G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 11 Non Members
JezabeelJezabeel    22 posts
Well done to Western Jewel in the Perth Cup, great win.

Can she be good enough or at least be competitive enough to do what past WA champs Northerly: Caulfield Cup or Cox Plate and Rogan Josh: Melbourne Cup.

How far can Western Jewel go? Is 2400m her max or can she run 3200m

Jezabeel.

Comments

• PCPC    2,205 posts
    G'day Jezabeel,

Western Jewel is by 1994 Melbourne Cup winner Jeune so 3200m - she might run it but I guess at this stage its an unknown if she can run the 3200m.

2400m might be the furtherest she can go.

Not sure if the owners have talked about an eastern states campaign, we may find out in the coming months I guess.

She didnt beat much in the Perth Cup but I guess you can only beat what's out there on the track.

She would need to take her form she showed in the Perth Cup and A.T.A and much more if she is to do well in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.

Maybe she might be suited at 2000m? Who knows...

Even if she doesnt aim for those two races but runs in minor Group races like the Herbert Power Stakes, Moonee Valley Cup or Sandown Classic - she would be really competitive in those races.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Cheers,
    PC.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    THE WAY SHE WON TODAY (JUST) SHE'D GO 4 MILES..
    sorry for the caps
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    said:

THE WAY SHE WON TODAY (JUST) SHE'D GO 4 MILES..
    sorry for the caps

No worries about the caps. You sound excited mate.

Do you reckon she might head east for a spring carnival campaign?

What do you think the owners will do with her.

What races do you think she'd target. She maybee brilliant at middle distance races such as the Cox Plate or Mackinnon Stakes.

You know what - even the Doomben Cup would suit her I reckon.

Cheers,
    PC.
    hi pc, it was a great win. she will obviously have a rest now and could possibly be lost to wa. they could spell her and then send he straight to melbourne or keep her here for a few runs during the autumn..i think there are a couple of wfa races..unsuitable distances but they would keep her up to the mark without flattening her.
    then off to vic..a nice long spell munching on the lush winter grass and then attack the spring. without aiming too high, there are a plethora of mares races and great second tier staying races. if she comes up to the mark..aim higher.
    i only hope rjp does not opt for an el cheapo trainer, she certainly deserves the best.
  • VorgtrafficVorgtraffic    1,755 posts
    Agree completely falcon. Dont send her to dean binaisse or whatever
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    I agree Falcon. Also there have been many other Perth Cup winners head east and not be good enough or other reasons which have stopped them from doing well over there.

Western Jewel deserves her chance to compete in the east and im sure all of us wish her well. I know I do.

If the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups are not on the agenda for her, even a minor staying race would be good for her. She certainly has talent thats for sure.

Maybe JB Cummings should be her trainer?? :D

Cheers,
    PC.
    I'd give her to kav. Flemington home track (which i would imagine would suit her best) and can train!

Also has a good record improving horses from other stables.
    doesn't need much improvement, vorg but admit he could fine tune her plus he is a whizz with stayers...BUT, he'd charge more than 50 a day.. :wink:
    wonder if bob reads this forum?
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    said:

doesn't need much improvement, vorg but admit he could fine tune her plus he is a whizz with stayers...BUT, he'd charge more than 50 a day.. :wink:
    wonder if bob reads this forum?

Kav is a wizz with stayers........but Bart's better.

Cheers,
    PC.
    i hear that Bart is not travelling too well healthwise.
  • not many stand up at Kavs
  • AndrewCarterAndrewCarter    2,171 posts
    Not too many improve on Grant Williams either, I think your vastly under estimating the job he and Alana have done since he got an opportunity in the thoroughbred ranks.

Dean Binaiise is not a bad young trainer either, it wasn't his fault the horse never settled in over there and was off her feed for much of the time she was over there which put them behind the eightball right from the start.
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    said:

i hear that Bart is not travelling too well healthwise.

Whats the latest on Bart?? Those chest problems again??

Cheers,
    PC.
    possibly that and just old age.
    what a legend.
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    said:

possibly that and just old age.
    what a legend.

Let's hope he gets better. He's as tough as nails too.

Cheers,
    PC.
    said:

Not too many improve on Grant Williams either, I think your vastly under estimating the job he and Alana have done since he got an opportunity in the thoroughbred ranks.

Dean Binaiise is not a bad young trainer either, it wasn't his fault the horse never settled in over there and was off her feed for much of the time she was over there which put them behind the eightball right from the start.

Nothing against dean Binaisse but his record would indicate that he probably wasn't the best man for the job.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    Not good enough for Melbourne. You blokes must have had a few shandies on course to come up with this idea. She will struggle enough in Adelaide if any second raters come over from Victoria.

She wouldn't even get a start in a Caulfield Cup field.
  • [DeletedUser][DeletedUser]    0 posts
    Fair go Damo, give a girl a chance. This sounds like your.... Ahhh why would you take Scenic Shot over east, this is nothing but a junket and an all expenses paid holiday for the trainer, nothing but a pipe dream. Bet you don't remember that rant do you TDLC ? :wink:
    said:

Fair go Damo, give a girl a chance. This sounds like your.... Ahhh why would you take Scenic Shot over east, this is nothing but a junket and an all expenses paid holiday for the trainer, nothing but a pipe dream. Bet you don't remember that rant do you TDLC ? :wink:

can't remember that, must have been on the juice that night ???

you think this mare can run in Group company ? The Perth Cup certainly wasn't that good, not even a good Listed race.

But hey good luck to them, but I think Bob is smart enough to know that Adelaide might be a good test.
  • [DeletedUser][DeletedUser]    0 posts
    I don't pot horses . Who would of said that Rogan Josh could win a Melbourne cup ? Every owner has a right to dream and aim for the stars.
    Horses can improve from prep to prep, as she gets more ground she may be even better.
    Lets just see what happens. Maybe next Melb cup she could be in the field. What a thrill for the owners. We can only wish them the best of luck. How good would it be for WA to have Western Jewel with Kyra Yuill up in the Cup.
    That would be something.
    said:

I don't pot horses . Who would of said that Rogan Josh could win a Melbourne cup ? Every owner has a right to dream and aim for the stars.
    Horses can improve from prep to prep, as she gets more ground she may be even better.
    Lets just see what happens. Maybe next Melb cup she could be in the field. What a thrill for the owners. We can only wish them the best of luck. How good would it be for WA to have Western Jewel with Kyra Yuill up in the Cup.
    That would be something.

Been a long time dream of Bob's, that is true. Pity it will come at a change of Trainers though. I think Grant & Alana have done a stellar job with Bob's stock.

But the chances of WA producing a stayer to rank on a National basis, is almost nil. We just don't have staying ranks here deep enough. We don't have real committment to race stayers, and you simply do not win Gr 1 races in Melbourne over 2400M & 3200M with a horse having it's first go at that distance from our fields.

Has everyone forgotten what happened in early November ? Anyway the Adelaide Cup will give them a strong indication if she has an opportunity moving forward to Melbourne in October and beyond.
  • darkshinesdarkshines    2,837 posts
    said:

Hahahahahaha
  • Rogue_GreenRogue_Green    294 posts
    Nice win by the Jewel today, writing was on the wall after last years cup. Looks like she could go further after winning running away from them on Sat.

On another point of hilarity. Im sure all of the 20,000 or so crowd saw the strapper hand Western Jewel over to whom i assume is Bob Peters Grandaughter? Clearly no horse sense, after grabbing the lead rope then almost falling over, then almost being trampled.
    Probably didnt help that she had some killer heals on, good viewing for some of the gentlemen on course.
    But could have ended differently for the worse, which is why the strapper should keep hold of the horse until it gets into its winning stall. Clearly her 2 minutes of fame, was 2 minutes of laughter and gasping from those true horse admirers.
    said:

Nice win by the Jewel today, writing was on the wall after last years cup. Looks like she could go further after winning running away from them on Sat.

On another point of hilarity. Im sure all of the 20,000 or so crowd saw the strapper hand Western Jewel over to whom i assume is Bob Peters Grandaughter? Clearly no horse sense, after grabbing the lead rope then almost falling over, then almost being trampled.
    Probably didnt help that she had some killer heals on, good viewing for some of the gentlemen on course.
    But could have ended differently for the worse, which is why the strapper should keep hold of the horse until it gets into its winning stall. Clearly her 2 minutes of fame, was 2 minutes of laughter and gasping from those true horse admirers.

or it could have been a simple slip on those high heels ?

Bob's grandaughters have been around horses for a long time, winning many competitions at events around the Country. They are both competant riders, and I am sure that in steel capped boots probably show no qualms about leading a horse.
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    edited January 2012
    said:

That would be something.

I'm not saying this in hindsight but I honestly did think Rogan Josh could be competitive in a Melbourne Cup. I didnt think he would win it however if your competitive then your halfway there. Also, I think Rogan Josh had hidden talent and in terms of WA stayers, he was just a rare WA horse who was good enough to mix it with the best. As Bart said once: "Rogan Josh was not Saintly or Galilee, but he certainly had more in him then met the eye"

Regardless if Rogan Josh was running around on country tracks in the south-west of WA, he was certainly a good stayer.........all that was needed was the right trainer, "Josh" was a tough dour 2-miler in my opinion. Me personally - the Melbourne Cup was his greatest win but I think his Mackinnon win was his best. Carrying 58kg under WFA conditions and the time was 2:00.34 - still the 2nd fastest Mackinnon time in the history of that race and still 7th fastest Flemington 2000m time overall. I think sometimes people get caught up with the whole Wendy Green fairytale story.....and fair enough too cos it is. But as for the horse itself - he was certainly a very handy stayer and at times doesnt get the credit he deserves. After Rogan Josh ran 2nd in the C.B Cox Stakes and then 2nd in the Perth Cup, Colin Webstar knew then that "Josh" would be good enough to run in the Melbourne Cup.

As for Western Jewel, as I've said before - she certainly deserves her chance to go to Adelaide and maybe Melbourne. She may not have beaten much in the Perth Cup but every horse deserves a chance including her and I'm sure all of us on this forum wish her well.

Cheers,
    PC.
  • JezabeelJezabeel    22 posts
    said:

said:

That would be something.

I'm not saying this in hindsight but I honestly did think Rogan Josh could be competitive in a Melbourne Cup. I didnt think he would win it however if your competitive then your halfway there. Also, I think Rogan Josh had hidden talent and in terms of WA stayers, he was just a rare WA horse who was good enough to mix it with the best. As Bart said once: "Rogan Josh was not Saintly or Galilee, but he certainly has more in him then met the eye"

Regardless if Rogan Josh was running around on country tracks in the south-west of WA, he was certainly a good stayer.........all that was needed was the right trainer. I think sometimes people get caught up with the whole Wendy Green fairytale story.....and fair enough too cos it is. But as for the horse itself - he was certainly a very handy stayer and at times doesnt get the credit he deserves. After Rogan Josh ran 2nd in the C.B Cox Stakes and then 2nd in the Perth Cup, Colin Webstar knew then that "Josh" would be good enough to run in the Melbourne Cup.

As for Western Jewel, as I've said before - she certainly deserves her chance to go to Adelaide and maybe Melbourne. She may not have beaten much in the Perth Cup but every horse deserves a chance including her and I'm sure all of us on this forum wish her well.

Cheers,
    PC.

PC, Western Jewel is at least 15 lengths better then Rogan Josh at 3200m. Anyone can see that.

Jezabeel.
  • PCPC    2,205 posts
    said:

said:

said:

That would be something.

I'm not saying this in hindsight but I honestly did think Rogan Josh could be competitive in a Melbourne Cup. I didnt think he would win it however if your competitive then your halfway there. Also, I think Rogan Josh had hidden talent and in terms of WA stayers, he was just a rare WA horse who was good enough to mix it with the best. As Bart said once: "Rogan Josh was not Saintly or Galilee, but he certainly has more in him then met the eye"

Regardless if Rogan Josh was running around on country tracks in the south-west of WA, he was certainly a good stayer.........all that was needed was the right trainer. I think sometimes people get caught up with the whole Wendy Green fairytale story.....and fair enough too cos it is. But as for the horse itself - he was certainly a very handy stayer and at times doesnt get the credit he deserves. After Rogan Josh ran 2nd in the C.B Cox Stakes and then 2nd in the Perth Cup, Colin Webstar knew then that "Josh" would be good enough to run in the Melbourne Cup.

Cheers,
    PC.

PC, Western Jewel is at least 15 lengths better then Rogan Josh at 3200m. Anyone can see that.

Jezabeel.

That would be hard to assume because Western Jewel is yet to run 3200m in a race?

Cheers,
    PC.
  • JezabeelJezabeel    22 posts
    said:

said:

said:

said:

That would be something.

Cheers,
    PC.

Jezabeel.

That would be hard to assume because Western Jewel is yet to run 3200m in a race?

Cheers,
    PC.

I understand what your saying but I am extremely confident that Western Jewel is 15 lengths better then Rogan Josh at 3200m. The way she won the Perth Cup says it all.

Jezabeel.
  • But the chances of WA producing a stayer to rank on a National basis, is almost nil. We just don't have staying ranks here deep enough. We don't have real committment to race stayers, and you simply do not win Gr 1 races in Melbourne over 2400M & 3200M with a horse having it's first go at that distance from our fields.

not sure that she can win a melbourne cup or even get close to it but if this is not breeding that is commited to producing a stayer i'm not sure what else you can do.
    by Jeune out of a marooned mare.

both sires have won over 3200m and everything they have produced has had some staying ability

• Rogue_GreenRogue_Green    294 posts
    said:

said:

or it could have been a simple slip on those high heels ?

Bob's grandaughters have been around horses for a long time, winning many competitions at events around the Country. They are both competant riders, and I am sure that in steel capped boots probably show no qualms about leading a horse.
    Ha ha they were awfully large heals. Which i thought the same thing, however word around the traps is that they are just competant riders. Barely even that. Not my words.
    Just becasue your family owns and runs race horses, doesnt mean you are automatically a natural. Unlikely his grandaughters are currently at his property mucking out the stables and dealing with yearlings, correct me if im wrong?