G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members
rot8inrot8in    1,881 posts
a quicky lads....Is there Wifi at the races(Ascot)??

Comments

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    No public/free wifi available, that I know of.

3G mobile the best I could use. It works fine on quieter days, but is next to useless on busy days.

Would be a great innovation for on course punters to be looked after with free wifi on course.
  • youknowityouknowit    271 posts
    There is no way Perth Racing would or should have free Wi-Fi on course, would encourage too many people to bet off course using the info from the track and take turnover away from the oncourse tote and bookies
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    Speaking of poor decisions, the WAROA magazine landed in my mailbox this week. One of the advertisers is Sportingbet, offering an Owner's Privilege. So where is support your local Industry in this acceptance of advertising revenue ?

At least I can say with this issue, I haven't laughed as much as when I read one of their other articles. Yea right.
    said:

There is no way Perth Racing would or should have free Wi-Fi on course, would encourage too many people to bet off course using the info from the track and take turnover away from the oncourse tote and bookies

The other flipside of that same coin, is it may just attract more younger people to the track.

In this day and age, you have to be competitive price wise - and that's what MOST punters no matter where they bet are looking for!

If people feel that they get good value for money on course, both in refreshments and betting opportunities, they will be on course!
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    Refreshments??? :roll: Finish up broke and with a dose of ptomaine poisoning.. :lol:
  • rot8inrot8in    1,881 posts
    said:

said:

The other flipside of that same coin, is it may just attract more younger people to the track.

In this day and age, you have to be competitive price wise - and that's what MOST punters no matter where they bet are looking for!

If people feel that they get good value for money on course, both in refreshments and betting opportunities, they will be on course!
    i agree...you could track everything and give yourself best opportunity
  • DarkDark    909 posts
    Was at Sha Tin the other week and they have free WiFi on course. This coming from the strictest jockey club in the world.
    ...and only one avenue to bet, dark shines...unless you want to finish in the clink.. :shock:
  • joneseejonesee    715 posts
    said:

What a bizarre post --- was this really posted in 2011?
  • danishdanish    96 posts
    said:

said:

they probably hold a senior position at rwwa/PR
  • ericwanduericwandu    544 posts
    im 26.

your joking if you think wireless gets people there.

nobody gives a shit about it. i go coz when i get there i get the information people only wish they could get.

im sorry but 20-30s dont give a fuck about wireless.
    and no it should not be provided.

if people are gonna bring laptops or ipads there do you really expect me to think they are there to have anymore than 3 beers at most.

dont lie
    ericwandu signing out.

im done here.
    said:

im 26.

your joking if you think wireless gets people there.

nobody gives a **** about it. i go coz when i get there i get the information people only wish they could get.

im sorry but 20-30s dont give a **** about wireless.

wow... i have seen some arrogance on here before but is Eric really
    deeming himself a spokesman for his generation?
    I probably would never bring a laptop or ipad to the races, but betting on mobiles (even with our own TABtouch.mobi) is becoming much more popular.

For example I turned up at the WACA last night and wanted to have a bet on the cricket and a bet on two of my dogs at Mandurah - WACA TAB has been shut down, so had to jump online, fund my account and got my bets on - had I not had TABtouch.mobi on my phone, I couldn't have had a bet (and in turn give the TAB some money)
  • justrandomjustrandom    222 posts
    Im 23 and I would love some free wireless available on the course. Maybe even give some useful websites for people to look at while they are on course, such as Perth Turf Talk :P
  • rot8inrot8in    1,881 posts
    said:

Im 23 and I would love some free wireless available on the course. Maybe even give some useful websites for people to look at while they are on course, such as Perth Turf Talk :P

Im 24 and i would like it as well... :lol: :lol:
    if someone took your iphones, you young people would be hanging from every tree with a noose around your necks.
    at a function recently, at a table of 6 "sweet young things", 5(at any one time) were constantly texting. sad? you betcha..pathetic...
    let the racetrack be a haven of no wifi....please Lord...
  • TorpedoPuntTorpedoPunt    1,891 posts
    said:

if someone took your iphones, you young people would be hanging from every tree with a noose around your necks.
    at a function recently, at a table of 6 "sweet young things", 5(at any one time) were constantly texting. sad? you betcha..pathetic...
    let the racetrack be a haven of no wifi....please Lord...

Are you sure they wern't placing bets Falc?
    :lol: :lol: :lol: don't think so....
    Good broadband coverage on course today!

Few open wifi networks (silly buggers) and overall good, but the members floor continues to be hot (very poor air con) and bad reception!

The bookies floor and grandstand is quite good reception areas!
    said:

said:

said:

they probably hold a senior position at rwwa/PR
    Just think about it for a second, where does the bulk of revenue come from? turnover on punting. Why should PR provide a service at a cost to them that is going to take money away from them by encouraging people to bet on BF or a corporate off course. I bet with BF and others off course but why should PR provide this service for me?
    Are you fair dinkum or just winding us up?
    it makes perfect sense to me, jonesee.
    would you take an esky full of coronas to the pub??
  • AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    Don't often agree with Falcon's cynical posts but he does make some sense on this one.

It is a no brainier really would Perth Racing prefer 20 per cent on exotics or let you bet with betfair or the corporates where they may get 1.5 percent.

I use both but stay at home to do it.
  • GaryHGaryH    1,012 posts
    said:

If the pub was empty every Saturday, would they try something new or keep going with the "tried and true" formula?

I live across the road from the track, but will only go when I have one running (or when someone I know has one running...). The rest of the time its foxtell and Sportsbet. So, if you can't beat them, join them.

Getting people to the track gets them involved in the industry. Like footy, you can have the billion dollar TV contract, but you must get the fans to sign up to attend the game for it to work (just look at the 20/20)
    said:

said:

If the pub was empty every Saturday, would they try something new or keep going with the "tried and true" formula?

I live across the road from the track, but will only go when I have one running (or when someone I know has one running...). The rest of the time its foxtell and Sportsbet. So, if you can't beat them, join them.

Getting people to the track gets them involved in the industry. Like footy, you can have the billion dollar TV contract, but you must get the fans to sign up to attend the game for it to work (just look at the 20/20)
    Like your logic Gary, IF it brought new punters to the track that otherwise wouldn't be there it is a good thing. May get a smaller piece of a bigger pie. Just dont think PR have a good track record of attracting AND keeping new punters so the share would get smaller and the pie would ultimately stay the same
    you're right, knowit.
    i go about every second week and its the same faces every week....and i know where they drink...eg if i want to see laurie..middle of the long bar. if i want to see jd, behind rabbit's stand.
    only new faces are guys on bucks day.
    the members....Mmmmm
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,771 posts
    said:

you're right, knowit.
    i go about every second week and its the same faces every week....and i know where they drink...eg if i want to see laurie..middle of the long bar. if i want to see jd, behind rabbit's stand.

Want to see Falcon..it's every bar on course :P
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    said:

you're right, knowit.
    only new faces are guys on bucks day.
    the members....Mmmmm

If I want to see Damien, I train my binoculars on the fenceline and search from left to right.

Not you Falcon, but Luckylongshots knows who I am talking about .....LOL