G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 22 Non Members

YEARLING SALE RORTS

Breeding
SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
edited December 2013 Breeding
Very interesting story in todays Herald Sun leading breeder David Moodie claims it is about time that yearling sales were cleaned up as it is full of rorts . Well I TOTALLY AGREE with him . This totally illegal practice of running up horses has to be STOPPED as it not is fair to the average buyer.
+1 -1

RIO likes this post.

Comments

• DaleDale    1,346 posts
    moodie has just employed a new manager with the intent of selling yearlings for the first time. The bloke has no time for mucking around and is intent on selling only premium product. if the horse has an issue on xrays that are done on farm before the sales it just wont be sold, he will race it himself with peter. Yes you need to put a reserve on them, but that should be as far as it goes. Plus its not like he needs the money, have you seen his farm? Contract racing....

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    Personally I find no harm at all in vendors declaring a reserve openly. In my dealings with genuine vendors who also know that I will be bidding, they have told me what the horse is on the market for. If I don't agree with that assessment I tell them and it gives them a chance to meet the market before the horse walks into the ring. If more people know what they can buy a lot for, then I believe you will have more people on it as they know that once that figure is surpassed, every bid is real and 'live'.

theketaminekid, Tivers likes this post.

• DaleDale    1,346 posts
    and we get bombarded by mm saying our graduates won 7 races in perth this W/E. Well big deal... no inglis here.If you look at the results over the last month there are more that were not offered at sales. 6 out of 8 today at pinjarra  were not offered at sales. i am really starting to think that its all just a waste of time and it would be easier to drive around the farms and buy them out of the paddock.

Tivers, SPUDLEY likes this post.

edited December 2013
    If you go down the road of private sales out of a paddock, you will only be dealing with most likely one customer at a time. The amount of marketing you will need to do to bring potential buyers to your door would be extraordinary as almost every horse would need an individual campaign  to make a sale occur.

The great thing about yearling sales, are that they bring a vast number of buyers together at one time in one location, and good stock as a result is rewarded with high selling prices because of competition. Complaints about sales prices are usually coming from those with inferior stock who haven't come to terms with them getting it wrong in terms of what the buying bench wanted.

I'm very sure Graham Daws is not complaining following his draft at the last Perth Premier Sale. He had the two top selling lots of the sale and sold 12 of the 13 in his draft for a total of $1,012,500.

Just have the right stock.
  • Piston_BrokePiston_Broke    2,047 posts
    Some vendors can be lucky, bit like winning lotto when an inexperienced agent looks at a yearling, wants to buy it then after bidding realizes he bought the wrong lot number  :-O

Dale likes this post.

Some vendors can be lucky, bit like winning lotto when an inexperienced agent looks at a yearling, wants to buy it then after bidding realizes he bought the wrong lot number  :-O

LOL