G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 42 Non Members
It’s with great sadness that I notify all regular posters on this website that Noel Hughes (Curmudgeon) passed away over night.

Noel was a great character, proud father, grandfather and friend to many.

He will be missed.

Rest In Peace Noel

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Yes, I heard earlier today Matt. Awful news, Noel was astute and a loyal foot soldier for common sense and Country Harness Racing. I will greatly miss our race night chats at the Water Truck at Northam and our conversations on Messenger. Salt of the earth.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    Terribly sad news - and will be missed on this forum 

Someone should put up one of San Simeons great wins - because that was the horse he was involved with 

cisco, VillageKid, G-Mac, Arapaho likes this post.

I was at Northam when Big Bang Theory bolted in at its first race start as a 2yo for Noel, ran 2nd later in the Champagne Classic? or similar, $50k race, to David Hercules. Nice horse. He won a bunch of races with a Woodlea  horse, Woodlea Rains (I'll check later), several in town and one of those big $10k Kal races over a mile. Was very excited about his Franco Nelson colt that he bred and was breaking in very nicely. Pretty dab hand at Track Curating as well. Will be missed in many ways.
  • PackedMetalPandaPackedMetalPanda    166 posts
    JayJay said:

I was at Northam when Big Bang Theory bolted in at its first race start as a 2yo for Noel, ran 2nd later in the Champagne Classic? or similar, $50k race, to David Hercules. Nice horse. He won a bunch of races with a Woodlea  horse, Woodlea Rains (I'll check later), several in town and one of those big $10k Kal races over a mile. Was very excited about his Franco Nelson colt that he bred and was breaking in very nicely. Pretty dab hand at Track Curating as well. Will be missed in many ways.

I said to David today that they should name the Franco Nelson colt “Curmudgeon”
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    207 posts
    Ablsute shock,when I was a kid Hughesy had the stables in front of my dads on course at kal,was always great to our family always happy to help when I had a horse question and was a great supporter when I started driving,I remember vividly he was the second person to shake my hand after my dad when I drove my first winner.fantastic person who will be missed.
    Sadly, no fairy tale finish for Noel (and Helen) at Kellerberrin today, his horse Roll Your Own beaten a whisker in the 2nd race. But he gave it a good try and a sentimental each way was a nice send off at $6 bucks the place. Travel well old mate.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    May i be rude enough to ask what actually happened 

I had noticed that he hadnt posted for the previous 5-6 weeks approx- i just thought he may be having a spell from the forum - but i was quite surprised he didnt post - re the aftermath of that $1 million race - where just about everybody else  did

Thus did he get a sudden illness - or stroke or what happened 

Like i heard in one of Pandas race calls not long back at Northam-he mentioned Curmudge midrace re the Curator of the Northam  track - so you would think all was good at that point - and that was only 6-8 weeks ago .

Pretty befitting that on Noel Hughes Tribute Night at Northam, his horse Rollyourown gets the win in the last for Helen and Hayden Charles, the Track Curators Pace. Good night for a lot of his friends, a few winning winning races at both Keller last week and at Northam tonight. The Old Curmudgeon, having the last word as always. Very sadly missed.