, caught up with some mates I use to go with regularly last week. They dropped off attending after the David Hercules Pacing Cup. I kept going but the last couple of years it would be less than a handful of meetings a year. Contrary to popular beliefs on here it's not because it's more comfortable and easier to watch from home, it's because the racing offers little to nothing in terms of entertainment value.

Those involved need to realise that they are actually in the entertainment game, no idea of the stats but I'd hazard a guess that 90% of punter out there are losers. So if you aren't going to be making money on it what do you get out of it??? Those 10% of winners also need to understand that they need those losers to keep punting to keep the game afloat.

Personally I might have a bet every few weeks now on GP if I'm at the pub.

I think the WA harness product is something you really need to be heavily involved in like chariots and rocket to make a profit on the punt, really need to understand the intricacies of the stables/drivers/have the time to sit on twitter to get pre race tactics. I know Chariots has said it's not boring if you're winning but i can't agree with that, personally I don't have the time to watch so many races which dont give you a true gauge of a horses ability because they are walk sprint affairs.

Where as I can sit down and do a couple of hours work a week on the gallops, have some action on almost every local race on a sat and eek out a small profit.

Gilgamesh said:

jum said:

Gilgamesh said:

jum said:

Gilgamesh said:

I know I would be there. I'm in a similar boat mate, caught up with some mates I use to go with regularly last week. They dropped off attending after the David Hercules Pacing Cup. I kept going but the last couple of years it would be less than a handful of meetings a year. Contrary to popular beliefs on here it's not because it's more comfortable and easier to watch from home, it's because the racing offers little to nothing in terms of entertainment value.

Those involved need to realise that they are actually in the entertainment game, no idea of the stats but I'd hazard a guess that 90% of punter out there are losers. So if you aren't going to be making money on it what do you get out of it??? Those 10% of winners also need to understand that they need those losers to keep punting to keep the game afloat.

I think the WA harness product is something you really need to be heavily involved in like chariots and rocket to make a profit on the punt, really need to understand the intricacies of the stables/drivers/have the time to sit on twitter to get pre race tactics. I know Chariots has said it's not boring if you're winning but i can't agree with that, personally I don't have the time to watch so many races which dont give you a true gauge of a horses ability because they are walk sprint affairs.

Where as I can sit down and do a couple of hours work a week on the gallops, have some action on almost every local race on a sat and eek out a small profit.

That’s fair enough that you don’t go because you don’t enjoy the racing but are you getting down to Pinjarra and Bunbury often to enjoy the racing on a larger track?

Gilgamesh said:

jum said:

Gilgamesh said:

jum said:

Gilgamesh said:

That’s fair enough that you don’t go because you don’t enjoy the racing but are you getting down to Pinjarra and Bunbury often to enjoy the racing on a larger track?
    Nah mate you're right I dont. 

I have called for a change in track at GP but its only based on the current handicapping/field selection (call it what you will) model. That isn't going anywhere so just looking to change something but you are right a larger track would likely have little impact. Im far more likely to attend the smallest track going over the summer period than anywhere to be honest.

It wasn't that long ago that I could head along to a midweek meet and not even have a bet just enjoy the tactical battle, I just miss the contest. Not saying its easy to win a race but far too many look like glorified track work.

If you can do something to get it up to more like 70% contest 30% prescript copy and paste type racing rather than the other way around as it is at the moment I think people would be surprised how many followers come out of the woodwork.
  • PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    Let’s do all the racing at Busselton

freodockers, jum likes this post.

Atmosphere, crowds 10 times the size of GP,  competitive racing, handicapping, pony trots, good racecaller, even better donuts...yep, sounds like a plan lol.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts

Will be disappointing if we get another carbon copy 1000m  

track at Penrith due to the move. The small track makes for  

entertaining racing and some versatility compared to other 

venues in the state. Penrith has always been my favourite 

track it’s sad to see it go. #Trots 

the above from a NSW enthusiast - each to his own Marko.

Its good to have a bit of  robust discussion about harness racing  

A couple of posters have mentioned Penrith and Bulli  harness tracks - and i think with some tracks - there like former footballers - they somehow get better - or thought of more fondly when retired 

Been to both Penrith and Bulli and wasnt a fan of either 

Bulli used to hold a traditional night meeting -  i think New Years eve - i went once by train ( that was the best part ) very picturesque trip - on the south coast - youve got the Ocean out one side of the window - and the National Park on the other side - but the track was no good at all - tiny little goat track 

Penrith is a carbon copy of GP - virtually impossible to make ground from back in the ground - they are coming home in 56 seconds on a 800 metre track - you have got no chance

Im a big fan of Albion Park - it is a brilliant 1000 metre - very fair track - now last Frid and Sat night - they had meetings - plus on the Sat night - there was a metropolitan meeting at Shepparton - now i watched and bet on those races -so there was about 24 races- and at the end i looked up the results - only 6 leaders won - whats that 25% - so the lead isnt everything - plenty of double figure odds winners - and best of all  only 2 of those winners - were odds on - contrast that to WA - the lead is everything - because it is a half mile track - and there is a saturation of very short odds on faves winning

Race 3 Frid night at AP ( and im not talking out of my pocket ) is a typical AP race and a great trotting race - 3 of them have a real go for  the lead - then whens that sort of settles - another one hooks out for the lead and gets it - and then the winner Black Hawk Joe comes from last sustains a big run out wide - and just holds off another horse pelting home

Now that is super competitive - excitement plus harness racing at its brilliant best - it would be good -if someone could put that race up ( i dont know how ) on this thread - and then you can then compare it - to the absolute non competitive rubbish we get at GP - horses absolutely gifted the lead at the start - crawl around in 62 - dash home in 56 - rinse and repeat

And im allowed to comment on WA Harness - it use to be super exciting - people like myself enjoyed it - but today it is just boring rubbish - totally hindered by an obsolete 800 metre tack

LightningJake likes this post.

Let’s do all the racing at Busselton

Or we just make all racing at GP stands
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    I dont think that many drivers know how to get horses away.  They are moving starts not stands now..

Gilgamesh, savethegame likes this post.