0 Members & 8 Non Members

JUNE SALE

Breeding
SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
edited June 2013 Breeding
Very average catalogue with a couple of nice lots maybe worth checking out ,

Comments

• DaleDale    1,346 posts
    haradasun x courtroom from mary scotts place seems nice and a few of the touchstone give away's could be really good value. but i think this will end up like the april sale. $300 -$1000 horses for everyone...another failed MM/WA breeders "lets try this idea" there is just no optimism out there and it is more a "just buy a few cheapies and try them "scene at the moment. 

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,683 posts
    This sale is an 'on type sale' looking through the sales book is almost a waste of time. I wouldn't think that $300-1000 will buy anything other than the dregs and most will make reasonable money and their vendors will be happy enough.

This sale is a real opportunity in years to come for breeders to target late maturing stock that simply can't present enough appeal in February. 

Selling vendors just need to support the concept, but this year I don't think they had enough lead time. So I'm thinking that this time next year the catalogue will improve sharply.

HenleyBrook likes this post.

• DaleDale    1,346 posts
    a little tounge in cheek damo, seriously i was thinking maybe an 8k average, a few making 40-60 and the rest around the 5-12 mark with 10% making 2-4k. Tell me if that seems about right to you. and you are right. the sale will grow and hopefully you wont see too many yearlings at the winter/autumn sales.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Book looks better than I was expecting...............
  • SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
    Most lots will be $20,000 and under with a average of $3,500 to $4,500 anything does better it will be a real nice type
  • silkssilks    53 posts
    okay any thoughts on any yearling in the cat the general conversation around is that a lot of small time breeders will get chopped up now this is a shame  Mungrup pics look okay.

Look here is something that I live by in my horse purchasing rules.

I don't care who the vendor is.

I don't care how much they spend on wooing me to buy their stock.

I work for my clients in finding the best that they can afford to go to. That makes some sales toppers and others bargain buys.

If you are a small vendor and your stock is well presented, well fed, educated to some extent, conformation is good and the yearling has some upside, it doesn't matter to me at all that you are not some glamourous seller. Could just be your lucky day.

But to get a price you need someone else to be in interested as much as I am. Highest bidder wins. Fail to do most of the above and you can most likely sell to someone else.

It's not rocket science.

Tucool, Carlosa likes this post.

Lots 80 and 92 could be worth a look
  • magoo83magoo83    969 posts
    Passenger x oxidation very nice type
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    magoo83 said:

and did it's big sister run a nice trial on Monday??
    It's not a bad family, & passengers won't make young horses most so far seem to want a bit more ground.... Can't see why it didn't make the first sale other than the fact the sire will never throw a 2yo winner
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    It will be hard to get any of these horses up and running in 6 months..so if i bought one from here I'd pretty well resign myself for it to be late runner...there fore due to the way the prize-money is I'd only pay half the amount for it as i would in the first sale, as it cuts off a year(or the best part of it) of that exclusive restricted age money.
    Sorry Rio but I do not agree with your statement hopefully these yearling's will be developed a bit more due to having had more time to mature, so send them straight to the breakers then spell for a couple of months then back in work to hopefully race in the new year if it all go's to plan.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    no drama's Spud, it'll be interesting to watch what these late sale horses do..ie, when they get to the track...yes they could be there early in the year if everything goes well. But i feel that will be an exception. but at point of sale i wouldn't be taking the chance that i get that one...

However time from sale to track will probably be similar to the early ones...6-8 months for some, 12 months for most..it is the second group that will only get a limited shot at the restricted age prize money for 2 yr olds, that in my opinion will diminish their value....And i wouldn't pay full price for a limited opportunity to get into the early money.. i need to clarify that i still haven been fortunate enough to get a winning 2yr old, so i like to give myself as many opportunities as possible, and these ones don't do that IMO..
  • scenic11scenic11    231 posts

Just out of interest, how many horses have you bought Rio?

You seem to talk a lot about theories etc and finding reasons to see the negative in racing and yearling purchases.

I think it is a great buying opportunity for people looking for value and I am sure there will be lots of winners sold from this sale.

As these horses are more mature they can get broken in and do a prep quite quickly.  They will probably cope better and be stronger as a result. The yearlings I  have bought in the middle of summer have often gone backwards before they go forwards and taken longer. I've put that down to the extreme hot weather they have to endure during their sales prep and time spent at the sales yard.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    i'm into my 5th one out of yearling auctions and about 15 all up(not bought/owned outright all of them, but certainly been a part of the process)...but I'm a great believer in the theory that you don't have to have leukemia to know it kills you...So i believe you don't have to have bought yearlings or owned horses to have a theory on it..

These later purchases are a new concept to yearlings for me, and it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference or not
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    just a question for you @scenic11, why do you need to know how many horses i've bought??? I supplied the answer for you, but why does it make a difference if i've bought none or 20??? The only time I've had that sort of questioning of me done is when I've been chatting to some of the higher profile breeders who talk to me like i am a piece of crap..and even once being so rude to ask who are you??? Your not another knob head WA breeder who thinks that the only people who are important are the ones that have bought horses off of them are you??

So a little explanation of why that is important would be nice, seeing as how i supplied the answer for you.

Dale likes this post.

• Buddy23Buddy23    127 posts
    magoo83 said:

Just had a look at the pics of this horse posted on mm website and ive seen better boned legs on a duck.Nice family but I wouldn't call it a very nice type.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Buddy23 said:

magoo83 said:

Just had a look at the pics of this horse posted on mm website and ive seen better boned legs on a duck.Nice family but I wouldn't call it a very nice type.
    it may have been the way she was standing??
  • Buddy23Buddy23    127 posts
    edited June 2013
    RIO said:

Buddy23 said:

magoo83 said:

it may have been the way she was standing??

thats always a possibility but the photo doesn't look good

RIO likes this post.

• scenic11scenic11    231 posts
    RIO said:

just a question for you @scenic11, why do you need to know how many horses i've bought??? I supplied the answer for you, but why does it make a difference if i've bought none or 20??? The only time I've had that sort of questioning of me done is when I've been chatting to some of the higher profile breeders who talk to me like i am a piece of crap..and even once being so rude to ask who are you??? Your not another knob head WA breeder who thinks that the only people who are important are the ones that have bought horses off of them are you??

So a little explanation of why that is important would be nice, seeing as how i supplied the answer for you.

I only ask how many horses you have had as a lot of your comments seem to reflect little knowledge or experience. Generally when people have owned a few they start to learn a bit.

That was my only reason for asking.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I'd suggest that a lot of my comments appear to reflect a different learning experience to what you have had.  Not that you have advised how much of an experienced horse buyer you are, so i'd only be guessing that you do actually know what your on about..

I'm pretty comfortable that my opinion is different to others...After all it is mine, and shows an unusual trait within this industry of actually being able to think for ones self, rather than following the propaganda put out by some breeders to prop up their own poorly performing stock..

As a third generation horse owner, i'm very comfortable with the decisions i make..even more comfortable that no-one knows me, or cares about who i am...or who i'm connected to..very refreshing actually. But then again i do stay away from the important people within our industry...well the self designated important people anyway.....
    ;)

Carlosa likes this post.

Some half decent horses have come out of mid-year yearlings sales. Rocketman and Princess Coup to mention a couple. As I have said previously, this sale will only get better in time, but I think this year there are bound to be a couple of handy horses out of the 130 or so on offer.

Now don't you boy & girls let me buy all of them now ?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    i certainly wont be out bidding you on anything Damo..even thoguh thre are one or two that are interesting. But as stated above...will sit back and watch this one this year, and see what results come from it.
    Buddy23 said:

magoo83 said:

Seen her in person not too long ago and much better than the photos, none of their photos do them any justice

Just on the question of photo's, for the February sale I have been given the all clear to offer both images and video that can and will be used on the Magic Millions catalogue pages, the Vendors will be able to use also on their homepages and even for those on Facebook.

Now if all of this sounds daunting to those who don't have a lot of experience, I can do all of the above. This service will be offered at a fee, and for those vendors in the great southern there will be a window of opportunity so I can maximise the most lots covered on the one road trip.

The video will be shot from several angles with or without an informative critique. More details will be available later in the year. 
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Glad I'm not a breeder
  • Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    Anybody make any purchase at this sale?
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    not us...but i do believe there was at least one site poster who made a purchase..i wasn't too impressed with a lot of the stock, but the prices reflected a lot less than even i thought they'd go for..The large majority who bought today, got a very good deal on the purchase price IMO