G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 10 Non Members
Slow day at the office . Watching some old replays the Bunbury cup 1990 won by the Hippogrif trained by G.Martin ridden by R.Franklin (couple of good old blokes from across the ditch). What got me though apart from his fighting win was when the camerman panned over the crowd. Like all race meetings now days the BTC. could only wish for attendances this Saturday to be the same absolutly chockers the course was
+1 -1

jum, Manchild likes this post.

Comments

• ManchildManchild    702 posts
    Stakes day was a Tuesday & cup day was Thursday ,  the place was packed .
     If you got there late , you would have to park at the shopping centre over the road.

SLIPPERGOLDEN, spinking, JimmyPop likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    too right manchild. i went to a few rounds with dad. we stayed at the rose hotel and made bookings for the next year as we checked out. there were no swanky motels then.
    the good folk of bunbury were right peeved when they lost the 3 day carnival..golf etc on the wednesday.
    why do people f*ck up things that are running successfully?

JimmyPop, Manchild, SLIPPERGOLDEN, jum, spinking likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,764 posts
    edited March 7
    Falcon not so much the Rose Hotel but I had some great times and some lovely women at the Lord Forrest

jum likes this post.

• jumjum    3,516 posts
    edited March 7
    thefalcon said:

too right manchild. i went to a few rounds with dad. we stayed at the rose hotel and made bookings for the next year as we checked out. there were no swanky motels then.

the good folk of bunbury were right peeved when they lost the 3 day carnival..golf etc on the wednesday.
    I reckon it was changed because it was financially unviable anymore.
    I went to most stakes and cup meetings. The stakes' meeting crowd in the end before the change was a little more than a normal meeting. And cup numbers were dwindling. Economic sense said make it a marquee meeting and maximize your profit margin. The numbers just don't add up anymore to try and run two marquee events. Noone can afford to go two days anymore, especially if you like a drink. No change out of $200 for entry a bite to eat and 10 beers. Thats without having one single punt.
    Also having it on a Saturday and getting exposure nationwide would have been the real kicker and people don't have to take days off work.
    It actually works for me 

spinking, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    thefalcon said:

Please direct all queries to RWWA (circa 2003) and the economic rationalists who have slaughtered the industry via their metrocentric infatuation. They have successfully eroded the base of the pyramid causing its foundations to crumble. Major maladministration at principal metro clubs have ably assisted.
  • spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    Kalgoorlie round has gone the same way . Been on the slide for years now

jum, JayJay likes this post.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    R1 No6 Mean Machine has trialled like a machine a couple of trials over the 400m. Think it is in as short as $16 for the Karrakatta. Ive had a few dollars on it to jump and run today around the $4.

R3 No1 Halatorian returned to form with the stable change and also looks to benifit from better placement, yes has a lot of weight but has class on a lot of these and you can go 2by3 style to cover your bet.

R5 Missed the price Kia Ora Jewel but just needs to he close enough in running to get them, Gold Friars will get me instead hopefully getting out to 50/1 and powering home late.

R6 Flower in the wind super consistent will be going 1w4plce type basis.

R8 Similar in The Cup im on Queen Alina roughly 1.5w 3.5plc ratio. Just see this working out so well for her.

R9 Good luck to the Olly's Choice followers, surely todays the day???

sonny likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,238 posts
    Hot Zed best E/W for the day in the Stakes......

sonny likes this post.

Sounded like a fair crowd on course cheering them on in the first, also sounded like they'd been giving it a fair pre 12.00 nudge!

Lucky buggers.
    could blazing away make it 2 on the trot? maybe worth a few bucks at 71's.
  • meatpiemeatpie    418 posts
    Ritchie tipped first winner, was $26 when i looked this morning.

Sounds like a great crowd.
  • JimmyPopJimmyPop    320 posts
    Uncle Gerard is an absolute cat.

Chris likes this post.

• LETSDOTHISLETSDOTHIS    299 posts
    What a disgraceful track on Bunbury’s biggest day.

JimmyPop, detonator likes this post.

• licklick    307 posts
    Mingenew abandoned after one race???
    well oil beef hooked...i got 61's...should have had more on than a few bucks. but very grateful...

sonny, JimmyPop, Voodoo, Manchild, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    474 posts
    edited March 9
    Just returned from the Cup, hats off to the club. Big numbers but everything moved well. Much better than a big day at ascot, PR take note, Bunbury TC left your event team for dead.
    $8 beers and reasonable price food in the cafe, i applaud the club for not price gouging..
    Chicken Treat were charging $12 bucks a chicken roll, not the clubs fault but thats a bit disappointing.
    9.5/10 for the day.
  • GoddGodd    199 posts
    Is it just me or was this meeting (along with a lot recently) just superior ground being on the inside fence ? A lot of horses coming down the outside just seemed to hit a wall at the 200..

detonator, spinking likes this post.

• psychopsycho    655 posts
    Godd said:

Is it just me or was this meeting (along with a lot recently) just superior ground being on the inside fence ? A lot of horses coming down the outside just seemed to hit a wall at the 200..

I've been to two meetings at Bunbury in the last few months and on those 2 occasions you could not possibly make ground in the straight and on "those" occasions it had nothing to do with the track. You could see before race 1 that it was going to be impossible simply from where the wind was coming from, the breeze on those occasions was from behind them at the 1200-1400 metre start and blowing them to the home turn therefore the leaders were going to do no work and simply kick on the turn leaving those more than 3 lengths behind the leaders with an impossible task. Almost all meetings at Bunbury that I have watched this season has pretty much shown the same pattern

thefalcon likes this post.

• SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,764 posts
    thefalcon said:could blazing away make it 2 on the trot? maybe worth a few bucks at 71's.

That is better than a
    thumb in the bum Falcon

Manchild, spinking likes this post.

• NotapuntasNotapuntas    134 posts

Just returned from the Cup, hats off to the club. Big numbers but everything moved well. Much better than a big day at ascot, PR take note, Bunbury TC left your event team for dead.
    $8 beers and reasonable price food in the cafe, i applaud the club for not price gouging..
    Chicken Treat were charging $12 bucks a chicken roll, not the clubs fault but thats a bit disappointing.
    9.5/10 for the day.

It was a ripper day V.v. I went for the first 6 races, went to a family do at 4 then tried getting back in after the last. No go unfortunately 
  • detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    Great day at the Cup. Huge crowd. Done a great job with the revamp. 
    Shame about the fence being red hot. 
    psycho said:

Godd said:

I've been to two meetings at Bunbury in the last few months and on those 2 occasions you could not possibly make ground in the straight and on "those" occasions it had nothing to do with the track. You could see before race 1 that it was going to be impossible simply from where the wind was coming from, the breeze on those occasions was from behind them at the 1200-1400 metre start and blowing them to the home turn therefore the leaders were going to do no work and simply kick on the turn leaving those more than 3 lengths behind the leaders with an impossible task. Almost all meetings at Bunbury that I have watched this season has pretty much shown the same pattern
    It was quicksand two three four horses off the rails. It was embarrassing.

spinking likes this post.

• GoddGodd    199 posts
    Seems to be the trend in wa. Horses rocketing from back along the fence and simply in quicksand out wide . Hard watch

JimmyPop likes this post.

where are the complaints from owners, trainers and jocks?

Bushbookie likes this post.

thefalcon said:

All too hard for them to comment.
    Owners should have been outraged with the Bunbury track on Saturday. You had to lead or be positioned on the inside pad.
    Marty Young made a pertinent comment on Racing Radio yesterday. "owners need to breed speed horses." He is correct but it is a sad indictment on racing.
    Trainers would be scared to comment as they will then believe that it will affect their horses i.e. barriers, ratings etc.
    Jockeys just do their best. They are the best to comment on tracks. So often you pick up what they say in interviews.
  • Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    474 posts
    Stewards need to let horses scratch when a track is so biased like that.

There would be a few horses that just wasted a run on the track sat

• spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    If you have ever rang up and asked Jimmy ( WHEN YOU HORSE CONSTANTLY DRAWS BAD BARRIERS ) They will tell you it is all done by computer

thefalcon, JimmyPop likes this post.

Not sure if it would have effected field sizes but would have loved to see the rail out 2m or so.

That inside rail is bloody close to the road for the ambulance. Cant help but feel the closer you get to that the more compacted it would have been during initial build.

• shothrushothru    244 posts
    thefalcon said:

There are rules regarding what licensed people can say publicly, especially social media, many people have been fined for expressing opinions, i myself faced an inquiry for just that