G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members
IntoItIntoIt    659 posts
edited August 2014 West Australian Racing

I'm going to come at this from a different angle.

I couldnt give a rats about what price she started at, But from a pr excercise Perth Racing missed an opportunity to promote this race for a little honest mare going for her 9? straight win, Only one other horse in Aus doing it in aus this year. 

Some are for the punt. A lot enjoy the animal! When given the opportunity. Aka BC.

Sad it was spoilt.

Comments

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    I think Smoko was the drawcard and he didn't disappoint.

Thoroly_Bread, Legless likes this post.

• IntoItIntoIt    659 posts
    Thats for the purists, but the public woudlve warmed more to a little grey mare ridden by Lucy.
    edited August 2014
    Smoko could well be destined to race over east. I would have thought promoting the chance to see him in his own backyard would be where the marketing should be focused. I'm not sure Lucciola will ever progress to listed level success. Go and watch a replay of Barakey's win in the Winterbottom and listen to the crowd as he crosses the line. That's what gets people to the track, not a ratings class horse on a winning streak as good as the winning sequence was.

Thoroly_Bread likes this post.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    Into It said:

Thats for the purists, but the public woudlve warmed more to a little grey mare ridden by Lucy.

Might be going the crow a bit early - won a few old class 3s - has competed in only 2 true Sat races - won one of them carrying 53kg's and got toweled up carrying 56

therealkramer likes this post.

What , do you reckon the general public is going to care , let alone understand class of races? You want bums on seats...

Just my humble opinion.

Into It said:

What , do you reckon the general public is going to care , let alone understand class of races? You want bums on seats...

Just my humble opinion.

I think the racing public is not as stupid as you might believe. They know the difference between a good horse and a great horse. Smoko was the headline act, Lucciola was an interesting minor support act which appeals to sentimentality. How many of those who went to see Lucciola would back up to see her next start after she finished last? Now ask yourself how many will be back to see Smoko?
  • justrandomjustrandom    222 posts
    I agree Perth racing needs to promote things like this more.
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited August 2014
    you have a fair point though @Into It - would have taken very little effort to promote both the redhot smoko and WA's current equal record holder -
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,683 posts
    Smoko's standing as a horse to be promoted, will only be enhanced by going East. The most recent horse of any standing, Barakey, wouldn't have accounted for a single person extra through the gates as he racked up eleven wins in a row. That would have paled by comparison if he had won the Newmarket at Flemington.

Mediocre racing through the grades in Perth is just that, mediocre.

westundies likes this post.

• magoo83magoo83    969 posts
    Even the "top line" racing here is mediocre,

RIO likes this post.

You have become an elitist Damien.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    smoko might, just might, snare a listed country sprint in Victoria.....

SHOVHOG likes this post.

• DownTheBackDownTheBack    96 posts
    Smoko beat rubbish the other day
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts

Smoko beat rubbish the other day

All bar the Winterbottom Barakey beat rubbish every start 

Thoroly_Bread likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    Boys they're to busy coming up with things like superheros and villains days which might bring people there to get on the piss one day a year than to promote the actual product i.e. the horses which go on week in week out.

What i was trying to get at Gilgamesh, but it needs to be well managed, not just seen as a betting medium. Wouldnt suit the connections.