G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 42 Non Members

Worst Bunbury Cup Day card ever featuring 5 X 10k Maidens!!!

West Australian Racing
AndrewCarterAndrewCarter    2,171 posts
edited November -1 West Australian Racing
What imbecile is responsible for this I thought the idea on your major racedays was to showcase the product.

Whoever is responsible for this should be lined up and shot as it's stupidity that is beyond belief.

Comments

• RhinoRhino    208 posts
    cup day cards at bunbury have been that way for years, just caters for the party crowd
  • AndrewCarterAndrewCarter    2,171 posts
    edited March 2012
    Never seen a Cup day card as poor as this one. You wouldn't bother watching any of them until the Cup.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,764 posts
    Bar the Cup.. Narrogin the previous day looks stronger (less maidens) :)
  • [DeletedUser][DeletedUser]    0 posts
    said:

Never seen e a Cup day card as poor as this one. You wouldn't bother watching any of them until the Cup.

I'm watching one. Then i'm going home 8)
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    thanks for the tip, wilson.
    finished counting your dosh? :lol:
    good on ya...hope the boys are having a few coldies tonite...unless they are still in the counting house.. :wink:
  • ThumperThumper    820 posts
    Anybody that follows racing regularly would know that a country cup meeting is simply a normal program with the cup included.
    That's rubbish Thumper in years gone by the Bunbury cup program was a good day's racing what they've served up this year is absolute rubbish.

Fine if you want to run maidens at least make them maidena people actually want to have a bet in by attracting some decent horses.

Instead of 5 x 10k maidens put on on two 25k maidens or three 20k maidens, then you will have trainers with a handy horse targeting those races and you should have some good betting as a result, the whole idea of racing is supposedly to generate turnover.

Whoever is responsible for that programming has zero idea and should hang their head in shame.

Who is responsible?
  • joneseejonesee    715 posts
    said:

Anybody that follows racing regularly would know that a country cup meeting is simply a normal program with the cup included.

Esperance Cup day had one maiden.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Melb Cup meeting is crapola.
    Don't hear anyone complaining about that
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    if you've got a maiden.....its mint! :wink:
  • tonytony    2,373 posts
    The only difference to last year's programme is the addition of one maiden at the expense of a 60+ 1200m race.

The 1200 race last year attracted 6 acceptances.
  • careycarey    6,369 posts
    said:

Melb Cup meeting is crapola.
    Don't hear anyone complaining about that

it certainly is, but the prizemoney for that crapola is not crap!
    it's actually a better standard these days compared to when i used to bet victoria, when they even ran highweights on the day
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    Not sure the 'average' Cup day punter would know the difference between a 10k maiden field and a 25k maiden field!

You may attract better runners, but I did some calculations last year and Belmont held a 2 x $10,000 16 horse maiden races and their individual turnovers were more than a $22,500 rating race with less runners.

Sure it makes betting for form anaylsis more difficult (and even maybe unattractive) but I'm sure those races (in context of the prizemoney on offer) will play their part on Cup Day.
  • TheSwooperTheSwooper    1,717 posts
    In my opinion, the fields on Melb Cup day have improved dramatically over the past few years.

In regards to Bunbury, know quite a few people who find it very difficult to get a start for their horse at the best of times so the more maidens on offer, the better. Just checked the fields sizes for Thurs and they are pretty good, especially considering they've raced down here the last two Sundays.
  • TheFunksterTheFunkster    3,840 posts
    said:

The only difference to last year's programme is the addition of one maiden at the expense of a 60+ 1200m race.

The 1200 race last year attracted 6 acceptances.

:lol:
    In the past the Melbourne cup day support card wasnt good Tivers in recent years it has been terrific and is now a very good betting medium.

There's no excuse for such a poor program on Bunbury Cup day and its rapid decline needs to be addressed, this years support card is totally unacceptable for what used to be one of the more eagerly anticipated race days on the WA calendar.

Maybe its about time given its standing as the second most important provincial cup that it becomes a stand alone Saturday race meeting with metropolitan stakes for all races, this would have the added bonus of giving Ascot a much needed rest in the lead up to the upcoming autumn carnival.