G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 13 Non Members

New Metro Programming

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,680 posts
    To be fair, changes to scheduling was done before Cameron Brown started.

Forgot to add that all 4 of the above races were GS L 1. Probably excellent for the big all up punters with the corporates but the broad base of "run of the mill" punters that have deserted the industry are probably gone forever.

LightningJake dislikes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,745 posts
    JayJay said:

To be fair, changes to scheduling was done before Cameron Brown started.

Forgot to add that all 4 of the above races were GS L 1. Probably excellent for the big all up punters with the corporates but the broad base of "run of the mill" punters that have deserted the industry are probably gone forever.
    Yes before he came but still who he is representing.

That last race was so slow it was borderline dangerous.
  • warrenrobinsonwarrenrobinson    92 posts
    No handicap no turnover no future, Northam Cup tonight great handicap race.

Arapaho, Betonme, savethegame, JayJay likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    211 posts

It terms of a spectacle, always feel that the Fremantle cup and AG Hunter Cup, lost a bit of sparkle when they went to mobiles.

• AbbysAceAbbysAce    569 posts
    How many free for all horses are in WA?

Racing and Spelling in Total?
    Probably as many as want to nominate for the FFA programed each week ..... including those who wish to race out of their class or level. For example, from Friday Nights 6 horse FFA, Cordero is a Level 12, Thomson Bay is a level 13 and Sugar Apple is a level 9, and Talks Up A Storm is now a level 15 after last nights win. Galactic Star and Vultan Tin are the genuine article of course, Level 15's.

I am not trying to be obtuse or a smartarse here but the question is really how many Level 15 horses do we have?  I, rightly or wrongly, think of level 15 horses as Free For All or Cup horses. I can't see why the level is capped at L15 or at 120 in the NR. There was no "cap" on assessment when things were going light years better than they are now.

The issue for horses starting out of their class/up in class is that they can't drop back until they have done the mandatory 5 non winning runs in the highest class that they last raced.
    When the Diego, JJMac, Wildwest, Mighty Ronaldo, Lavra Joe, Magnificent Storm, Shockwave types come back to racing, then (said with the greatest of respect) the second tier free for all horses will be doing everything to dodge the top liners....options are a spell or North America or level 14 Conditioned race..... or heaven forbid, because they have been magnificent campaigners, retirement for the likes of great warriors such as Galactic Star and Vultan Tin??

I think I have that right but open to correction. Either way, given the rules as they are, I would not expect full free for all fields to be a realistic expectation moving forward.

LightningJake likes this post.

Morning, I did bring it to the Harness Office attention a couple of years ago why cap HWOE at L15 as it was misleading, a horse with 100k earnings has the same L as a horse winning 200k and above ( dumb). FFA should be for L15 plus only and with proper programming horses can work towards rising to that level. FFA means RBD.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,914 posts
    Betonme said:

It terms of a spectacle, always feel that the Fremantle cup and AG Hunter Cup, lost a bit of sparkle when they went to mobiles.

See this is the problem with alot of posters - they want a perfect world , a make believe world , and of course they can do no wrong and are allways right - and the administrators   who have to make very hard and important  decisions well they are are fair game 

The indisputable facts about the AG Hunter Cup when it was last run as a standing start it was a debacle , a farce , a disgrace 

To put a WA slant on it , imagine Im The Mighty Quinn misses the kick by 150 metres , another couple rear at the start , both Preaux Chevalier and and Pure Steel are knocked over and are 100 metres awway . 5-6 were out of business after the start

They are the facts , so the administrators of Vic Harness Racing are under huge pressure , their number one race on the calendar and it is totally wrecked 

After that shocking display , they made the decision, we cant risk it in future , thus we are switching it to a mobile , and i think given all the facts/circumsatances that was an excellent decision 

FRK - great horseman and all the rest of it , yes the key board warriors will say he wanted 9 accross a single row front , but the 1st thing he said about 30 years publicly - it made the papers etc , get rid of those horrible standing starts , they are a disaster for Trotting 

You look at Bussleton it fills a void with the holiday makers etc so all good , but any reasonable punter - and ive put fair $ amounts on Pacers , but never with Standing Starts . If you want to win gambling you have to reduce the variables as much as possible , and standing starts you dont know what is going to happen , eg That AG Hunter Cup total debacle 

But the dreamers in their make believe world they love Standing Starts , maybe they can $10 e/w on something because thats all they should be risking

JimmyPop likes this post.

LightningJake dislikes this post.

A interesting fact is that when harness racing had standing starts the turnover matched thoroughbred racing. I have no dislike for the mobile it’s the way we use it no handicap.

The problem with standing starts is you can have shocking debacles 

Watching and betting on the Maryborough Trots today 

Previous race was the 12k was the Wedderburn Trotters Cup - seasoned horses - front - 10 metres - 20 metres - 30 metres - the race ran 15 minutes  late 

1st attempt they circled them for 4 minutes - no gear adjustments they just couldnt get a perfect line - horses facing the wrong way - then it was a false start - a tape didnt release - half of them stood their 

Rinse and repeat - another 4-5 minutes for attempt number 2 - which again deemed a false start 

Then the 3rd attempt which was a start - well of course the 7 to 4 fave it misses the start by 120 metres - and the punters who backed it are out of business

And of course the winner of the race  - to rub it right into the fave punters was Alfords horse who played up and continually wanted to face the wrong way -  but it did step at attempt 3

JimmyPop likes this post.

"The Indisputable facts about the Hunter Cup when it was last run as a standing start it was a debacle, a farce, a disgrace".

Hunter Cup 2016:

JayJay said:

"The Indisputable facts about the Hunter Cup when it was last run as a standing start it was a debacle, a farce, a disgrace".

Hunter Cup 2016:

You are allways a point scorer mate - and you dont like other giving views  contrary to yours 

And of course you have to check your records - well have a look around that period mate  and there was a disastrous AG Hunter - re horses going everywhere at the start 
    You just make stuff up, fake facts, Marko facts, very rarely with even the faintest connection to reality.

You stated "the last time it was run as a standing start", not me. I posted the last time it was run as a standing start. That's not point scoring, that is facts.

I love seeing contrary views...provided they are not just concocted clickbait.
    edited January 28
    Stick to what you do best  mate - and that is cheating and ruining quizzes

John Rogers and Garth Hoy and you just happened to get both of them - well buy a ticket in the $200 million jackpot lotto - because youd have about as much  chance of winning that - as picking those 2 nobodys 

Tell us all how you did that mate ?

I go off memory - anyone can look up the internet 

FRK hated SS - he was clear and precise on his views on SS - and i agree with him 
    Markovina said:

Stick to what you do best  mate - and that is cheating and ruining quizzes

John Rogers and Garth Hoy and you just happened to get both of them - well buy a ticket in the $200 million jackpot lotto - because youd have about as much  chance of winning that - as picking those 2 nobodys 

Tell us all how you did that mate ?

I go off memory - anyone can look up the internet 

FRK hated SS - he was clear and precise on his views on SS - and i agree with him 

Markovina said:

JayJay said:

Hunter Cup 2016:

You are allways a point scorer mate - and you dont like other giving views  contrary to yours 

And of course you have to check your records - well have a look around that period mate  and there was a disastrous AG Hunter - re horses going everywhere at the start 

Imagine thinking it was a reasonable idea to check what you were saying was correct before saying it was a bad idea.

Although i must say it is very hard to be wrong if what actually happened is of no significance to your "facts".
    Markovina said:

Betonme said:

See this is the problem with alot of posters - they want a perfect world , a make believe world , and of course they can do no wrong and are allways right - and the administrators   who have to make very hard and important  decisions well they are are fair game 

The indisputable facts about the AG Hunter Cup when it was last run as a standing start it was a debacle , a farce , a disgrace 

To put a WA slant on it , imagine Im The Mighty Quinn misses the kick by 150 metres , another couple rear at the start , both Preaux Chevalier and and Pure Steel are knocked over and are 100 metres awway . 5-6 were out of business after the start

They are the facts , so the administrators of Vic Harness Racing are under huge pressure , their number one race on the calendar and it is totally wrecked 

After that shocking display , they made the decision, we cant risk it in future , thus we are switching it to a mobile , and i think given all the facts/circumsatances that was an excellent decision 

FRK - great horseman and all the rest of it , yes the key board warriors will say he wanted 9 accross a single row front , but the 1st thing he said about 30 years publicly - it made the papers etc , get rid of those horrible standing starts , they are a disaster for Trotting 

You look at Bussleton it fills a void with the holiday makers etc so all good , but any reasonable punter - and ive put fair $ amounts on Pacers , but never with Standing Starts . If you want to win gambling you have to reduce the variables as much as possible , and standing starts you dont know what is going to happen , eg That AG Hunter Cup total debacle 

But the dreamers in their make believe world they love Standing Starts , maybe they can $10 e/w on something because thats all they should be risking

The $10EW punter is the one that those in charge are trying to lure back, the ones who are by and large doing it for an entertainment basis. That's what these ideas like the 1100m races at Pinj are about, somehow they see people punting on dogs and think punters want it over quickly but i would suggests they more just want a contest.

You get 5000 punters across the pubs and clubs of Australia having 10ew on your product of an afternoon and suddenly you have a decent hold.
    FRK not sure what legacy he left harness racing
    Precisely...the $10EW punters are the ones who have deserted harness in their droves because the product is awful. Bland. Beige. Predictable. Cop the last 4 races at GP Friday Night, all GS L 1, all seriously odds on, 23 horses in 4 races for $100k in stakes and dreadful turnover. (Tabtouch only, I know, but the win pool on race 9 under $3K) And the race featured a $200k stake earner from gate 1 against 3 modest winners and a maiden, for a total of 5 runners and $21k in stakes?

The big punters who love their all ups...the $1.30 into the $1.20 into the $1.50.....are loving the predictability of the product...but the 10EW Pub Tab punter says nope, a mystery tri on the dogs is the go. They are the ones we have lost and maybe, just maybe, a few more handicapped stands on the program may help get them back....along with restoration of some past classics to the stands. I see heat racing is back on the agenda for teh upcoming WESTBRED 2 and 3 year old race night that is being put together for later in the year. A bit of variety. I applaud that move.

VillageKid, LightningJake likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,808 posts

IMO outside personal achievements.---, Very little was a non conformist refused to alter his whip action, like to know how many times he was fined plus warnings when most drivers were trying to change -- anti drug testing Wanted 10 drivers allowed to drive in city eight runners per race. Anti S Starts, had said when sprint lane was first introduced in Kalgoorlie he would find it hard not to cut the person off if he looked like losing a big race,worry about it in Stewards room later
    Ive heard it all now -  the $10 e/w punter are going to save harness racing !!!!

You want big punters , end of story 

Yes GP is one dimensional terrible  racing thats why i want a bigger track

You only have to look at the harness racing at Marborough today , fantastic stuff , and i only backed multiple 2nds so not talking out of my pocket 

But leaders can hit the brick wall and finish 30 metres off the placegetters , and horses well  back in the run , can come with well timed runs and win 

Thats what a 1000 metre brilliantly cambered track allows , and for a punter like me , that gives me full confidence to bet their
  • Chopchop43Chopchop43    161 posts
    Markovina said:

Betonme said:

you can have your say without having to bring other posters into it you know
  • Chopchop43Chopchop43    161 posts
    Also went to the Hunter Cup where blacks a fake won off 30m at the Valley and what a spectacle that was, why they changed that race and the Fremantle Cup to mobile races is just ridiculous
    The best race in the world NZ Cup standing start
  • FrogFrog    24 posts
    GP needs 2 standing starts every Friday night, country front 2100 mts , city class 2500 mts. Both would be full fields and would be great racing. We cant keep 5/6/7/ horse fields when most winners are all cleared on a Wednesday. When horses are backed from $3+ into $1.50 or less. Why do the form at GP  when its planned by Wednesday dinner. Just join in ??? To bet at GP  there needs to be a back line.

• FrogFrog    24 posts
    LIKE , this GP Friday 76 noms 9 races, Northam 156 noms 7 races, but Rwwa only budget for 7 races for were everyone needs to race and use the turnover figures against them. Seems like the Wednesday lunch all over again. Bunbury should be racing every Wednesday as SKY said every race on SKY 1 but no we will fix the lights and race at late nights on SKY 2 so the turnover goes down. There is no hpoe for the hard working country clubs. All is in favour to GP and Pinjarra. Maybe Pinjarra should of changed to every Wednesday mornings with Sky 1 for all races alnd with metro Gallop meetings.
    Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

Betonme said:

The $10EW punter is the one that those in charge are trying to lure back, the ones who are by and large doing it for an entertainment basis. That's what these ideas like the 1100m races at Pinj are about, somehow they see people punting on dogs and think punters want it over quickly but i would suggests they more just want a contest.

You get 5000 punters across the pubs and clubs of Australia having 10ew on your product of an afternoon and suddenly you have a decent hold.
    "You get 5000 punters in pubs and clubs having $10 e/w and suddenly you have a decent hold " 

What a load of theoretical nonsense , go and join Paulines ratbag party , you can be their Treasury spokeman, what did Pauline say - we will have a 2% flat tax rate for everyone - and that will fund  hospitals , schools  roads and bridges , the same stupid logic 

You need big punters , who bet serious money on your product - end of debate 

I can understand the frustration of posters like Frog - who want a couple of stands at GP - so at least you can have a bet , because the racing is utter one dimensional shiit on that 800 metre goat track at GP ,  but 2 wrongs dont make a right 

I heard Mick Malthouse a couple of years back - each Sat morning he was a presenter  for a couple of years on ABC Sat sportstalk show , and he said when he was coaching Coll - the president would come to him later in the week and say , Mick we dont care what utter shiit style we play, we dont care how horrible it is to view/watch , all  we are interested in Mick is the win - the 4 pts 

And thats exactly the problem on that utter shocking 800 metres GP track , youve got trainers like Hally and Rocket , they couldnt care less how utter shiit , one dimensional total rubbish the racing is at GP , all they are interested in , is winning races , and they are winning plenty of them

• sonnysonny    1,086 posts
    I go to the Mt Henry Tavern once a month on a Friday Afternoon  (with my wife)for a Kent St. reunion.. I go to the pubtab and watch races which I have had a bet on... The punters in there rarely back trotting races but throw their $10/20 on the dogs and mystery tris.. They dont know the dogs or gallops names but cheer the numbers home.. As Gilga mentioned harness racing need these punters...My Thoughts..

JayJay, Chopchop43, LightningJake likes this post.

Harness needs punters big & small, itynot all about fillet steak we need the mince & sausages

Correct Sonny, we have the "big punters", we are told that upwards of 80% of Friday Night GP turnover originates from the Eastern States. So plenty of eye fillet on the menu but the mince and sausages not to be seen. 

It is the same in the Manji Pub Tab....young and old, they totally ignore the trots. One look at the screen and #1 at GP is a $1.14, straight to the dogs they go.

Hot off the press from Paulines Treasury Spokesperson...... 5000 times 10EW is an extra $100k to a Tabtouch handle that battles to make $400k on a Friday Night and that is if they only bet on 1 race.

warrenrobinson, LightningJake likes this post.

IMO outside personal achievements.---, Very little was a non conformist refused to alter his whip action, like to know how many times he was fined plus warnings when most drivers were trying to change -- anti drug testing Wanted 10 drivers allowed to drive in city eight runners per race. Anti S Starts, had said when sprint lane was first introduced in Kalgoorlie he would find it hard not to cut the person off if he looked like losing a big race,worry about it in Stewards room later
    Sorry mate - but that is utter tripe re Fred K , and you are quite fortunate that you posted that rubbish and not me 

Because if i had posted that - Jay Jay would have hit me with a ton of bricks , but this forum i know how it works , the little purple circle group , you know VK  - Gilga , Jay Jay , any of them can post utter shiit , and they wont be criticised under any circumstances by their little group - they havent got the guts to do it

But Fred K - i went to GP every week and all country meetings , how i would describe Fred as a driver , he was a Gentleman , he respected other peoples horses , he wasnt into the push and shove at all . And that ridiculous unsafe push out rule back then was 10 times worse , because a horse could lead the 3 wide train at the bell and you could still push out , so it ended up 4-5 wide- but after a fight/contest  , it was like dodgem cars 

A modern day driver who reminds me very much of Fred - is Grant Dixon of QLD - just like Fred he has quality horses , but he is not into the push and shove , he doesnt drive horses like his life is riding on it , if they are good enough they win , which is often , and that is exactly how Fred drove