9. Wildwest

Emergencies:
Taroona Bromac
Its Rock N Roll
+1 -1

VillageKid, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,280 posts
    Gee you know it is a top field when horses the quality of Taroona Bromac and Its RockAndRoll are only emergencies.
    It must be close to the best crop of 4yo's I have seen in WA in any one year.
    Where would you rate this years lot against other years JJ?
  • JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Almost impossible to answer VK, depending on how old you are, and whether you rate the 4YO Classic as a better assessment than the nugget, do you include visiting horses, a lot of variables.....far preferred the past when you ran heats of the  Nugget rather than the unavoidable subjective selection that occurs now with a panel, seeing as the position of Handicapper was given the shove.
    The 2017 crop was handy.....Classic result had Ultimate Machete, Handsandwheels and Rock Diamonds filling the first 3 spots, 2001 with Falcon Strike beating Manifold Bay, 1984 Village Kid (who won the Pacing Cup  that year but NOT the Golden Nugget) beat Morano Magic in the Classic (Think it was the Romeo Hanover or the Coca Cola prior to the McInerney and now something else), the year Sinbad Bay won the Nugget was an unbelievable field....Jodies Babe, Rowleyella, Another Bart, Manageable, even 2007 when Lombo Pocket watch and Washakie ran the podium.....but I'll go out on a limb with 4 year olds.....Yarracoola was something else way back in 1984, I think the best 4 year old I've seen....but all very debatable...haven't even mentioned Westburn Grant, San Simeon....nah, impossible to give a definitive answer.
    That said, this is a great field, there will be debate about who got in, who was left out but given the draw, it could be a shoot out/last man standing affair, because if the leader gets left alone, that could be the ball game. I think the sparks will/must fly and all the gallops folk, and all the lounge lizards should get off their respective couches and head to GP to wet their Winterbottom appetites.

VillageKid, TrackBias likes this post.

edited November 2019
    Yes take your point on some of the previous fields with Interstate raiders amongst the field.
    I think this race was called the Romeo Hanover Pace back in the 1980s JJ when it was run down at Richmond Raceway.
    The first Interstate raider I can remember over for the Nugget was Vanderport from VIC with Anne Frawley in the cart in which they duly won and then the ill fated NSW Glens Thunder for Vic Frost I think that may have been the next year Vero Prince won?

Actually just had a look through some previous GN runners and to be fair it has always had a top class field assembled.

Yes, always been a terrific race...one of the first ones I invested strongly on a little black speed machine, Pride of Kentucky...he ran his little heart out but alas no cigar, ran 3rd to a "mexican" from over east, trained by Tony Peacock, name eludes me.

VillageKid likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    4 y/o racing is a showpiece for mine .....combination of emerging maturity and youthful enthusiasm. Always remember Milson Edition as a 4 y/o...striking black image of fluent power.

VillageKid, Offthebit, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Now your showing your age curmudgeon

curmudgeon likes this post.

Me too, he was a lovely horse, ranked second only to San Simeon and MJHP's best homebred horse, superb individual. Ran into a couple of smart ones in Mister Karamea and Rip Van Winkle but 2nd in an APC when at his peak.

edited November 2019
    Drove him a few times on the track ....he wasn't a big horse but a muscular bugger.....used to hang out down the straights and in on the bends until you asked him to run ...then he dropped down two inches and lengthened like a snake....63 in hopple and memorable to sit behind. Bit aggro though....had a cage on the front of his box in case you forgot and walked too close to him. Saw him pick a stablehand up and run 10m with him dangling once.....that bloke never forgot to clip him up again. Armbro Del  -Taiko News was his breeding ...think Porters bought him as a yearling in NZ....but I digress.

JayJay, VillageKid likes this post.

This will mean nothing to most @curmudgeon but Taiko News is out of Adoration, a sister to Admiral Way, a 1000 guinea purchase at the 1957 NZ yearling sale by Harry Bele.....and from limited mares, he had enormous success as an unraced stallion in WA.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
     Laurie robinson top horses were by him--- placid way -coolup way --haddock can remember haddock, but how good would have Sinbad bay been , plus the horse that won his first 15 straight in the west lively medley. but for injury. think he arrived as five year old from n.z
    Marg Austin named him ....Taiko News......Milson Edition . Lou and Marg were ensconced at Milson Lodge at the time after taking over the job from Rod Starkie.
    Intrigued me that a few unheralded sires had bursts of prominence in WA such as Admiral Way. Another was one I think Geoff Ward in Wagin had.....FRK and others to a lesser degree had success with his progeny...name escapes me.... but no doubt you ancient blokes will jump all over it 
    Can add Each Way, Andy Todd (Potentially with Haddock the best of all the Admiral Ways), John Silver, Celestial Glory....and then all of Mr Richards horses ...Suto San, Croonaway, Waytane....and Clive Skipper got access to breed Exclusive Way. Only 46 live foals, over 30 winners including a strong contingent that were exported to the USA where they raced with enormous success for years. Contribution as a broodmare sire even more significant. Old Mr Bele had it worked out...he bought those U Scott and Light Brigade mares to compliment his foundation colonial mare, the mighty Wilvetta and the results were tangible.
    Indian Lake

JayJay likes this post.

Yes, not quite as successful, 90 odd foals for about 20 winners but when they used good mares, they got Indian Chant (Wexford Lass), Yilgarna (Color Glo) etc...as always, the mares had the final say.

curmudgeon, VillageKid likes this post.

Speaking of horses Wagin area/Kersley one for you Historians.
    What was the horse and original trainer that FRK took under great controversy as a 4 yo that may have even have won this race at old Richmond Raceway. Owners at the time thought it was better to send to Fred given its talent much to the disgust of most in the industry particularly the original trainer who was a small team trainer. At the time it was so controversial that Rod White wrote an article in the Daily News defending Kersley which he used to do all the time anyway.
    The horse concerned went to Fred but never lived up to its early potential under previous trainer.
    It finished its racing days with Lynn Lucas as trainer and Shane Butterworth taking most drives.
    Was a flashy black with great gate speed.
    Just one that stuck in my mind over the years as I felt sorry for the original trainer at the time and from memory I don't think he ever trained another horse however I could be wrong.

Fred was a master at taking on horses from "small team" trainers...Nixon Adios, Kiwi Raider, Smithdale Lad (I think), Lawndarme are some that spring to mind....

Speaking of horses Wagin area/Kersley one for you Historians.
    What was the horse and original trainer that FRK took under great controversy as a 4 yo that may have even have won this race at old Richmond Raceway. Owners at the time thought it was better to send to Fred given its talent much to the disgust of most in the industry particularly the original trainer who was a small team trainer. At the time it was so controversial that Rod White wrote an article in the Daily News defending Kersley which he used to do all the time anyway.
    The horse concerned went to Fred but never lived up to its early potential under previous trainer.
    It finished its racing days with Lynn Lucas as trainer and Shane Butterworth taking most drives.
    Was a flashy black with great gate speed.
    Just one that stuck in my mind over the years as I felt sorry for the original trainer at the time and from memory I don't think he ever trained another horse however I could be wrong.

Was it Power Eden by any chance FD?
    From memory originally trained by F.Atkinson or similar?
    Nothing other then  remember a horse trained by  Atkinson called accotime only because the name, but just checked he was bay, his record wasn't worth a blu.  V.K.  just checked power eden. could be on the money.

Jay Jay was at G.P. the night smithdale lad sat three wide the whole race and won think bill kersley drove it, think George might have been on,---- with the superlatives post race from,george
    The speed map boys in reeds camp,with different owners involved  will,probably need someone of Casper Weinberger ilk, to sort out there early-burn.  with Suvaljko and Warwick in same colours, bit like having Hitler& Churchill in the same tank.

If  Robbie Easton accelerator gets stuck again. the sleepers early in the race might  come into play,thought Wildwest was ordinary l/start everything was to his favour,  he hasn't  looked like his very comfortable, at g.p. when he trys to cover them esp in this class, just watching the gran chico replays he displays a fair bit of toughness,but with inclination to knock off, 20-30 from the judge

Its all on the table for a great race, Couple a trainers need to do there best father Christmas impersonation's, esp---when theres only one chocolate ----,still got to hand the boiled lollies out to the rest.

Not Power Eden not Smithdale Lad think he was actually trained by Bill btw. However was around same time I think and was by Capatain Hook
    Power Eden is the one I think.

STG, I remember Smithdale Lad well, a big strong fella, think he got his size and looks through old Wrack Again on the dams side rather than through his sire Racy Prince. George did have a late life love affair with him, especially after he backed him that night....Bill certainly drove him most of the time as I recall. I think the Spurr's bred him, he won a heat of the Pacing Cup one year and I think he did okay at the Inters in Adelaide in the early 80's?, maybe the year Gammalite won? Later on, he won an Albany Cup but I think that was after he left Kersleys. Great old type standardbred.
    Rhinestone King or Frosty hook
    Cherokee Chief .....just guessing now.
    You got it jj
    Trainer Barry Bilston never saw him again had him flying then the owners took him off him and never went the same.
    Something tells me B Bilston went to Victoria and trained over there. I could well be off the mark though.
    Barry Bilston train outta kambalda at one stage?

On  Racy Prince one year he had a high priced yearling 20k for memory, it was a midget 13.3 would have seen it out,half brother to vero prince, a picture was in the west,, The intending other half-owner pulled out, for whatever reason. its name finished up clown prince,

Hummer Spence,was his name only just passed on R.I.P but his deeds on cricket field as  a wicketkeeper are legendary in the goldfields...Even the west indies touring team left Kalgoorlie amazed how someone could stand virtually over the stumps to fast bowling. hummer pulled the right rein with the clown prince.
    See the former harness trainer Trevor Towie has a galloper called Warbo N Grato in the next at Northam. He had the former handy 2 3 & 4 y/o Seattle Prince ....also by Racy Prince. Went close in big races a few times from memory but don't know if he ever won one.
    Seattle Prince doesn't seem right  whats listed as his record, sure can remember him chasing san simeon  home a few times with the talk he will beat next start, just didn't happen,think maybe pacific ruler was a next timer as well stretching the memory,but----- curmudgeon they may have clashed at bunbury in san simeon's first start,and pacific ruler was off 10m? the willo boys were on courtesy of your good self. true/false------ san simeon first start was at bunbury?