G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

GP Push Out Rule

Harness & Greyhounds
GilgameshGilgamesh    4,749 posts
edited November -1 Harness & Greyhounds
I really think there needs to be a change to this rule, back to something like it use to be. I've just read how G Williams recieved an 18 day suspension for "causing a horse to cover more groung than necessary". What a load of wank! If he wasn't in the 3 wide line at that stage then he wouldn't have won the race so it was absolutely necessary.

Real life come 3 wide at about the 1400. He got past Tartary Gladiator by the 1200. Davy Maguire was on Real Life's back at the back of the field before the move and tried to track him but had dropped of by very nearly a sulky's length. That horse had every chance to be on Real Life's back but wasn't filling it's position. What was Williams meant to do, look over his shoulder and go "Gee Real Life would be the perfect horse to trail into the race here but I better not move out becaue it looks like K Harper wants that position too so I better just stay in and wait for him to fill it".

Racing HAS to be competitive. If Williams had of staid in he doesn't win the race and I along with at least a half dozen of my mates I tipped it too along with everyone else out there who backed it would have been saying what a poor drive it was, how GP was now uncompetitive and people just wouldn't be tunning in on friday nights let alone betting. Harness racing in this state is all ready struggling enough as it is for competition with the domination of the big stables at the moment, the rules need to be there to optimise competition and as a result turnover not reduce it. If you can do something to remove the image of "the red hots" then why wouldn't you?

This isn't just a one off. I'm relatievly young (twenty eight) in terms of being a harness racing fan. I used to love the fact that compered to the eastern states our racing was so competitive. Now it's just gone down there boring sit sit sit ok SPRINT! path with half the field being held up. You don't need a bigger track and sprint lanes for competition. I actually think the small track use to creat competition because it makes the lead so valuable. But if the horses at the back and on the inside that are gong well aren't allowed to take the runs of the one's that aren't going well then the horse's who get forward first are just getting far to well rewarded.

My beef.

Comments

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,855 posts
    I don't necessarily disagree that the previous rule where horses could be pushed wider from the top of the straight coming to the bell promoted more competitive racing. The upside is that there is definitely less interference without the jostling.

Grant Williams would still have been suspended under the previous rule as he moved Davy Maguire up the track prior to where the old ease out pole was located. Kyle Harper for some reason made it look worse by shifting to a four wide position when he could easily have eased slightly to get onto the back of Tartary Gladiator. May have wanted to make sure that the movement was seen but in doing so gave his drive less chance anyway.