G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 16 Non Members

Pacing Cup and Bendigo Cup

Harness & Greyhounds
JayJayJayJay    7,677 posts
edited January 2015 Harness & Greyhounds
Love talking up the WA Pacing Cup as its has great history and significance but be it the tyranny of distance or aircraft travel restrictions, it suffers by comparison with the Group 2 Bendigo Cup this weekend. Granted it is an interesting race, especially given the draw of David Hercules in 11 at a 10/9 0n favourite, Christen Me v Beautide is a far more salivating prospect. For mine, the Pacing Cup has lost its way....no qualifying heats or preludes, even though some earlier events gave automatic entry, the "carnival" effect and build up are missing and with absolute respect, its a pretty ordinary gathering for our premier race. I am sure a big crowd will turn up but there seems to be less depth and even less excitement about this years version. They have fiddled with the formula over the years and its lost its way.  In years past, you would have Philadelphia Man, Christem Me, Beautide, Adore Me, Guarenteed etc etc being courted, coerced, tempted or whatever to be in Perth for the Summer Carnival. What we have Friday Night is a 2900m FFA for local horses, some of whom have absolutely no chance of winning. It's not really a group 1 race anymore, not even close.

Comments

• G-MacG-Mac    1,573 posts

Currently a victim of timing JJ. In Victoria there are several good quality country cups leading into 2 x $400k group one races. These then lead seemlessly into the Interdomnion on the first Sunday in March.

Next season, with Perth hosting the ID series in November/December should see a change to that. The Fremantle and WA Cups can be rescheduled as an entree or dessert to the ID and should see more of the GC class participate.

But I agree, this weekend I am more interested in the Bendigo Cup.

JayJay likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,677 posts
    Agree with bot of you GMac and Linc - well put. I am probably living in the past - M6 in the old days was a 2.16 class and Cups and FFA were for 2.13 or better . An M2,3,4, 5 or 6 wouldn't qualify and the lead up races were always interesting as everyone raced their horses through the classes to try and get a guernsey in the Cup. And there would be a consolation for those who got balloted. Think those days are gone. Pretty poor old Cup field when you think about. Will still be an interesting race but very few genuine chances.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    Dont forget we have drop backs now guys (which I dont agree with) so the M class may not represent true metro wins