G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 33 Non Members

A Reminder of the Highs and Lows

Harness & Greyhounds
The Harness Industry, perhaps more-so than our thoroughbred
cousins, was built on a hobby trainer/hobby breeder/small owner basis.
Am pretty sure most on these sites (except the profoundly ignorant)
would be aware of the highs and lows of engaging in the Industry at any
level but this week has confirmed the age old adage "if you haven't
experienced disappointment in your life, bet on horses" but if you
really want to experience misery on a grander level, try owning,
breeding or training one.

Old mate who breeds a
couple down here had a beautiful colt to a mare of top blood last
year....it was still born. Perfectly formed, fully conditioned mare and
foal, just born dead. This year, out popped a lovely colt that is
running around like a spring lamb, born on Monday but a good thing they
stayed up all night to assist with a difficult foaling. Facebook is full
of requests for foster Mums at this time of the year. Many foalings go
wrong.

Another old pal took his race winning
Alta Christiano mare to the foal down centre last week in foal to a top sire....she looked
magnificent, shiny as a top, traveled up beautifully even under my dodgy
float driving, every one happy. Produced a dead foal this
morning....somehow, an infection of the placenta reduced nourishment
flow to the foal in the last 4 weeks, impossible to detect. He will try
again for next year but is running out of years and his kids are not
interested at all.

One of my horses had to be scratched
last week with filling nearside fore, scanned, has blown a hole in his
suspensory ligament.....future unknown but guaranteed it won't be in a
pet food can, he is off to 12 months rehab on Friday. I've got a decent
mare about 10 days off foaling to Tribeca .....I've got more things
crossed than I care to look at. I am dreading the phone call from the
foaling centre.

I've got one that can run but
his feet are as soft as butter.....the most you get out of him is about 7
runs before he has to have a break. And another that can also run is
rehabbing off a cracked pedal bone. Barrel of laughs this ownership
caper. Explains why some of us get a bit short when some uninformed
couch sitter starts throwing pies at existing participants, themselves
having never owned anything more than a second hand tail hair.

Another
local owner breeds a couple and had a couple of decent ones......bit
the bullet a few years back and shelled out a 12 grand service fee, got a
nice colt, broke it in, educated it......had multiple trainers and was
still a maiden. Sold it on......its won 3 so far this season.
All
this and we are racing for about a 5th or a 6th or even less of what
the thoroughbreds go around for and yet the costs of feed, shoes etc are
the same.
Which is why I feel somewhat nauseous when I hear
Industry figures and media airheads spruke ownership and breeding one or
two as a rewarding and fruitful exercise. For most, it is nothing of
the sort.

Comments

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Apologies for formatting....the site went down as I was putting the above together and when I re posted from my draft, it came out like that.
  • sonnysonny    1,079 posts
    Great Post JJ.. As a punter I experience great highs and lows also and thats not to belittle your post..

JayJay likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    We have a couple with terrible feet and its seriously heartbreaking. It seems such a simple thing but no feet no horse. They wont try in that last 50-100 meters no matter how much you pray that they will *this* time but they are so so hard to fix :(
    So because I hope maybe we can trade ideas... have you tried flipflops. And soaking feet in iodine?
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Its a shithouse game being an owner. Case in point Jack Mac. Faced lung infection and whacked his leg before the Derby, not fit enough in 1st 4yo race, won the next, broken pedal/coffin bone in Nugget prelude, out for 2.5years, we did everything right. Spent months at vet, rehabbed him for months, took care of him and guided him along in cotton wool. Trialed excellent, nominated to race the friday at GP. Sunday night a guy we had working for us left a stable door ajar, horse gets out, kicks him in leg through the fence. Hematoma on bone, we nurse and nurse, swelling goes up and down and up and down. Get it xrayed and scanned and no damage. No lameness, keeps trying his heart out but something seems off with the leg. Take him up again for a scan and the kick has damaged his suspensory :( :( out for another year.
    Yes and yes, to both flip flops (Neighlor raced in them his whole career) and Iodine with Castor Oil is currently being applied daily to Ossie, consulting the legend L.J.Robinson, bar shoes, trying everything known to man and horse.
    Was wondering what happened to Jack Mac, serious horse and seemingly overloaded with rotten luck. It is probably not a truism at all, one for the peddlers of miss-truth, but it does seem that slow ones lead a charmed life and never get injured, never get sick .....but if they show a speck of ability, it coincides with trouble.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    That would be heartbreaking about the dead foals at birth - i wonder  what percentage that is - the professionals breeders would have the knowledge their 

A bloke i knocked around with at school - he had harness horses - plus bred some - and it was a great sight - the mares and the foals running around in the paddock 

As for ownership - many years ago i burnt plenty of dollars - buying yearling pacers out at the Randwick racecourse sales complex . None of them were any good - and i had to be careful - because if i saw something i liked - and its dam had any ability ( even if it was cranky and crazy - and thus  had a poor  race record  )- id want to buy it . I paid all the costs - breaking them in - the nom fees for the Bathurst series - didnt miss a payment  . I also bought a beautiful looking trotting bred horse - and to give it every opportunity - once broken in - i sent it down to Victoria - to Stewart Rothacker who was a gun square Gaitor trainer at the time - he had 3-4 really good ones  at the time . So there were costs costs - dollars dollars dollars spent left right and centre - and none of them ( even as impressive as they looked as yearlings ) were any good

However my view of ownership - and  obviously  love harness racing - is when i went out to Randwick and bought  them - no one held a loaded 303 at my head saying i had to buy them . It was my decision to buy them - and if your an owner and buying horses to make a profit - then you are in for the wrong reason . . Most owners - well i would any way - if one of those horses i had were ok - i would say to the trainer - break even with it and i will buy another one - and so on - just for the thrill of ownership

PictureSon1973 likes this post.

• PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    I suppose there’s 2 ways at looking at the highs & lows
    1- From a Business point of view SAVE YOUR MONEY The Odds of your horse squaring up
    Costs are Low actually making you money less than 5%
    2- For the Love & Admiration of the Horse Priceless positivity will be gained as there’s no
    better feeling of your horse trialling for the first time let enough experiencing the euphoria
    of a maiden race win..

Jay Jay we have to be full blown harness tragics because if I had the resources I’d jump
    straight back in because the love of the horse and meeting really good people is something
    I will continually subscribe to every day all day .

cisco likes this post.

Guilty as charged PictureSon......I don't disagree with a lot of what Marko posted, nobody forced into it, no loaded 303 required. Unless you are a big owner or stable, who obviously do it for the money as well as the pleasure, it is a money pit.  Was simply highlighting a dirty week or two.....I went to Bunbury tonight to hand over Ocean Beach for rehab. The horse owes me plenty but he was never ever heading to Southdale for processing into a pet food can. I mixed him up a nice bucket of tucker and bade him farewell, I know he will be given the life of Riley down in Busso. Good luck to him, it wasn't his fault his suspensory blew out. But, we could all do with fewer pie throwers launching missiles from the bleachers at the tragic try hards of the industry, without whom they would have nothing to bet on.

jum likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    JayJay said:

Yes and yes, to both flip flops (Neighlor raced in them his whole career) and Iodine with Castor Oil is currently being applied daily to Ossie, consulting the legend L.J.Robinson, bar shoes, trying everything known to man and horse.
    Was wondering what happened to Jack Mac, serious horse and seemingly overloaded with rotten luck. It is probably not a truism at all, one for the peddlers of miss-truth, but it does seem that slow ones lead a charmed life and never get injured, never get sick .....but if they show a speck of ability, it coincides with trouble.
    Who's rehabbing Ocean Beach JayJay? 
    An old farrier on Twitter suggested packing feet with sugar mixed with iodine, wrap in brown paper and then vetwrap. Then the next day paint with venice of turps, brown paper and vetwrap. Alternate for a week. It worked for 1 of ours last year and I need to get onto it for a couple this year. ugh lack of time. 

Ocean Beach is at Kym Neals. I have heard of the sugar deal before.....LJR has us standing him in buckets of warm epsom salts solution, which he happily complies with, drying out and then flooding the coronet band with iodine and castor oil mixture, bar shoes and keep confined to a box.
    Here's a nice reminder....a rising 11 year old maiden mare that wins at start number 8 at Keller today for a young driver only 8 years older than the horse. I bet RWWA hadn't anticipated paying out a first win bonus for this old girl, a bonus which is bigger than the winning stake. Sweet drive home for all concerned.
  • ashleighmpashleighmp    24 posts
    JayJay said:

Here's a nice reminder....a rising 11 year old maiden mare that wins at start number 8 at Keller today for a young driver only 8 years older than the horse. I bet RWWA hadn't anticipated paying out a first win bonus for this old girl, a bonus which is bigger than the winning stake. Sweet drive home for all concerned.

And what a sweet old mare she is! Big kudos goes to the Vlemmix family who have kept the mare all these years, especially with over 3.5 years between preps.

JayJay, curmudgeon likes this post.

Some serious blood lines and some high quality performers in her family.

Chris, VillageKid likes this post.

The Beltons lost grand mare Dior Mia More and her Tribeca foal due to foaling difficulties today......the breeding caper can be extraordinarily cruel at times, heart breaking loss.
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    It took 5 years to get little Kept Forever to the races. Every time she'd get down in time, she would go rough or start hanging, get filling in a tendon, get an abscess or a cold etc and she'd have time off. We would bring her back and itd happen again. Finally finally we got her there, she raced 4 times, two wins and 2 seconds (hanging bad and should have won). Got her out to jog and her knee is swollen and shes lame. Thought she'd banged it on her gate but after a week locked up and still being lame, got her xrayed and she has cracked her knee. Tough little thing has been racing with it. We were working on the hanging but the cause is obvious now so it seems her family's injury curse strikes again.
    This just makes me sad. Her two uncles Major Peace and Classic Peace and grandmother Peaceful Melody were brilliant, but injury cut their careers very short. Its not fair.