G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Steven Shinn Sacking

Harness & Greyhounds
slipatiptomeslipatiptome    3,351 posts
edited November -1 Harness & Greyhounds
A MEMBER of one of Australia's most famous horseracing families claims he has been sacked from a senior trotting job because he is gay.

Internationally renowned harness racing driver Steven Shinn who won the prestigious Kilmore Cup in 1976 with legendary WA pacer Pure Steel has taken action against Racing and Wagering WA for allegedly unfairly dismissing him in November.

Sacked allegedly because staff members didn't want to work with him.

Could be a case of being sacked with gay abandon.

Comments

• kanekane    46 posts
    going to side with the stewards here everyone's big thing is fairness in all codes we want one set of rules and everyone being treated equal here was a man who was not a fair steward the night in question of when the incident took place was at northam, the previous day mr shinn had imposed a penalty on a horse which was fine but at northam he wanted to give out a different penalty for the exact same incident another steward told him you cant do that and mr shinn virtually read the kid his rights and told him to sit in the car like a school kid.

it's hard to believe the incident was brought on because of his sexuality if this was the case then RWWA would of sacked a few other people in there department the simplicity of the case if mr shinn had been warned before for something similar and he's simply tryin to make a buck out of an industry struggling
  • ollie18ollie18    2 posts
    I suggest you get a current copy of the RWWA Harness rule book and read rule 15 part c.
    Steve was within his rights as chairman of the meeting that night at Northam to stand down ANY official under that rule.
    As for the penalty imposed on the horse in question it is up to the stewards panels discretion on the night however they always try to be consistent all though it may not appear to be so.
    EX STEWARD
  • slipatiptomeslipatiptome    3,351 posts
    Good to see Ollie & Kane come out of the 'Readers Closet' to join us and both with interesting opinions to offer on the topic. Good start.
  • kanekane    46 posts
    sorry ollie im only speaking from what was said in the paper which said that he could stand someone down but he had to have notified higher personal in which he hadnt done hence why he broke the rule you mentioned but the papers are quite often lying so im sure you are right im not here to attack steve personally i dont care about his personal life im just having MY OPINION and i do believe RWWA did do the right thing to better the industry and that he gave them no real choice and i guess a fair few people agree with MY OPINION cause for the 100 people who signed the said petition there were many many others who declined politely
  • loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    Must think that he has a fairly good case against RWWA as has pretty strong counsel
    And Tom Percy providing the service Pro Bono... that would be a rarity surely?
  • RazorSharpRazorSharp    439 posts
    said:

I suggest you get a current copy of the RWWA Harness rule book and read rule 15 part c.
    Steve was within his rights as chairman of the meeting that night at Northam to stand down ANY official under that rule.
    As for the penalty imposed on the horse in question it is up to the stewards panels discretion on the night however they always try to be consistent all though it may not appear to be so.
    EX STEWARD

is Ollie related to Oliveira?
    said:

is Ollie related to Oliveira?

Stan and Ollie. :)
  • ollie18ollie18    2 posts
    no fellas barking up the wrong tree there.
    I was referring to Laurel & Hardy.
  • darkshinesdarkshines    2,837 posts
    Just throwing it out there - the 100 who signed the petition are actually indifferent about the plight of SS, they just have axes to grind with the ones who turfed him?