Is gene Simmons getting 7 figures to help watab

West Australian Racing
Is the rumour true and he seems to have vanished from the tabtouch site already

Comments

• detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    That advert was/is embarrassing. :-q

oldhendo, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• G-MacG-Mac    1,571 posts
    I just looked it up on Youtube and agree entirely with Detonator. How some of these ideas get past the storyboard stage is baffling.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    im stunned... 

G-Mac, freodockers likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Ineptitude on a grand scale. Who on earth is that sort of marketing aimed at?  One assumes the RWWA board signed off on this garbage?

G-Mac likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    One of the illustrious leaders has a marketing background.
    Makes it even worse.
  • meatpiemeatpie    418 posts
    cringeworthy

Gray likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    Effective immediately twice a week drug testing at RWWA, ---To cease when they all agree that  Fat Cat campaign will be beneficial.

thefalcon, freodockers likes this post.

• GrayGray    4,090 posts
    meatpie said:

cringeworthy

No joke that was exact word I thought of

meatpie likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    just saw it on ch9 news..... =P~ :-&
    i suggest they change ad agencies..

meatpie likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    I can't fathom who they were aiming at...did they expect a bunch of ageing rockers with facepaint to rock up on course or open a Tabtouch account? What was the target audience? Would today's young beautiful people have any idea who Gene Simmons is/was? A Meatloaf moment.

G-Mac likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    Basically trying to copy ladbrokes with mark wahlberg except missing the mark with gene. Embarrassing
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    475 posts
    OHHHH farkkkkkk meeeee, sack the whole marketing dept fair dinkum thats bloody shithouse ROFLLLL

savethegame likes this post.

• rooboyrooboy    1,423 posts
    Did not have a clue what you guys were on about till i just saw the commercial!
    Stuff me that made me want to vomit!

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,764 posts
    I posted that information for your attention back in November. Kiss Kiss
  • rooboyrooboy    1,423 posts
    Sorry Slip i thought you were batting for the other side so i didn't open it up! :x

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,764 posts
    Batting for the other side? Leave my middle stump out of this  ;))

freodockers, savethegame likes this post.

have RWWA left themselves open for any trademark infringement?
    RWWA had 60.000 account holders 12 months prior to  Covid then when the Band  ''Lock Down'' took the stage it went to 109,000 account holders.
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,692 posts
    I'm thankfully still none the wiser as to the ad itself but clearly these dh's do not have not a clue..

I like Marky Mark Wahlberg and while not sure about his set of ads either or their success he is a very popular guy so they were probably beneficial.
    For my money Shaq's ones for Pointsbet were good(their a pretty shithouse bookmaker though)and probably achieved the desired results.

jum likes this post.

• shothrushothru    244 posts
    I was  involved in the making of an add for the TAB about 18 months ago. Huge production 3 days filming, i believe half million doller budget. I saw the add once on SBS one night. Havnt seen it since. There goes my hollywood career
  • jumjum    3,516 posts
    The more I see it. The more it is growing on me  =))

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,847 posts
    People have noticed it and are talking about it despite the ordinary content.
    jum said:

Like a Wart-----Gene Simmons thought  the mil.was for  T.I.B. not  T.A.B
  • jumjum    3,516 posts
    jum said:

" you got the touch. Cmon Dougie" =))  <:-P 
  • psychopsycho    655 posts
    That's not Gene Simmons, looks more like Wes Cameron, although the curly hair is a query, maybe Richard Bell ?
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    edited February 2022
    Watching that stupid add with Gene, reminded me of another totally useless add campaign which went to air about 40 years ago, here in Melbourne.

Race clubs had lost literally thousands of racegoers to the TAB betting shops. As an example, the Blue Diamond in 1983, attracted 24,000 punters, in 1984, it was17,000 

So, in an effort to try and bring them back, they hired an add agency at great expense, and they came up with a jingle called "it's in the blood". 

It was filmed at Moonee Valley, and what you got were scenes of young people, that is, no one over the age of 25 standing at the fence, waving their betting tickets as horses raced by. Then you got a shot of them going to the tote.

Now, this was in a era where you had 100 bookies fielding at each track, you could get on for plenty, and if people actually did bet with the on course tote, unbeknown to most punters, was that the race clubs received an extra 5-7% I think it was, dividend, out of the on course tote turnover. I believe that is still the situation today, but stand to be corrected.

Yes,the clubs were getting plenty out of the TAB distribution, but every Committee man I spoke to, emphasised the importance of punters coming to the track and betting with the on course tote for that very reason.

My dad, me, some other bookies and Bill Collins and Jack Elliot, who was the leading racing writer at the time,and Mark Read's father in law, were sitting around having a beer at the Victorian Club. We started discussing the add, and my dad asked Elliot, who was full of praise for the add as he had been an advisor to the add company, why anyone watching it would bother coming to the track.

Dad said, you show lots of young people with TAB betting tickets, and you show them going to the tote window. They don't have to come to the track to do that, You have also totally ignored the over 25 age group. 

You haven't shown one shot of a bookie, or one of those young people going up to a bookie to have a bet, just to show all the people that  have been lost to the track, and who might watch the add, that we don't bite, and that they have a choice to compare the odds,of their selection, and that facility, is only available to those going to the track.

Dad said, you won't get one more person to the track. And he was right. Dad actually said to all of us, that it wouldn't matter how they advertised in an attempt to attract people back to the course, we had lost a generation since the TAB opened in Victoria, in 1961, and 20 years later, the effects to on course patronage had been disastrous.

You can't stop progress. However, sometimes, being progressive can actually be regressive. 
    We knew all the Committee men at the various clubs. They all liked a bet, and bet with my father as he'd give them 10/1 when a horse was 6/1. Aside from one of them, they were all $20.00 punters. The one that bet big, bet where he could get the best price.

From  time to time, we would talk about getting people back to the track. Cheap food, cheap beer prices etc etc. It all fell on deaf ears, as all they cared about, was getting over the odds, and free lunch with as much as you could drink in the committee room.

Aside from the big days, going to the track is a thing of the past. Yes, we are getting decent crowds at Sunday Country meetings, but that's about it. We did get a bit of a run when the Government eased restrictions and people just wanted to get out.

Unless RWWA, or whoever came up with that insult to the intelligence, are proactive, cheap beer prices, cheap food prices, and cheaper entry on a Saturday, they won't get one extra person through the gate. An example of cheap food, $7.00 for a 250 gram hamburger, $3.00 for a hot dog, $2.00 for a bucket of chips. Advertise that and see if you can get people to come.

And if you really want to do something that might get them to the track, do something that no Sate has ever done, but was suggested here in Victoria 40 years ago. Make the on course tote dividend 5% more than the off course one. They won't do it, and it's probably too late anyway.

Whoever it was, when the add company presented the add to them, approved that garbage, they should be sacked for destroying money that could have been added to prize money. God knows, Owners could do with it.

freodockers, thefalcon, Flanders likes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    299 posts
    I find the talk about food and drink prices very tiresome when it comes to attending the races. Go to anything like the AFL, local bar or a music festival and the cost is a lot more than the races. Raceclubs need to make money and when you compare the prices of drinks and food to other events they are definitely the cheapest
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Great post BL.

bookielover likes this post.

• Precision1Precision1    544 posts

I find the talk about food and drink prices very tiresome when it comes to attending the races. Go to anything like the AFL, local bar or a music festival and the cost is a lot more than the races. Raceclubs need to make money and when you compare the prices of drinks and food to other events they are definitely the cheapest

The examples you give are events that have no trouble drawing a crowd so can charge overs for these things.  

What will happen the next few months is people will become wary going to crowded places due to worrying about catching COVID and the WA government in its infinite wisdom is flagging reducing capacaties at indoor venues.  Perth racing needs to get on the front foot and explain the open spaces with outdoor tables at Ascot, you can have a day out and social distance at the same time.  
    ^^ great post, precision... :-bd