Race 5- Aristocratic Glow
Race 6- Machtu
Race 7- Bettors Fire
Race 8- Authorized
Race 9- Harriet Elisabeth
Race 10- Giuliana Rancic

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,677 posts
    And a $75 winner to start the night off....followed by a $1.40 shorty. Won't be risking the rent money tonight, just observing.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    could not tell you when I last bet on the "crims on rims".......its a fair dinkum mugs game.
    A bit harsh ......inferring they are all saints in Turfland???
    not at all jay...but the trots take the cake...
    Of course, to each his own.....I've lived and breathed the Red Hots all my life, probably explains my poverty. As kids, the horses got new shoes before we did. The toughness and longevity of the Standardbred is a lot of what sways me....the romanticism of champions able to race for a decade or more...and in my view, a far more placid and tractable animal. And the ability of the family bred, family owned, family trained and sometimes family driven horse taking on the big guys. Yes, there are/have been rogues aplenty .....all that is true and I am not a denier but the stories endure....Many think all that romantic rot is in fact .....romantic rot.....but its my romantic rot. Love the history of the trots (and the gallops as well) but I guess we are all influenced by our life experiences.

thefalcon likes this post.

great post, jayjay....yes there are great trotting stories, those memories must be precious to you...and no bas*ard can take them away.... =D>

JayJay likes this post.

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,281 posts
    One does have to laugh JJ when we get the occasional gallops fanatic who pops up into the trots topics to offer nothing but a they are all "red hots" or "crims on rims" type statements as if everyone involved with the gallops are all "Mother Theresa" types which I am sure we all know by personal experience is so far from the case it isnt funny!!  :-O
    One thing they cannot deny is the lack of decent WA gallopers on the national scale over my time the last 40 years or so that they have had compared to the pacers over the same timeframe & ironically enough the best of them was trained by a trotting bloke!! 
    ;))

JayJay, TheDarkHorse likes this post.

Yes VK, national profile of WA champs has been great over the years, nothing like a bit of "parochialism" to get hero status for taking on the "Eastern Staters" - I don't subscribe to that Eastern State bashing rubbish but it sells papers and builds status haha. I also stand and cheer when Placid Ark, Miss Andretti, Northerly or going way back,  Aquinita, salute over East. Trotting trainers were historically considered second class citizens by the toffs of the Turf Club if you remember the dual license argument that went on for decades. The Trotting folk were far more prepared to push forward on the mindless hypocrisy that decreed that you weren't a real horseman and that allowing these lesser citizens would poison the ranks of those born to rule (and train). To train gallopers, you had to hand in your Trotting licences and my hats off to those that fought the good fight, FRK being at the forefront of that push way back in the 70's. Going way back, Ian Garrow switched codes and many are now dual licenced and having an impact like J T Warwick. I also think Gai fought a good fight to gain recognition for spouses as individuals in their own rights - credit where credit due. Over my years, the one thing that irks me totally is hypocrisy of any form and a horseman is a horseman, either in the saddle or the cart, with a thoroughbred or a Clydesdale and at Ascot or at the Trayning Trots.