G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 7 Non Members

Glass Harmonium

Breeding
IntoItIntoIt    659 posts
edited May 2014 Breeding
Glass Harmonium standing at Blue Gum for $6600. Seems like pretty good value compared to some here in WA, especially for a first season sire, Know he had problems but they were publicised, unlike other stallions you only learn about after the fact.
+1 -1

RIO, Bondyjnr likes this post.

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    yeah i saw it discussed on Bred to Win and when they recounted its racing history.i was think that it'd suit over here..So when they announced the 6k service fee i was a bit surprised by how cheap it was.

Sounds like his owners have been very careful him by testing him as a private stallion last season due to the one nut situation and the question mark over his fertility.

But it also sounds like he is part of the family and i reckon we'd have absolutely no chance of getting him to leave the stud. let alone come over here.....But at 6k i reckon he'd be worth a throw at the stumps if your prepared to send your mare to him.

PuntingTragic dislikes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    The problem there is it costs you $26,000 not $6,000 (from here)

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    leave the mare over east and go Glass Harmonium and then Moysater, and bring the progeny back as yearlings......Not talking expected group winners........but maybe more competitive horses.

I had Helenus on the list as well, but realise that woudl be a bit hard to achieve!!!!!! Am sure there would be another suitable stallion over there to go too in a  3 year plan...

edited May 2014
    No offence to either, but I'm not going to pay $7k or $8k in transport, and $30 a day agistment for two years to go to GH and Moysater.

lame likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,683 posts
    Tivers said:

No offence to either, but I'm not going to pay $7k or $8k in transport, and $30 a day agistment for two years to go to GH and Moysater.

$20 per day at Victoria's leading Stud with around a dozen Stallions to choose from. You can just leave your mare there and if you are worried about Vet costs you can have a contract for services as well. To round things out they also prepare hundreds of yearlings for both sales and Trainers. If you ask nicely you can even get considerable financial discounts through your continued patronage for service fees.

I just got this month's agistment bills in again for stock here in WA, $26.40 per day plus GST. The care given is very good, but from a commercial perspective there are many plus's to going with a good mare to a more commercial environment.

So if it was up to me I would go to more commercial Stallions and being a WA Breeder then bring them home with Westspeed conditions fulfilled.

• IntoItIntoIt    659 posts

He was offered to at least one stud here but they didnt want him  because of his "issues". Shame they didnt test the market here first, may have been surprised.

'

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited May 2014

The difference for us cheque book owners Tivers is that we pay out that much regularly.

I can see how it'd be a bitter pill for people who breed their own and care for their own.. but for a bred to run owner like myself it may put an extra $3 to 4k on the yearly bill, but with a chance to get a better bred animal..

Also for a commercial breeder if you were going to go to the expense of leaving the horse over there, I'd be guessing there are significantly more appealing stallions around the $20-40k mark that I'd be going to before this first season sire that may have a few issues..

Oh and I wouldn't have either stallion on my must have list, but they are priced nice and would add to some WA type horses...Like I say not group targeted types.. And to get a 2 yr old back here broken and ready to be tested for 30-40k is similar to what it costs for a locally bought or bred one anyway..

That's all I'm saying, yes - Damo, Rio etc
    If going to go to the expense of going over there (and especially staying for a year plus) then I'd choose to spend a bit extra on the cover (which is bugger all extra in the whole)
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

I was only dreaming out aloud, as I know a few people who have sent their mares over and run them to 3 or 4 stallions on the one farm and bring the foals back... All in a similar position to me where they pay someone 52 weeks of the year to tend their horses.

Sorry to get a bit sidetracked - as I liked what I heard about GH and Mrs Rio and I are suckers for any chance of a grey horse, and one of the reason we've considered Snug for our next service...But if I had a mare on the east coast and the foal was born over there could I bring it back to WA and have it registered for Westspeed?

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,683 posts
    RIO said:

I was only dreaming out aloud, as I know a few people who have sent their mares over and run them to 3 or 4 stallions on the one farm and bring the foals back... All in a similar position to me where they pay someone 52 weeks of the year to tend their horses.

Sorry to get a bit sidetracked - as I liked what I heard about GH and Mrs Rio and I are suckers for any chance of a grey horse, and one of the reason we've considered Snug for our next service...But if I had a mare on the east coast and the foal was born over there could I bring it back to WA and have it registered for Westspeed?

Yes

Dash For Cash is grey