G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 7 Non Members

Yearlings for unreserved sale

West Australian Racing
I have 5 yearlings for sale and now available in the Inglis Online latest catalogue.

All unreserved sale. 

All have had a little preparation so have been handled by the great team at Forge On Park in Coolup (also foaled down and reared at Forge On... who are one of the best in the business).

Safegard x Newborn colt (half to Lipstick Flickers) - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000228.377.htm
War Chant x French Champagne (family of Marasco) - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000228.364.htm
Safeguard x New York Philly filly - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000228.376.htm
Androssan x Beauty's Rose  colt - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000228.345.htm
Ready for Victory x Plucky Rita colt - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000228.325.htm

Pics, videos, pedigrees, some xrays and all scopes available by following the links. 
+1 -1

Gilgamesh, Chris likes this post.

Comments

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    Don't be afraid of a cheapy. 

We sold Sinful Living to the Pearce boys for $10,000 at the 2023 Winter Sale. 2 x winner for nearly $250k including bonuses and went enormous in the Magic Millions last week.

We sold Indie Ruler to a bunch of mates for $20,000 in 2022. Now a 4x winner for $120k including bonuses.

All of the above are Westpeed eligible. 

AbbysAce likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    anybody interested, give me a yell..
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,678 posts
    Are you getting out of Racing Diva ?
  • spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    Where these horses eligible for the Magic Millions sale?
    not getting out as such... trimming down. 
    having said that, all of the yearlings go up for sale each year.
    5 went through the Magic Millions last week.
    These 5 didnt make it for various reasons...but mainly their pages. 
    The sale this year was extremely strong (there were 42 Playing Gods in it).
    Magic Millions simply have no time for War Chants and Safeguards. 

These yearlings are among the best presented in that catalogue (ive had a look at some of the others). They have all developed really well since Magic Millions inspected them last year. 

If you're looking for a cheap yearling, they'll all go for under $10k...maybe even under $5k. 
    Safeguard coltimage
    jpeg
    jpeg
    safeguard x newborn 2022.jpeg
    2M
    War Chant coltimage
    jpeg
    jpeg
    war chant x french champagne 2022.jpeg
    2M
    sale ends midday today. 
  • Yankee63Yankee63    11 posts
    Just on a different note anyone have rough training costs now i know there is going to be differences just roughly thanks in advance
    Dont think you can really say they have no time for Warchants or Safeguards. 6 Safeguards sold at an average of $33000
  • meatpiemeatpie    418 posts
    Think Magic Millions did a good job this year but think they let parts of the industry down with restricted numbers.
    Breeders encouraged to breed but those that didnt make the main sales have only one option with a traditional auction and that is selling in the Winter Sale. That is a long time, cost, risk of injury etc.
    Understand their reasoning but think there has to be an option for people who have bred to sell to have an earlier option than July.
    Only an opinion.
    Why would a smaller or first time breeder want to take the risk of waiting to July, particularly when there was plenty of encouragement to breed.

jum likes this post.

I thought they added approx 10% more stabling for the sale ? 
    spinking said:

Dont think you can really say they have no time for Warchants or Safeguards. 6 Safeguards sold at an average of $33000

Only 1 made it to Day One and that sold for $90,000. If you were trying to commercially breed, he isn't the Stallion to use. His Day Two average was just $22,000.

In respect to Playing God stock, there is going to be a stunning number of broodmares from these bloodlines in seven years time looking for outcrosses. It will be like winning Powerball finding the perfect match for what will be 500 plus mares by Playing God by the time his career is called to a halt. 
    You have more idea than me Damien but according to their online catalogue 6 sold for two hundred thousand total to my way of thinking that works out to an average of $33333. If thats not the case so be it
    spinking said:

You have more idea than me Damien but according to their online catalogue 6 sold for two hundred thousand total to my way of thinking that works out to an average of $33333. If thats not the case so be it

Devil is always in the detail. One vendor made $90k the rest ave $22k so that becomes the reality based purely on the mathematical common selling price. It's not to say you wouldn't get lucky but odds are you are going to bank not much more than your cost of production to get to the sales ring. 

Not making many War Chants anymore either. Been a very good stallion.

WA has an interesting time ahead say over the next five to six years. A lot of money will be spent and chased for questionable Stallions in the search for another money spinner like Playing God. 
  • FlandersFlanders    1,208 posts

spinking said:

Devil is always in the detail. One vendor made $90k the rest ave $22k so that becomes the reality based purely on the mathematical common selling price. It's not to say you wouldn't get lucky but odds are you are going to bank not much more than your cost of production to get to the sales ring. 

WA has an interesting time ahead say over the next five to six years. A lot of money will be spent and chased for questionable Stallions in the search for another money spinner like Playing God. 

Damien, who would you rate as the top 5 sires in WA (in order if possible)?
  • jumjum    3,516 posts
    Also, Damien, how do you rate Fernie's purchase of Winning Rupert. Do you think he will go well here in WA.  20 mares at $5k a pop and he is in front. might be a very astute buy in the end.
  • RodentRodent    7,043 posts
    Rupert has only had 3 stakeswinners (2 Listed and 1 Grp 3), with the last SW born in 2019.
    jum said:

Also, Damien, how do you rate Fernie's purchase of Winning Rupert. Do you think he will go well here in WA.  20 mares at $5k a pop and he is in front. might be a very astute buy in the end.

I replied on the other post but no more than $4,400 incl gst but if he wanted to get him off the ground he should stand for even less. 

jum likes this post.

Flanders said:

spinking said:

There are several answers but just for the two obvious, am I breeding commercially to take to the MM Yearling Sales ? or am I breeding to race in WA?

For the sales ring it is Playing God, you should be able to average four times your service fee with him. I suppose one or two of the new Stallions without priors might be worth taking a risk, but from a buyers perspective, I like proven so I tend to shy away from unproven stock. So for that reason, if I had a Saturday winning mare or better, she is on a truck to one of the many Stallions standing over here that you can get covered and home for under $30,000. You will still be able to offer the yearling with a Westspeed bonus and you should average between a three and four times return on investment.

For the racetrack is somewhat different. 

Playing God to my mind tends to be more towards 3yo so you may need to be patient, that's not to say they don't win earlier but I wouldn't want to destroy them by going too early. Also I would want a Colt/Gelding as he is fairly sex biased in his SW results towards the boys historically. At $33k a serve he is a genuine risk for a breeder when you consider the Interstate opposition in that price category.

I believe Awesome Rock is much better than what he has produced to date. His number of mares has been very low by comparison to others but if he doesn't get the best mares he can, then he will continue to produce mediocre results. His most recent $65,000 average over both days of the sale is only just acceptable. If on a tight budget with a non Danehill line mare, I would go to him. The thing is, I would most likely not go to him as his results are just 'too soft'.

Past these two I am struggling. I have no confidence in any Stallion with more than three crops on the ground that is still producing in WA.

I'm hoping for the sake of the local Industry, that someone has snagged a good one from the new boys but like I said, my mares would be on a truck.

savethegame, Flanders likes this post.

• meatpiemeatpie    418 posts

Flanders said:

spinking said:

There are several answers but just for the two obvious, am I breeding commercially to take to the MM Yearling Sales ? or am I breeding to race in WA?

For the sales ring it is Playing God, you should be able to average four times your service fee with him. I suppose one or two of the new Stallions without priors might be worth taking a risk, but from a buyers perspective, I like proven so I tend to shy away from unproven stock. So for that reason, if I had a Saturday winning mare or better, she is on a truck to one of the many Stallions standing over here that you can get covered and home for under $30,000. You will still be able to offer the yearling with a Westspeed bonus and you should average between a three and four times return on investment.

For the racetrack is somewhat different. 

Playing God to my mind tends to be more towards 3yo so you may need to be patient, that's not to say they don't win earlier but I wouldn't want to destroy them by going too early. Also I would want a Colt/Gelding as he is fairly sex biased in his SW results towards the boys historically. At $33k a serve he is a genuine risk for a breeder when you consider the Interstate opposition in that price category.

I believe Awesome Rock is much better than what he has produced to date. His number of mares has been very low by comparison to others but if he doesn't get the best mares he can, then he will continue to produce mediocre results. His most recent $65,000 average over both days of the sale is only just acceptable. If on a tight budget with a non Danehill line mare, I would go to him. The thing is, I would most likely not go to him as his results are just 'too soft'.

Past these two I am struggling. I have no confidence in any Stallion with more than three crops on the ground that is still producing in WA.

I'm hoping for the sake of the local Industry, that someone has snagged a good one from the new boys but like I said, my mares would be on a truck.

Think the Westspeed Platinum is having a huge influence on buyers buying preferences and will only grow as more stallions are introduced.

I agree it is having an overwhelming influence but first you have to win races. This year I understand that more than half of the two year races have again been won by Interstate Stallions. I ran some figures here a few years back including Westspeed money and going into the Karrakatta Plate the Interstate horses were level pegging even though they took home less money per start. Also all the SW were Interstate bred Stallions. I'm pretty sure that was the year Dan & Ben Pearce won with a Dig Deep 2yo whatever it was called. 

When you say the influence of Westspeed nominated Stallions, if it drives up the yearling sales prices, it also drives down in real terms the Interstate bred yearlings at WA sales. 

Ultimately, the swimming pool that is WA is very shallow. Essentially you are an isolated environment where false positives in breeding can occur. If you encountered the majority of well bred correct horses that clash every week in the Eastern States, the WA Stallions would have much weaker stats in every category. 

I did hear recently that Bob Peters is now breeding to Playing God. So some rules are mean't to be broken I guess.