G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 6 Non Members

RWWA`s management of the greyhound industry!!

Harness & Greyhounds
FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
edited November -1 Harness & Greyhounds
Well written article on the position of greyhound racing in WA.

http://www.raptinracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1534&Itemid=1

Comments

• I have just read that article and am interested in the specific areas that RWWA is failing the greyhounds in?

Is it just distributions in the form of stake money that the author is having a go at or are there other areas?
  • tonytony    2,375 posts
    I am with you here BC.

The article may well be justified but provides no reasons for panning RWWA other than a simple statement that greyhounds is now the number 2 of the 3 codes.

If money is being given to the trots that should go to the dogs surely the writer should state some actual facts re turnover and distribution to support his criticism.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    BC and Tony

Not sure what you blokes are reading but you seem to have the right credentials for employment at RWWA.
  • I dont know a lot about the greyhound industry but the article just seems to be an endless rant bashing RWWA for the distribution levels and some sort of breeding levy

I just assume that stakes have not been increased to match increasing costs by trainers

Want level does the greyhound industry think is fair and equitable if 12% is too low and what should the increase be used for?
    You tell me BC

.............................................Tbreds...........Harness..........Greys

Total WA Tab Turnover % ........56.2%..........19.4%...........24.8%
    Total Distribution %...................59.7%..........27.6%...........12.6%
    Each % point of distribution is around 1mil dollars
    Grants over the last 3 years ......8.5 mil..........4 mil.............42000
    Lark hill and Byford funded on top of distribution.
  • tonytony    2,375 posts
    said:

You tell me BC

.............................................Tbreds...........Harness..........Greys

Total WA Tab Turnover % ........56.2%..........19.4%...........24.8%
    Total Distribution %...................59.7%..........27.6%...........12.6%
    Each % point of distribution is around 1mil dollars
    Grants over the last 3 years ......8.5 mil..........4 mil.............42000
    Lark hill and Byford funded on top of distribution.

Now that is the kind of information that should have been in the original article. Assuming your figures are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them) it certainlyt appears the greys should be treated much better than they are.
  • What report are those figures from? Surely there is some reasoning as to why the greyhounds are getting robbed?
    Tony the article was targetted at the greyhound industry who are all very aware of the figures I posted.

Unfortunately the other 2 codes are happy to receive their funding at the expense of the greyhound industry.
    Now BC do you understand the tone and the frustration associated with the article?

RWWA industry status report.
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    The Greyhound industry certainly deserves more of the distribution pie, without doubt.

But you can't have a go at the Thoroughbred code, they are getting within 5% of their turnover.

Harness racing need to look at their industry very carefully, for some reason people aren't punting on the harness code, like they are on both thoroughbred and greyhound codes.

The greyhound industry is propping up the harness racing industry based on those figures.

As someone that bets on greyhounds 60%, thoroughbred 30% and sports 10% - notice which one is missing - I prefer the form and find greyhound racing more consistent than the other codes.
    LL

I`m sure the greyhound code would like to be within 5% of their turnover.
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    said:

LL

I`m sure the greyhound code would like to be within 5% of their turnover.

Absolutely, winning races and getting a massive $590 is ridiculous!

It could only be a good thing for greyhound racing, if each code got the same percentage of turnover that they earned in the prior financial year.

ie.

GG's earn 57% of turnover in 10/11 FY - they get 57% in 11/12 FY
    Chariots earn 19% of turnover in 10/11 FY - they get 19% in 11/12 FY
    Dishlickers earn 24% of turnover in 10/11 FY - they get 24% in 11/12 FY

I understand that there are commisions in pools etc, which may adjust for each code - but I'm not sure why one code is having to support another to the extent it currently is!
  • Hey all,
    Im new to this forum but an active Greyhound Owner
    I have tried and tried as have many.
    I admire GD's passion and have to agree with all of the very informed information he provides.
    And yep guess how RWWA have handled this, yep we all know....as any one would that cannot defend such informed comments.

Hey i have a new approach, i buy greys from here and send them to the states that better look after the industry participants.
    I do enjoy watching my chasers race at Angle Park from the comfort of my Sky Channel access.
    The ironic thing is that there are many upon many WA greyhounds now making up a good share of the fields over in SA.
    Sad Sad Sad, but whilst its RWWA's perogative to not see anything wrong, its mine to send my dogs to SA!
    Oh yes i punt them on my TAB NSW betting account
    Its here that i am getting an incentive to spend via Number One Club points, i can bet running doubles on ANY races and oh yes, NO carryover, i get paid on the first correct combination!!
    2nd and 3rd may sometimes get me the whole pool, if i cant pick 1st into 1st on WATab, the magic carryover word appears!

Very seriously, whilst it sounds like i have a sarcastic tone to my words, i am disgusted with OUR LOCAL betting medium being way way behind the slick operators of the past 5 yearsor so!
    The answer.....DEAD WOOD! Time to move on fellas!
    Lets get some go getters in there at RWWA that CAN change things and keep up with the times! I believe they have good CEO its those that sit directly under him that i am referring to!

Please tell me if i have been on the drink for too long!

Regards.....James
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    good post james.
  • I thought SA prizemoney was worst than WA??

has that changed recently??
    BC

Stakemoney in SA has improved but is still less than WA.

The attraction for sending WA dogs to SA is greyhounds that are just short of City class in WA have far greater opportunities to earn in SA.

In SA greyhounds can race twice a week, with many dogs having 8 starts a month, in WA there are restrictions which generally only allow 1 start a week and if your form drops off you may only receive a start once a month in certain grades.

Numerous ex WA dogs now race in SA which would have rarely happened previously.

Anyone having a look at Saturday nights Cannington fields recently would have noticed the lack of individual races and lack of full fields, this shows that stakemoney is not the only factor that makes racing greyhounds viable.
  • kanekane    46 posts
    for starters fastmoney i think you will find their are no restrictions on the amount of times a dog can race i can think of one trainer with three certain dogs who have raced four times in eight days in the past where are these restrictions you are talking about and james the carryover means nothing you can still win the money on a following event maybe if you did bet with WA tote you may help the prizemoney here instead of being one of these knuckleheads who seem to support another state james answer me this is WA not the third greatest state in regards to metropolitan stakemoney?
    Kane

Perhaps you need to get a little more educated before you comment.

If greyhounds race at the 2 lowest stakemoney meetings eg. Northam Monday and Mandurah Thursday they are allowed to start twice a week.Have a look how many dogs start on a Tuesday after racing on a Thursday, Friady or Saturday, the answer is none. In SA greyhounds are selected totally on form, so if you nominate and have the best form you get a start.

You might want to check your facts on doubles carryovers as well. A carryover on race 5 at Northam dogs today and the pool on the following race does not have any carryover added.

Unfortunately the WA Tab and numerous racing industry executives expect punters to bet with them despite other tabs and corporates offering a far superior product. When someone works out that they need to be more competitive punters might return.

Hope someone realizes sooner than later.
  • ashleighmpashleighmp    24 posts
    Unless this ruling has been brought in in the last 8 weeks, can you explain this to me?

6th R6 34.5kg CAN 530 13-Jul-11 31.44 6.03 13.25 Len
    3rd R9 34.8kg NOR 509 11-Jul-11 30.18 5.99 4.75 Len
    7th R1 34.9kg CAN 530 09-Jul-11 31.43 5.93 16.00 Len
    8th R6 34.9kg CAN 530 06-Jul-11 31.88 6.06 14.75 Len
    Won R10 35.0kg NOR 509 04-Jul-11 30.11 6.00 Neck

These stats are from one dog. [/b]
    Ash

The current lack of dogs for cannington has allowed some dogs who are capable of running 530m the chance to run whenever they want.

Basically any dog nominating for Cannington at the moment will get a start.

If numbers were higher it would be a different situation.
  • Legato holly won 10 races in 40 days - not uncommon to see dogs racing twice a week
    Maybe I haven`t explained myself correctly.

Basically if your greyhound is unable to make it as a City class dog in WA you are better off financially racing in SA, despite the fact they race for less money for individual races.

If anyone doubts this ask WA`s leading breeder why his lesser class dogs race in SA.

Currently Saturdays premier greyhound meeting can`t get enough dogs to hold a full meeting yet other meetings have numerous dogs that can`t gain a start.

Putting up Ledaro Holly and Mr.Pricklepants as examples are unique situations which aren`t relevant to the big picture.
  • so what you are saying is that WA needs to hold more country/provincial grade races to cope with all the slow dogs here ???

if its easy to get a start in city grade why dont people just buy city dogs from over east?
    Della

You obviously haven`t tried to buy a City class dog from other states in recent times.

The days of buying cheap dogs from other states have gone.

With WA stakemoney stagnant for the past 3 years and all other states improving their stakemoney and improving their grading conditions, WA is no longer the place for dogs from other places.

Your quip about slow dogs is disrespectful to participants who just want a level playing field (in regard to race opportunities).

Yes there should be an adjustment to the class of races that are held.

Unfortunately those in charge of programming can`t see it.
  • actually I have tried

and yes it is hard but I am only a small player in the greyhoud scene

I am not arguing with you in respect that WA needs to lift its game

just think if you are going to bash the administrators you need to come up with viable alternatives to the current situation - not just continual criticism

increased stakes would be great

love your passion anyway fastmoney - keep up the fight
    Della

Unfortunately numerous viable alternatives have been brought to RWWA`s attention but there is an attitude that they know far more than any participant.

Saturday fields at there lowest ebb (quantity and quality), numerous dogs unable to gain a start at Tuesday and Thursday meetings, many greyhounds continuing their careers in SA, training numbers in decline and participant satisfaction at an all time low.

All this but those who have the ability to make changes won`t even acknowledge there is a problem.
  • ashleighmpashleighmp    24 posts
    Guys, You have to understand the quality of dog isn't here. And as an owner of greyhounds in WA, I think our prize money is really good. I have dogs that race at both cannington and northam, and the prize money is adequate at northam for the quality of the majority of dogs that go around each week. and from what I have been told from, we have the third highest stake money for city grade dogs (obviously behind Victoria and Sydney) but how can we expect the same prize money as them?