G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 44 Non Members

Do Breeders in WA have a limited shelf life ?

Breeding
DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
edited May 2015 Breeding
Something that came up in discussion regarding Magic Millions Sales in
WA, was that the most successful owner of the last season, Bob Peters,
is not a supporter of the feature sale, only secondary sales when it
suits him. He purchases mostly in the East and with good reason, as he buys quality stock that gets given every chance here. Winning 50% of the feature races this season, has not left a
lot of the pie for those owners who regularly support WA Breeders with
their commercial herds, by buying their yearlings at commercial sales.

If
you throw in several more like Universal Ruler stock, that are
overwhelmingly home breeds, half of them are winners this season, and a
few smaller bit players that breed in modest numbers and either sell off
the farm directly or retain to race, then it is not difficult to see
that Magic Millions have been selling stock in WA for the first time
that have been less than dominant in the winners circle.

The
facilities at Belmont show no signs of improving in the slightest.
Construction of the long promised redevelopment is no closer today than
in the previous ten years of broken promises. The sales complex is third
world according to vendors and clients alike, and must be a source of
bemusement for any Interstate or International buyer who finds
themselves in Perth.

Each year the number of yearlings offered
for sale has shrunk, so it is reasonable to assume that this trend is
not going to slow down, and with a clearance rate that is the worst in
the country for this most recent sale, I don't think it will take much
for Magic Millions to reconsider their position in WA and perhaps pull
up stumps.

These are things that need to be discussed. I don't know if anyone really cares. But it does concern a few of us.
+1 -1

RIO likes this post.

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited May 2015
    It is a concern is as much as WestSpeed is the key to everything financially (as an owner racer).

As in the collapse of local breeding, and the Withdrawl of WestSpeed - would just make it easier for the big wallets.
    WestSpeed is what allows those of us on smaller budgets to compete.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Didn't read your write up Damo, just answering the question.

NO, but expensive stallions may be. There will always be a need to breed for the volume of racing we have, but not for regular Saturday runners.....Tivers highlights why it is holding it together at the moment
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited May 2015
    Tivers said:

It is a concern is as much as WestSpeed is the key to everything financially (as an owner racer).

As in the collapse of local breeding, and the Withdrawl of WestSpeed - would just make it easier for the big wallets.
    WestSpeed is what allows those of us on smaller budgets to compete.

Withdrawal of Westspeed? :O 1st I've heard of it @Tivers  - What's the mail there?

Thoroly_Bread likes this post.

Wasn't aware that BP bought his stock at interstate sales - was under the impression he bred most of his own albeit using bulls based at interstate studs.

Have noticed a lot of WA buyers at the sales east of the rabbit fence in the last 18 months or so, it will be interesting to see if the quality/competitiveness of racing locally improves when these interstate bred horses hit the track in a couple of years, maybe even next year for the babies.

Also noticed at least one WA stud has a few in the upcoming yearling sale at the GC - is this a sign of things to come?

The initiatives put in place recently - both the Stallion and Stakes winning Mares incentives are a step in the right direction IMHO, however the choice of Stallions here is not that great at the moment.

The recent sale showed that local buyers will not be tempted by below average stock and breeders need to realise this if they wish to prosper
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    WA Studs selling Interstate has been happening for a couple of years now. Gold Front sold with success on the East Coast for a couple of years and Mogumber Park is venturing that way as well with particular stock for those markets. Mogumber are also committed in future years of taking Safeguard stock over East as well, using an approach that success in different locales will be good for the Stallion in an effort to illustrate to local breeders that his stock will be good enough no matter where it is purchased.

As far as I understand Bob Peters purchasing, he has always chased high quality mares through East Coast sales, sending them to the best of matched Stallions, and raced the offspring here until good enough for him to take East and race. In recent times he has bought into Stallions for that same purpose. But he seldom supports the premier yearling sale here, instead selling at the Winter Sale, with stock leaving his system. He has on occasion bred to local Stallions, but this is rare.

Essentially he puts into the Eastern States breeding operations, and takes out of the WA. He races here under Westspeed rules, as he qualifies being a WA based owner/breeder, but as most people would be aware, that system was setup to support the commercial endeavours of WA based breeders in supplementing drafts going to Perth MM sales, but through this loophole has allowed those who breed to race with financial backing, to do so across borders and nothing in the way of real returns come to the WA breeding industry, for whom this scheme was established to support.

Several other people have done it as well, so he is not alone, and I am not suggesting he is doing anything other than what he can do. Mostly because the scheme was ill conceived and it allowed its own manipulation.

But none of this supports WA breeding. The commercial viability of Magic Millions sales in WA is the reason for me raising these points. Stock on offer at those sales are more and more, not winning at the top end and buyers are looking to other markets as it is getting tougher and tougher to win a race in Perth on a Saturday.

Would have to think that if next years sale mirrored this years then they would seriously consider pulling the pin.

Some-one else will take it on
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    not sure who??? If RWWA was as it is, they could be convinced to under right the Breeders Association to do it.....but that cash cow is about to be shut forever
    edited May 2015
    On a side note I see Delicacy's dam was bought by Scenic Lodge for the princely sum of 4k. No idea what BP paid for her.

He entered her in a sale then withdrew as he did with Delicacy - she was in last years Perth Autumn Sale before being withdrawn #:-S
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Legless said:

Would have to think that if next years sale mirrored this years then they would seriously consider pulling the pin.

Some-one else will take it on

Agree, they couldnt spin anything good out of this years sale.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    As for someone taking it on Inglis wouldnt touch it.

RIO likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    talk about a poisoned challis.... :-&
    Inglis have no interest in anything West of Melbourne. No if Magic Millions decided WA was no longer viable,  we would be reduced to individual farms holding sales, much in the same way Yarradale conducted their recent event.

This would reduce our local Industry to just selling to local buyers, but when it is all said and done, just how many yearlings go Interstate out of our sales ?
    Anyone watching the National Weanling Sale from the Gold Coast ? It is a pinhookers paradise there today.
    Yesterday at Belmont was not a bad day for yearlings bought at WA Sales / Homebreds.

Does anyone know of a WA site that shows the % of Saturday winners either bought at WA sales or homebred?
    edited May 2015

Anyone watching the National Weanling Sale from the Gold Coast ? It is a pinhookers paradise there today.

Some big prices paid particularly for Pierro progeny. Lowest reserve so far for one of his - $120K.
    for a 1st season sire..... :-?
    bob has a share in him so a few of his mares will have a foal or two on the ground.
    The Westspeed budget will increase by $1million and the implementation of the
    Westspeed Sires Scheme will be brought forward by a year, making all nominated
    runners by a Western Australian sire eligible to receive an additional bonus of $10k
    for each Saturday Westspeed win which will increase to $15k in the following
    season. 
    So if I have this correct......................

Originally - 2014 Breeding season = eligible for $15,000 bonus.
    Brought forward a year = 2013 Breeding season = 2014 foals = 2016 2yo's will be eligible for $10,000 bonus ?

They then as 3yo's, plus 2017's 2yo's will be eligible for the full $15,000 bonus ?
    For my two bob re the bonus in general................... Would rather have seen $10k paid for Saturday, $5k paid for Midweek, rather than just $15k to Saturday.

Again - too much being paid to too few.
    Where can you se the find print on this incentive ? I think it is open to manipulation
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Tivers said:

Again - too much being paid to too few.

Sorry to edit your statement Tivers. But the above is what happens regularly with most RWWA funding increases. they continue to miss the market requirements.

Yes it is good to keep the top end of town buying and breeding(this has to be done), however at the other end are the battlers who though they bought a Saturday runner and end up with a Narrogin struggler. It really does very little to encourage them to have another shot next year...And this is the market that RWWA haven't targeted too well, even the breeders/stallion owners have cottoned on to a free return, which helps breeders give it another shot. But nothing for the owners.

GaryH likes this post.

edited May 2015
    Where can you se the find print on this incentive ? I think it is open to manipulation
    http://www.rwwa.com.au/home/westspeed.html

"Hidden away" under WestSpeed on RWWA site
    ;)

So to win a Saturday race as an Owner / BREEDER of a WA bred and sired horse, you will receive a total stake of $75,140
    (Taking advantage of all bonuses on offer)

And I guess that's the selling point.................(why all lumped in on a Saturday)
    Perth Magic Millions 2015, saw 20 Lots make $90,000 or more. Of the top 20, 9 were bred to WA based Stallions, 11 to Interstate based. Of those 9, 6 of them made $105,000 or less.

Now this is nothing more than what the marketplace was willing to pay for WA bred stock this year, but I believe it does show the mindset of purchasers when schemes like Westspeed Sires Scheme are discussed. The 'good' stock, and this doesn't take into account WA breeders who send their mares East and retain that stock, need a hell of a lot more in the way of support to make WA Stallions commercial.

It is difficult to win Saturday racing in any season, but it ain't getting easier. The current season demonstrates that clearly.

Can I suggest, as I have before, that RWWA should pay attention at the grassroots level for ways to show their support. Saturday racing doesn't need more money thrown at it for local bred horses, because there is enough incentive already in place. Midweek and Provincial and even Country, need a lower level of support but across a broader base. That will put real money into the hands of people who haven't purchased a Saturday or Stakes quality horse and are just trying to support the local industry on a reduced budget or syndicated level.

Tivers, GaryH likes this post.

I will endorse the Westspeed Stallion Scheme on one condition only.

All
    Stallion owners who participate, cannot claim on stock they breed for
    themselves and retain or part thereof. The only beneficiaries shall be
    those who purchase privately, at auction, or breed their outside owned
    mare to that nominated Stallion.

Tivers dislikes this post.

So you're endorsing more pumped up sales and run through's, and commissions paid to MM for nothing ?
    That's just lining Gerry Harvey's pockets
    No, I am encouraging more people to breed to a WA Stallion if they are limited in budget and are happy enough to occasionally get a Saturday winner, mostly Wednesday, but get rewarded for keeping their business local. What I don't like is the manipulation of every scheme that comes down the pike from ill informed public servants who just live in towers and seldom talk to those who live their hopes and dreams in the back stalls of ordinary racetracks around the State.

It is nothing to do with lining Gerry's pockets, you seem to bang on about this a lot. It's about WA stock being commercial and competitive. It's about Stallion owners or those who wish to be, going out and getting a decent Stallion like Blackfriars or Oratorio, who can produce stock that can ward off the best of the Interstate bred horses.

Where this scheme fails is that it was ill thought out. For the cost of $5,000 or the advertised stud fee of your WA based Stallion, you could nominate for this scheme. That is a very cheap payback for anyone who sends a handful of mares to their own bull, then gets to race them for bonus money on Saturday's unavailable to most because those horses were not offered. At the very least, it encourages owners of stallions to keep in their opinion, those stock that would attract the most attention of buyers at a sale, but instead they dumb down the sold stock and use this incentive scheme to cloak the crap in promises of riches to come.

GaryH likes this post.

If you can't beat them, join them...... (Breed to win)
    i'd love to see UR cover a really good, proved mare.
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    what like Rebel sister? yes, that would be really interesting.