G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

Who will be the new Perth Racing CEO?

West Australian Racing
theduketheduke    284 posts
With Michael Heath soon leaving Perth Racing for greener pastures, what are people's thoughts about who will take over the role?

Comments

• RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    I know of an Italian ship captain looking for a new job.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Julia Gillard ??? why not she farrrks everything else she touches horrible bloody thing :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,999 posts
    she'll lead to the next election, dungy...then the scrap heap.

i was thinking of putting "the penguin" up for the job.
    give him a coke and he'd sign anything off.... :lol:
    said:

she'll lead to the next election, dungy...then the scrap heap.

i was thinking of putting "the penguin" up for the job.
    give him a coke and he'd sign anything off.... :lol:

Saw the old Peng at the Red Hots Friday night he is priceless but think he can lead PR out of the shite the peng has leadership written allover him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I hear the Yellow Wiggle has a bit of spare time on his hands at the moment..

At least he'd bring a bit of colour and movement to the club... :lol:
    said:

Nah give it to Matty Knowland he is da man :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,855 posts
    Dungy how come you were at the trots after your many derisive comments about harness racing? :P :P
    said:

Dungy how come you were at the trots after your many derisive comments about harness racing? :P :P

Not much else on a Friday night :lol: :lol: must admit for the familys they do it well but it was a no bet night for me dont back those things as you no i was actually there looking for you wanted to buy you a beer but had to laugh odds on pops getting rolled all night :lol: :lol:
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,855 posts
    I think it may have been the Chinese beauty pageant that attracted you.

You couldn't have bought me a beer as I was at home laying the odds on pops. The ones that won not those that got beat 8)
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,687 posts
    Thankless job under the current Committee. The role is closer to that of an Executive Assistant to the Chairman.

I wonder if the recruiting guru's employed, will this time ask the question of the applicant's intentions towards the position or is it a temp job until something better comes along ?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    said:

said:

Nah give it to Matty Knowland he is da man :lol: :lol: :lol:
    We're not talking about the same person are we????? :)

Damien...if they want commitment as well as intelligence and leadership from any applicant....do you really think that person would be applying for the position??

It will have to be soemone with one or the other...but to have all those attributes would be too confrontational for the commitee and therefore they'd never get through the interview process...IMO!!!!
    Are PR using a reputable recruitment agency (aka "Headhunters") or are they doing the process themselves?
    said:

Are PR using a reputable recruitment agency (aka "Headhunters") or are they doing the process themselves?

Well you would hope that they use a better method than that used by the WA Breeders Association. They didn't even give applicants a written reply, no interviews were given except to the successful applicant, who then announced after a couple of weeks that he didn't want the job.

The thing with Perth Racing is that they don't present themselves as an organisation that a suitably qualified senior executive would want to apply for the position. They have constant legal battles with everyone who darkens their doorstep, dwindling attendances, poor media coverage, and a product so ordinary that even qaulity Interstate competitors can't be bothered to fly across and race against.

I have said it many times, but the current Committee need to going fishing or play Golf, and let someone with the best interests of the Sport take control and wring this situation by the neck.

I would endorse, if that were to mean anything, someone from a Racing background, with an inside understanding of the battles ahead of the sport but with the business sense to apply practises that will enhance and build for generations ahead. I would even say that a return of a former Chairman, and major Breeder is just about the only lifeline I can see for this Club. He wouldn't even need a salary, as he has got plenty.
  • RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    said:

I would even say that a return of a former Chairman, and major Breeder is just about the only lifeline I can see for this Club. He wouldn't even need a salary, as he has got plenty.

Hehe, Indeed he has :lol:
    I think he would be strong enough to spurn the poisoned chalis.
    IF he did mount a challenge, which he won't, I feel a more than competent CEO would work satisfactorally with him.
    Any aspiring applicant, in the present circumstances, would have one look at the revolving door syndrome of prior CEO's and say "Pass.....".
    And rightly so....
    What do you think the package would be worth?
  • Finding someone with a racing background wouldnt be a priority
    'Priority' ? The trouble with the last two CEO's have been their complete lack of any understanding of the Racing Industry, until they sat in the chair they didn't have a single day of experience.

Can you name me a single Industry that would appoint a CEO to oversee a multi million dollar turnover postion in an acutely specific type of endeavour, and then expect that person to produce results ?

That's like making me head of medicine at Fiona Stanley Hospital because I once drove past it on the freeway whilst it was under construction.
    They will have to look to the eastern states...wish Josh Rodder had a bit more experience.
  • GhurkaGhurka    254 posts
    said:

'Priority' ? The trouble with the last two CEO's have been their complete lack of any understanding of the Racing Industry, until they sat in the chair they didn't have a single day of experience.

Can you name me a single Industry that would appoint a CEO to oversee a multi million dollar turnover postion in an acutely specific type of endeavour, and then expect that person to produce results ?
    That's like making me head of medicine at Fiona Stanley Hospital because I once drove past it on the freeway whilst it was under construction.

Plenty of CEOs cross industries, shouldnt be an issue.
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts
    I agree CEO should having racing experience will waste a year picking up the details of what is actually happening. Know they do it in other industries but they usually have many people under them doing the legwork.
    i feel it is vital they have a some years experience in racing administration.
    it is one industry tht is unique with its many facets...you'd have to be a pretty good juggler and have the ability to address many, many vastly different situations....welcoming the Governor to a function to addressing problems brought by, say, the boss of the barrier staff.
    If an incumbent didn't know the difference between a "boat race", a sting and a quartet he's got no hope.
  • BroomeCup4EverBroomeCup4Ever    341 posts
    Falcon, they should try and talk "Sos" into the job. Although he is probably too busy counting his millions....... and for one thing he wouldn't put up with their cr@p.

But the track record is there.
  • rot8inrot8in    1,881 posts
    this may sound silly...Wes C

Racing background and common sense :lol: :lol:

Think he should nominate...im sure theres room for a man of his wealth of knowledge in the racing industry...and if there isnt then make a spot :lol: :lol:
    So long as he brought Frances with him. :wink: Have to pay excess baggage for that rock she's got. :lol:
    You are right, bc4e, they'd know they were alive with sos at the helm.
    I think Wes is more than happy in his niche, Karl.
    He would last 5 mins. before he'd be carted off to the funny farm.
    You need a man of steely principles who is not afraid to say, and act as a CEO should.
    Those people are, expectedly, fully entrenched...possibly with a golden handcuff.
  • said:

They will have to look to the eastern states...wish Josh Rodder had a bit more experience.

what experience has he got now?
    Very few candidates for this position in real terms. Anyone with a minimum of keyboard knowledge and access to a computer, would quickly find out that these guys get into more strife than Flash Gordon. So why would anyone not connected to Racing already, wish to become involved ?

No I think it has to be an Industry appointment.

With all due respect to the media commentators mentioned, some surely as a joke, I think the person who gets the job needs to know that the committee is hostile in it's attitude towards the Industry outside of the bounderies of the Turf Club. They have been in fiscal protection for so long as a result of some prior activities, that first and foremost they think of themselves, and if by some fluke that benefits the Industry by the decisions they take then so be it, but it is not by design.

Some tough questions need to be asked of them, and why certain ventures have been undertaken. But in the longterm, the Constitution of the WATC (trading as Perth Racing) needs to be changed, to remove the protection it guarantees for the presiding Chairman. Also the by-law that states that he can do anything he likes so long as he believes it is in the best interest of the Club. That clause alone has allowed a decision making process to evolve into pantomime.
    said:

said:

what experience has he got now?
    None, I think this comment was tongue in cheek.
    not really, damien.
    the guy is a real mover and shaker.
    maybe in 5-6 yrs (ie in 3or4 CEOs later :P ) he might be the man for the job.
    he is also a very peoples person, an admirable trait..
  • so that's his experience he is a shaker and mover :lol: