G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 8 Non Members

Unluckiest or Most Unfortunate Punting Experience

West Australian Racing
SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,771 posts
Quite a few moons ago I was keen on two in a race to beat the field in a quartet. Put the ticket through then was told I marked it incorrectly. I had not been aware and there were no signs (there were in other Tabs I checked out later in evening) that there was a change in how you had to mark the quartet tickets.

I marked one correctly and made attempt 2 but this time wasn't read. Attempt 3 and now problem with machine. Attempt 4 queue up and as I place ticket in machine the race commences and I'm too late. I watch my first two convincingly beat the field.. 17K in pool and no one picked it and it was a carryover. :angry: :angry: :crying: :crying: I never returned to that Tab.

Okay gang let's have your hard luck stories.

Comments

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    this is some time ago but my mate rumours and i still mention it.
    quartet and trifecta....
    danny miller wins it whisky lover.
    ron frankin on 5th placegetter protests against dan.
    after an eternity...its upheld.
    would have been a huge collect for me...

not as gut wrenching as yours, slip....thats razor and wrist material... :cry:
  • RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    This sounds like a thread for the late great George Grljusich.
  • Brunswick_cowBrunswick_cow    341 posts
    said:

This sounds like a thread for the late great George Grljusich.

:lol: :lol: How many seconds did the great man back! bout 8 a meeting i rekon...Miss the great George!! :D
  • SillySilly    6 posts
    One Wednesday i marked down the wrong horse in the final leg of a quaddie. I think i marked the 1 instead of the 2.

Took it 2 times and the quaddie paid just over 9k.

Fair to say i was suicidal for a month afterwards
    the thing with mis-marked tickets, silly, is that we have no one to blame but ourselves.. :cry:
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,771 posts
    Falcon the thing about punting in general is that we have no one to blame but ourselves :)
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    Up in Kal about 8 years ago I took a quaddie, one horse in each leg for $5.
    First leg gets up at 20/1, 2nd and 3rd legs win as fav and 6/1 shots roughly.
    I was at cricket training so didn't hear the last leg, just rang up to get an account balance, which hadn't changed.
    I checked the paper the next day and my last leg at about 8/1 ran 2nd by a nose. Quaddie paid 5 figures :cry:
  • PunterPunter    947 posts
    I've never ever won favourite numbers before. Not in 40 years. How unlucky can you get.
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    edited January 2012
    Standing in the Maylands PubTAB 1/12/2007

KW had a big day with four big priced winners and wanted to back the last of them in Trimvision (which started at the crazy odds of approx. $18 )

Had $100 worth of tickets in hand waiting to put them through (the old style grey machines), when the bloke two in front of me, puts in some tickets and jams the machine (not just a little jam, it shut the machine down completely) and by the time the bloke jumped to the other machine and got it running, they had jumped!

Trimvision comes around the turn in front leading by a few and runs away for an easy win!

I had Trimvision with the field in the exacta for $1 unit - exacta paid over $900 (if I recall correctly)

Cost me over $1600 - could have been charged with murder that day! Put me off punting in a TAB venue.

Lesson learned - never leave your bets to the last 60-120 seconds before jump time :cry: (In saying that the new machines seem much more reliable)

add to that - this one of trying to be ultra careful...

picked four horses (boxed) in the last race at Ascot one day

Had $40 to invest, but decided to add a few incase something unexpected came in.

The four I selected initially, came in the first four (quartet paid over $5k), so instead of boxing my first four and getting 166% of the divy - I got like 20% :x
  • When I was living on the Gold Coast in 2003 sharing a house with the son of a bookie I wanted to back Maykbe Diva pre-post for the Melbourne Cup at 50-1 as I had black booked her previously and she was resuming in the spring.

He asked his dad if he would hold the bet for me - his old man then convinced me that it would be better to see her have a run as she was resuming over an unsuitable 1400 and unlikely to run a good race so I could probably then get 100-1.

She flashed home for an eye catching 4th and was cut to 15-1, of course went on to win the Cup - still won a bit but could have won lots more.

Only ever trusted my own opinion since and havent regretted it (so maybe it wasnt so unfortunate).
  • everreadyeverready    282 posts
    had a $10 quaddie 2legsx2legsx2legs all in to CLASSY NUGGET in the last he was a city maidin then up for 8k + trimes were tough would felt like 18k got beat neck after averge ride won somtin like 5 nxt 8 in town :( :( :(
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    Had a flexi bet (pick six I think it was called) on the NSW internet TAB many, many years ago before they were available here. Got onto them through ole mate Rodent on a site that was a predecessor to this one.

Thought I'd spent a few hundred for 25%.

Four roughies got up - one winning ticket - i was out fishin and i was dancin -

Get home check acc - looking for 6 figures

:evil: I fkd up somehow - spent 10's instead of hundreds - got 2.5% - still a fair collect but alas - not mortgage ending
  • HitmanHitman    146 posts
    I backed Yuro in the derby 2008
  • SemipropunterSemipropunter    438 posts
    said:

My memory's a bit hazy, but wasn't that horse just beaten by a superior ride by the wiz on the winner? I backed Yuro also and remember thinking Harvey had just had his pants pulled down.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    said:

said:

My memory's a bit hazy, but wasn't that horse just beaten by a superior ride by the wiz on the winner? I backed Yuro also and remember thinking Harvey had just had his pants pulled down.
    I was on Grand Journey for a good collect remember the race like yesterday Harvey drew 2 and got shunted 3 deep the entire with no cover and it still came at the winner on the line Wiz pulled GJ of the fence and pushed him even deeper at the 600m with out doubt the greatest carve up ive seen in a gr-1 race over here and on the same day in the KK Ponty rode a horse called Pegasi [i think Joe Byrne trained it went to HK after that ] last on the corner from a good alley got beat half length fair to say wasnt PJ Harveys best day in the saddle that horse Yuro never came back after that run ??? any wonder
  • RelampagoRelampago    279 posts
    T Turner slaughtering Free at Last in the Fruit and Veg....

Had heaps on as well as multiples (including Covertly from the Railway)!!!

Got told to go around every horse, no, get caught inside coming around the turn, flashes home for no luck!!!

Cost me a small fortune
    some times jocks are victims of circumstances.
    said:

Got told to go around every horse, no, get caught inside coming around the turn, flashes home for no luck!!!

Cost me a small fortune

I still remember TT ride on Free at Last in Melbourne i think it might have been the Turnball or Craiglee one of those gave it none and after that never rode it again still thought Free at Last was stiff in Crown Prosecutors cup came from well back then peaked on its run a young W Pike winning the cup
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Maybe dumbest drunken error might be a better thread.

It was on the Railway stakes a few years back when Snipers bullet won at about 20/1. I had him straight out on the tote for a very nice return and also put a 4 horse trifecta for $50 on him, Tarzi, Colour Correct and cant remember the fourth horse. Result was Sniper's Bullet, Tarzi and Colour Correct

Anyway as i was searching through my tickets after the race, found the win ticket - very happy :D ....found the tri ticket..had marked it wrong!!! :cry: i think he was number 2 and i had marked the ticket with number 1. Then that tri paid about $3000 and i would've had it 2 times...

The guy that i was standing next to said unless he was there to witness the stupidity he would never have believed i could be so dumb!!!!! Yeah that really helped to make me feel better..
    said:

Cost me a small fortune

Was just at his very best again was Troy the boy ahhhh 3 deep last no cover on the fav