G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Gloucester Park 11th Nov - Italian Fireworks Night

Harness & Greyhounds
TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
edited November -1 Harness & Greyhounds
Looking forward to going to this meeting after the last family night I went to at the end of summer. Great night out.
Anyone can furnish me with some tips?

Comments

• PunterPunter    947 posts
    Grinjaro looks awfully hard to beat. Good turn off foot so should circle them last lap to score well.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    Thanks Punter....found some of me own tips:

Mick Radley GLOUCESTER PARK : 6-1 Eliminator / 8-7 Real Life

Wes Cameron GLOUCESTER PARK : 4-2 Franco Renegade / 7-5 Davy Maguire (each way)

Richie Bell GLOUCESTER PARK : 8-7 Real Life
    massive crowd tonight, standing room only. reminded me of new years eve at GP. Im not kidding!
    had a great night, well done GP and WATA.
  • PunterPunter    947 posts
    What time did you get there? My mates said parking was difficult to find.
  • SpannerSpanner    7 posts
    said:

massive crowd tonight, standing room only. reminded me of new years eve at GP. Im not kidding!
    had a great night, well done GP and WATA.

Things must of changed last big meeting could not get a drink food to hard to get so went to Vic park and had a meal instead better and a shit load cheaper. Unfortunately the wata have a lot to learn when it comes to entertainment they have about 3 big nits year and then struggle for the rest of them
    got there at 5pm. parking was ok, but thats early granted.
    crowd built up by about race 4.
    Drinks were not cheap, but where are they cheap these days?
    italian food was great and in abundance.
    cant see how you could slam the night. If you dont like the crowds, then the big nights are not your go i suppose.
    said:

got there at 5pm. parking was ok, but thats early granted.
    crowd built up by about race 4.
    Drinks were not cheap, but where are they cheap these days?
    italian food was great and in abundance.
    cant see how you could slam the night. If you dont like the crowds, then the big nights are not your go i suppose.

not slamming the night so to speak. As a whole that should be happening every Friday night instead it only happens 2 to 3 times a year.
    The food last time we went on a big nite looked good but there was just to many people for the outlets supplied they perhaps have learnt from that.

As for every Friday night the restaurant food is not great have had better pub meals and very dear. Alcohol is select and very dear. Even the chicken treat store is the dearest in the state. There is know family entertainment to encourage families there as that is where the future is and you have to pay overs to get in. Every time they have free entry and kids entertainment the place is packed.

When you consider stake money is derived from tote turn over one would think by making it more achievable for a family night out once a week this would increase turnover. Also whilst on tote turnover , knowing very well that the most turnover is off course why would you have a group race on at 9 o'clock our time which is 11 or 12 in the east and know one is up and tab outlets are not even open.

I just think this is a great sport and unless the industry can improve it self to the level of footy gallops etc we will not grow at all. When one looks at how many are moving from pacers to the gallops being trainers and owners it becomes a worry for our future, when you consider where pacing was some twenty years ago we have gone from being on top to the bottom.

Finally perhaps watt other country clubs and maybe even RWWA should spend a couple of weekends at the gallops and see what they are doing and try implementing some of the things they are doing . They have 1000 of people turn up every weekend ranging from children through to pensioners.

Not saying they are doing it perfectly but it does seem to work.
  • everreadyeverready    282 posts
    spanna if u want to be able to have room to move in a big crowd
    somewhere the kids can play in ther own play area
    and a cheap feed the whole family for under $15
    i got just the place for YOU next sat take the family to
    " BUNNINGS" :lol: :lol: :lol:
    said:

spanna if u want to be able to have room to move in a big crowd
    somewhere the kids can play in ther own play area
    and a cheap feed the whole family for under $15
    i got just the place for YOU next sat take the family to
    " BUNNINGS" lol lol lol

Appreciate you humor, but seriously the facts are there the future is in family the younger generation that is coming through. The point is GP is out leading track it is based smack in the middle of Perth has a clientel base of millions of homes in a short traveling distance to it and struggles to get 500 people on the lawn at most of it's meetings. Yet when the have a family night free entry things for the kids etc the place is packed. From a business point of view thought that's what the industry is trying to achieve all codes for that matter.

Just look at pinjarra the best track by far in the state ( that's another discussion point on it's own) every time they have a meeting on a long weekend cater for families and the joint is packed. I have friends with young family's that are not involved in the game at all have taken them to pin and GP they choose pin family day over GP any day of the week.

In a industry where owners are just moving out of the game at a great rate (include trainers in that as well) is this not one of the first steps to attracting more people to the industry. Correct me if you I am wrong.
    Agree that all of the race clubs could learn a thing or two from Pinjarra.
    said:

Agree that all of the race clubs could learn a thing or two from Pinjarra.

Agree totally diva and there is probably things that other clubs do that could work to. We should be picking the eyes out of it and introducing these ideas across the board. If we can't increase owners ,trainers, horses, then we can't increase tote turnover, the secret to the industries success with out it the future does not look bright.

We already seeing this breeding numbers are down ( by how much know one will no for sure yet) , sales prices are down, owners and trainers are going missing.

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom and are not but it is time for a reality wake up before it gets to late.
  • kibblekibble    24 posts
    The reality is that the minimum attendance number at a GP Friday night meeting is in the vicinity of 1,000+. The size of the venue and the fact that the crowd disperse throughout the various function rooms and restaurants can lead to a feeling of 'loneliness' especially during the winter months but the people are there. A facility of that size needs at least 3,000 people to look like a decent crowd.

Promotional nights like Italian night and other family nights are a great way to promote the sport to a future generation of industry participants and punters but the turnover on these nights does not jump out of the ground as you would expect because the families are there for the entertainment. They don't punt and they don't return next week - even though they have a good night out.

All clubs should be commended for hosting family promotional events but it's not financially feasible for any club to promote and host these events regularly as the cost of advertising and entertainment cannot be recouped through increased on-course turnover.
    said:

The reality is that the minimum attendance number at a GP Friday night meeting is in the vicinity of 1,000+. The size of the venue and the fact that the crowd disperse throughout the various function rooms and restaurants can lead to a feeling of 'loneliness' especially during the winter months but the people are there. A facility of that size needs at least 3,000 people to look like a decent crowd.

Promotional nights like Italian night and other family nights are a great way to promote the sport to a future generation of industry participants and punters but the turnover on these nights does not jump out of the ground as you would expect because the families are there for the entertainment. They don't punt and they don't return next week - even though they have a good night out.

All clubs should be commended for hosting family promotional events but it's not financially feasible for any club to promote and host these events regularly as the cost of advertising and entertainment cannot be recouped through increased on-course turnover.

It's great if there is a 1000plus there I have never seen those sought of numbers then I guess, I refuse to eat there so I never go into that area but from the ground level you would not be blamed to think that therevwould be 500 or less. As you have even cut bar staff last I was there one bar was closed albeit I think that might have been a sat night. Thebthing is both GP and the gallops have very similar entertainment packages one is highly successful the other not that successful . So is there something for WATA to take not of and find away of getting the people back . Go back 20years or more to Richmond raceway packed every night families on the grass where has that gone.

You kind of missing my point in that families don't come back the next week cause WATA are back to ripping them off. They need to have a real good look at themselves and be in it for the industry not themselves. They can't even here what the people are saying ,that's there clientele whether they own a horse or not. I understand the WATA finances are not that great if the case then maybe they need to do something about it instead of dwindling away there new bank account from the Fremantle merger.

I think it's time for a change at the top gets some fresh young blood in and make it work. This is our premier track and like other premier tracks should ave a great following and be packed every meeting.

Come on WATA shows what your made off . Let's get the industry back to where it was years ago.