G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 35 Non Members

JUNE SALE

Breeding

Comments

• DaleDale    1,346 posts
    17 horses sold over 16k 3 of them eastern. Then a big gap to lot 78 sold for the strange price of $9091... haven't done the numbers but it seems only a 50% clearance..... what does this say.........
    i did read last week a racing pigeon sold last week in germany for $42k.

• Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    Just had a look geezzz not wrong bit a good time to be a small time breeder!!
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts
    edited June 2013
    Serious question not having a shot  Damien  the Passenger that got $28000 must have been an outstanding type? and also the Patronize out of good mare for $25000 also did you see it?
  • SPUDLEYSPUDLEY    1,584 posts
    Well l hate to say it but what a average sale at least I picked out the top lot as the New Approach's are very nice types and Damien you had better pray a lot as I would never buy Passenger in a pink fit especially a $28,000 one must have been a cracker as I did not even bother going  today. Passenger has been such a sad story huge price as a yearling very good books as a stallion only 1 winner as far as I know I feel sorry for Steve must be a huge let down. This industry can be really cruel sometimes.
  • whereamigoingwrongwhereamigoingwrong    260 posts
    The New Approach I was also interested in had it checked. Not good reading has tendon issues. My vet told me to run as fast as I could. So I would love to see how that goes for the money paid.

The Passenger that Damien bought I couldn't believe the price but according to all my contacts it was a stand out. 

Good luck to all you buyers hope your dreams come true.
  • DaleDale    1,346 posts
     i do rate vital equine but a few results are obvious. TS is in all sorts of strife.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited June 2013
    Most of the Passengers looked good, but next to no chance of running as 2yr olds..they are very big animals, but they do look very uniform...just i couldn't imagine them as 2yr olds, and that could explain the lack of results so far..i wouldn't give up yet..Could be another Helenus/Mosayter story. I would certainly be happy to get one of them and sit on them for a year or two.

Some of them were very nice types...even the Fath's that were there were okay shape.. I'll admit a lot of these horses were more advanced and more race type looking....But i wont renege on the fact that i feel the majority probably went for their current market value..Some very poor mares in amongst these and some shouldn't be in the system after 4 or 5 foals and no results...IMO
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    edited June 2013
    Evening all, another good day at the sales. When I got there at 9 AM, I thought I would have to buy something as there were not many souls out looking. But they did turn up late morning. Magic Millions did two really good things for buyers today, firstly a free breakfast until about 10 AM, then an open bar until at least half way into the selling. So congratulations to David and his team.

As for the three lots I purchased on behalf of clients, lot 99 the Passenger out of Gr 2 winner Only Glory, was a very well put together larger yearling that needs to be gelded immediately for his own health. Whether he can run or not is always the issue and the risk of any horse that is purchased as a yearling, but he fulfilled all of my criteria in respect to 'type'. I went over my allowed budget to secure him, but then again I told my client he was worth every bit of $40,000 so I think I got him at a reasonable cost. He will go to Jim Taylor.

Lot 106 is a nice enough McFlirt. I have never purchased one before but I have every confidence in the breeder and I think he has some scope for the future. At $4,000 he was an easy horse to purchase. He goes to Eric Wake.

Lot 131 was a little different in that as a Choisir out of an unraced sister to a Gr 2 winner, he was back at the knee slightly but a great bodied horse. Very good size and standing across plenty of ground. In learning that the reserve was only $20,000 it put him back into the picture, as had they been after a lot more I wouldn't have recommended his purchase. He goes to Jim Taylor. Interestingly, another leading Trainer rang me chasing the horse for his yard but my client had already promised the colt to Jim. Again he will be gelded sooner rather than later.

My pick and the one I was most happy to have purchased was lot 99 though. Had he been by several other Stallions that I have purchased their stock in the past, I would have been paying a lot more.

So fingers crossed.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

Magic Millions did two really good things for buyers today, firstly a free breakfast until about 10 AM, then an open bar until at least half way into the selling. So congratulations to David and his team.

Pity they didn't offer or advise everyone of this... You must be in the special club Damien, i got quizzed for taking a pen!!!
    goose said:

Serious question not having a shot  Damien  the Passenger that got $28000 must have been an outstanding type? and also the Patronize out of good mare for $25000 also did you see it?

I thought the Patronize just needed a bit more height as the ones I had seen previously had all been big brutes. His dam is doing a great job at stud so $25,000 is not a lot for that page.

The Passenger should have been in the February sale, simple as that.
    Rio I sent it out on Facebook about the free breakfast. I didn't know about the bar until 80 lots into the sale. But both good moves from MM
    Can I also add, I was very keen on lot 62 the Hala Bek out of Grand Orient. It was an outstanding staying prospect and Paul Jordan and I spoke about him prior to him walking into the ring. Paul was the under bidder. I just wish I would have had a client on him, he looked a 4yo that would not get warm under 2000M but would have been fun when he did.

Also I couldn't win on lot 102 and gave up approaching $20,000. Nice filly though.
  • goosegoose    1,628 posts
    Thanks for the reply my own belief for what it is worth is that any sire can throw a good horse given the right mare or cross and then an athletic horse so not surprised that people are paying good money for horse out of lets say less commercial sires.
    The Hala Bek as you say looks a good stayers pedigree just need alot of patience.

Tivers likes this post.

• magoo83magoo83    969 posts
    Best presented horses by far were the blackwatch stock, The passengers won't show much until late 3 early 4, and will probably want to get Over a bit of ground,

I agree Damien the only glory colt should have been in the first sale, but so should the oxidation filly both cracking types
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Surprised how little the oxidation filly went for...All Blackwatch looked good, even though a few of them had a reluctance to get onto the stage
    RIO said:

Surprised how little the oxidation filly went for...All Blackwatch looked good, even though a few of them had a reluctance to get onto the stage

full explanation is on your facebook message board

RIO likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    I actually though the results were quite decent.
    Ave sale price was double that of the equivalent sale last year for starters...

"Haters be haters" ? ;)

goose likes this post.